Russia4Life

Game of the Month general discussion thread

108 posts in this topic

The November GotM will be a new scenario made by Darsnan - "A City called Armagedon".

I'm still waiting submissions for the September GotM - Sister Miriam and the Nine Vestibules of Hell.

Deadline is tomorrow October, 11 at 12:00 (Noon) GMT.

the game of the month of December will be an Uni waterworld scenario (by Darsnan) called "What lurks beneath the surface". :boat:

Submission for the November GotM will be due on Sunday, December 6th, at 12:00 (Noon) GMT.

i'm still waiting for new ideas/scenarios for the future GotMs. anyone (besides Darsnan) interested? :naughty:

the game of the month of December will be an Uni waterworld scenario (by Darsnan) called "What lurks beneath the surface". :boat:

:expect:

I was just wondering why Iron Man mode is not imposed on GOTM scenarios

give me a good reason and i'll do it.

give me a good reason and i'll do it.

People could reload to get favorable results, for instance mind worms decide to screw with you u get a 2 to 3 odds of winning a battle. keep reloading until you succeed. Also exploitable for getting better stuff from scattered pods.

_________

I also have an idea for a scenario, I am however inexperienced with creating scenarios. I have used the editor to edit terrain but never anything major.

Basically my idea is a scenario where you must win by conquest on a larger map, without any air units, missiles or crawlers(Though the AI should have access to these units, not sure if that would be doable though if units can be disabled for single factions or if it is a global setting). Probably using the Pirate faction. I am not a very creative person but I am sure a reasonable story could be made up for why air units are unavailable. Bad atmospheric conditions, completely inept pirate scientists or something. I think it would make for an interesting change from how normal games unfold strategy wise.

starting with the March GotM (UNSA - United Nations Space Agency), we have a new award for the 'Best GotM rookie'.

eligible players: everyone excepting the players with submissions for the 2009 GotM Competition (zsozso, Vishniac, Mart and Elliot).

starting with the March GotM (UNSA - United Nations Space Agency), we have a new award for the 'Best GotM rookie'.

eligible players: everyone excepting the players with submissions for the 2009 GotM Competition (zsozso, Vishniac, Mart and Elliot).

With all the different people I see on the forum and there are only 4 people that participate in the game of the month? :huh: I would have thought there would be many more participants. Or is it that people play them but do not submit their scores?

Given the number of downloads, I naturally suspect the latter.

A month is not a very long time to complete a game if you don't have much free time to play, and/or have full-length games running. Perhaps people download and play the scenarios but don't finish them in time to be in the contest? That's what I would probably do.

I know I downloaded the March GOTM but I didn't have time to play it before the April GOTM came out.

the gotm time limit has been extended to about 2 months, i.e. Unsa is not due until May 5th and Jihad woun't be due until beginning of June! so hopefully you can have a bit more space to play and submit within the time limit. :)

the gotm time limit has been extended to about 2 months, i.e. Unsa is not due until May 5th and Jihad woun't be due until beginning of June! so hopefully you can have a bit more space to play and submit within the time limit. :)

Good thinking! I might even be able to hand in a finished game of Jihad, then. :clap:

i did some testing and, surprisingly, the AI understands the combat modifiers and was building mainly native units.

I guess the AI is a little smarter than I give it credit for.:eek:

How many different scenarios are in the works for GotM? Is there a way to see possible upcoming scenarios or ideas that are in the works for them?

I pretty much got the basics of the scenario editor down now, and I have always know how to use the terrain editor. I have been considering trying to make a scenario, so I was wondering if I did decide to make one if it could possibly be used in the GotM competition.

Yeah, the ai does seem to play in character, not tested much, but my 'Terran' faction did cover their island in trees when i played against them ;) coincidence?

Has anyone ever figured out a way to make the AI use supply crawlers effectively, or even at all for that matter?

Has anyone ever figured out a way to make the AI use supply crawlers effectively, or even at all for that matter?

chuft was reporting today the LazyTowners have built 3 crawlers by 2265 on a huge map

How many different scenarios are in the works for GotM? Is there a way to see possible upcoming scenarios or ideas that are in the works for them?

we are talking ideas in the GotM room. we have a schedule for the entire year, but all new ideas are welcome. :)

I pretty much got the basics of the scenario editor down now, and I have always know how to use the terrain editor. I have been considering trying to make a scenario, so I was wondering if I did decide to make one if it could possibly be used in the GotM competition.

of course we could use it, but if you build the scenario, you won't be able to participate in the contest. ;)

so, are you willing to join the team on a regular basis, or just submit a scenario for the GotM?

either way, if you need any help, you just have to ask..

Edited by bdanv

we are talking ideas in the GotM room. we have a schedule for the entire year, but all new ideas are welcome. :)

of course we could use it, but you won't be able to participate in that one. ;)

Maybe I will just try and make one for fun then I guess, since I have never made one before it might not turn out to be very good anyways. lol

I think I will offer up some more praise for this Scenario. I have played a few of the older GotM's made by Darsnan(I think they were anyways) and the the one before and after this. This has been the most fun for me to play so far. The older ones did offer up more of a challenge as far as winning is concerned, but this one had a good combination of being unique while still offering up a challenge, and you guys did a great job of creating a story. I still have the urge now and then to replay this one.

I have played a few of the older GotM's made by Darsnan(I think they were anyways)

all 2009 scenarios were made by Darsnan.

I think I will offer up some more praise for this Scenario. ... This has been the most fun for me to play so far. The older ones did offer up more of a challenge as far as winning is concerned, but this one had a good combination of being unique while still offering up a challenge, and you guys did a great job of creating a story. I still have the urge now and then to replay this one.

thank you sir for your kind words! :D

we are talking ideas in the GotM room. we have a schedule for the entire year, but all new ideas are welcome.

of course we could use it, but you won't be able to participate in that one.

Maybe I will just try and make one for fun then I guess, since I have never made one before it might not turn out to be very good anyways. lol

don't get me wrong. what i was trying to say is that if you build a scenario for the GotM, you won't be able to participate in the contest of that month and that month only.

don't get me wrong. what i was trying to say is that if you build a scenario for the GotM, you won't be able to participate in the contest of that month and that month only.

Ah I thought by the wording of your response that I would be barred from competing in any of them.

However, if it is booked up for the rest of the year, I should still probably get some practice with making a scenario before i actually try to make one to be used as a GotM. Since there is plenty of time.

so, are you willing to join the team on a regular basis, or just submit a scenario for the GotM?

either way, if you need any help, you just have to ask..

Not really sure what I could contribute if I did join the "team" since I am sure who you have now working on scenarios are way more skilled/qualified at doing things than I am. Plus I enjoy the whole competition thing, and wouldn't want to have to miss one because I helped with making one.

I will probably just work towards making a somewhat decent scenario to hopefully be used in the competition someday.

Ah I thought by the wording of your response that I would be barred from competing in any of them.

yep. English is not my first language and i tend to do that if i'm in a hurry. :blush:

However, if it is booked up for the rest of the year, I should still probably get some practice with making a scenario before i actually try to make one to be used as a GotM.

Not really sure what I could contribute if I did join the "team" since I am sure who you have now working on scenarios are way more skilled/qualified at doing things than I am. Plus I enjoy the whole competition thing, and wouldn't want to have to miss one because I helped with making one.

I will probably just work towards making a somewhat decent scenario to hopefully be used in the competition someday.

still, if you want to talk about your idea and how to shape it into a GotM form, it will be better to use emails or use the GotM room, as posting the idea on the boards can take away from the enjoyment of the players when they will have to play the final scenario.

Edited by bdanv
typo

Hmm, im gonna have to obtain a smacx copy somehow. All mine are toast...

Edit;and now i have.

Edited by Kataphraktoi

are you going to try some of the old SMAX GotM scenarios?

Or the April one which is always running.

Im playing the april one now.

I would still advocate making SMAC compatible GOTMs when possible, however. Theres always been a large number of people without the xpack.