Maniac

The Recreation Commons

901 posts in this topic

Most likely you inadvertently changed the zoom on your browser.

Well there we go Cntrl+0 fixes it.

Not really sure how I managed to change my zoom but thanks for the idea.

Seems rather selfish. Any idea why we aren't allowed to continue to enjoy his content? :(

Yeah, how selfish, imagine a writer/artist wanting to retain control over what they create, and when/where it is displayed. Almost sounds like copyright.

Yeah, how selfish, imagine a writer/artist wanting to retain control over what they create, and when/where it is displayed. Almost sounds like copyright.

There are different ways to handle situations like this. For instance back when Buster's Uncle was having disagreements with WPC he made it very clear that he did not want me using his artwork at WPC. While not very happy about it (I put an awful lot of work into my Beta Lyrae mod, which heavily depended upon his graphics work, so the mod was useless without it) why I respectfully complied, and I never used any of his work here at WPC. I think the same sort of agreement could have been reached for you in that we (the AC mods) could've ensured your work wasn't used elsewhere, or barring that we could have deleted the thread if that was what you truly wished.

Regardless, in the future if you could give us the benefit of the doubt, that would probably be helpful.

D

-Yeah; I've been in a slightly similar postition with the management, but you know that Darsnan, bdanv and I will take care of you and protect you posting here in AC. (I didn't have that option.) This is somewhat one of those things that seemed important at the time, but not so much later. I know that from my own experience.

Your problem isn't in AC, and everyone wants you back here, where you are cherished. You are. Ask anyone.

Oh, and there's this that I've learned of late: one of the many things that is a huge pain about being a moderator is that people tend a little to treat you like The Man, even when you're not speaking in an official capacity at all. (I was a scold and a nag as a citizen, but people take it way too seriously when I do it now.) That is what I saw when I read the thread where the argument happened - them guys were clearly speaking as their (America-hating ;)) selves, not at all as staff. Mods are people, too, and you have to give those of us who aren't doing all the work or running a forum merely for the joy of having power over people (which does not describe the staff here) the chance to participate and enjoy themselves like anyone else, or we're not going to be here doing all that work for long.

(Rudeness in official behavior is another story, something that I, too, have zero tolerance for.)

Spending much time on forums engaging in not-real-time conversation teaches us to compartmentalize/multitask to an extent - you have to, if you're going to last and enjoy yourself. I've been in the postition before of cussing someone out in one subforum while conversing pleasantly with the same guy in another. You have to learn to keep all the tracks going at the same time somewhat seperate. It's doable, with practice. It's not even that difficult.

Would it help if I reread the thread and blessed some people out on your behalf? I'm willing, within reason, to do what it takes to make you happy, chuft. :nod:

Chuft: Of course you have all the right in the world to choose how and where you publish the fruits of your labor. I would like to put forward a humble request that you reconsider sharing it with this community. Like BU said, we appreciate it!

The Quick Reply box doesn't seem to work. I am still trying to get used to this version of vbulletin. Seems like it was released before it was fully cooked, rather like Sword of the Stars 2, which I am very glad I didn't buy.

I do have everything from this AAR saved, but it appears the upgrade shrinks images on the fly when displaying them, which would pretty much trash a lot of the screencaps for the replay. Maybe we can get this issue addressed; from my research just now, the maximum image width appears to be a parameter set by the admins for each viewing style (that you choose from the Quickstyle Chooser at the bottom of the page, or from your Settings). Hopefully we can get them to greatly increase it from the default (800 for most styles, 640 for the Gamer style) or else make a new one like "WPC Wide" that would have a very wide width set for images.

Would it help if I reread the thread and blessed some people out on your behalf? I'm willing' date=' within reason, to do what it takes to make you happy, chuft. :nod:[/quote']

Thanks very much, but it's probably best to leave dead things buried and rotting, which is pretty much how I felt about that thread - even while it was recent.

The Quick Reply box doesn't seem to work. I am still trying to get used to this version of vbulletin. Seems like it was released before it was fully cooked, rather like Sword of the Stars 2, which I am very glad I didn't buy.

I do have everything from this AAR saved, but it appears the upgrade shrinks images on the fly when displaying them, which would pretty much trash a lot of the screencaps for the replay. Maybe we can get this issue addressed; from my research just now, the maximum image width appears to be a parameter set by the admins for each viewing style (that you choose from the Quickstyle Chooser at the bottom of the page, or from your Settings). Hopefully we can get them to greatly increase it from the default (800 for most styles, 640 for the Gamer style) or else make a new one like "WPC Wide" that would have a very wide width set for images.

These crappy display issues have been annoying me for months now, so I hear you. It's another one of those deals where I really wish they'd just give ME the access to take care of it and let me figure it out. Waiting on others chafes a lot. But if we wait 18 days until WPC's tech guy has a decent internet connection, I will join you and whoever else we can put up to it in raising heck until something is done. I'm gonna go raise the issue again in the Staff Room, but nothing's happening until about February.

This was a great read. It'll be good to see it back again if possible. :) But yeah, get image displaying sorted. So annoying. :p

I might need backing to convince Donald it's important about the beginning of Feburary...

yes 800 pixels is not a lot when the normal SMAX resolution is 1024, and I was playing 1680....

I might need backing to convince Donald it's important about the beginning of Feburary...

I would be surprised if the Civ IV and Civ V crowd weren't complaining as well, those are more modern games than SMAC, with higher resolutions I would think, it has to be mutilating their screenshots.

They are, actually. Andydog has had no end of trouble, but Donald can't look in there because of a team thing. BTW? It's the 18th, not in 18 days - we can start in on the nagging Wednesday, if his internet provider comes through...

I have started restoring the content here. It will likely take several days since it is tedious work.

Please feel free to delete or move any posts not related directly to the AAR (and there are a fair number) since they have little or no long term value for anyone coming here looking for an AAR/Let's Play to read.

I'll look through it today and do that.

Edit: 31 posts that will no longer make sense ;) moved here from the LazyAAR, as requested.

Edited by Buster's Uncle

Es nada, my perky, pink-haired, friend. The nice part of having mod powers is being able to hook people up like that.

You might be a cake-baking pirate if...

(Standup by Magnus' average comedian cousin, Hakkon.)

You don't want to hear his material about Stephie and the Olsen twins. That's how he got banned from Lazytown.