Russia4Life

Game of the Month general discussion thread

108 posts in this topic

One bit of advice: 1

;)

Seriously though, keep a balance between long games and short scenarios. Like Mart mentions, not everyone has time and/or will to properly finish a game every month.

Small scenarios with non-standard victory conditions can be pretty fun to play, and make for easier comparative play since there is less divergence in games from time played. Something that comes to mind is a small battle scenario, against, say, a beefed-up hive AI and with the option to play as two or three different factions, to compare strategy.

Making games shorter will not only increase the amount of players able to complete it on time, it will also make game reports/narratives of the game require less work by the players to set up, so we'll probably see more of them.

Welcome, N35t0r!

That is a good suggestion.

SMAC is well suited to scenarios. You can set scenario objectives.

Would you participate if there were short scenarios?

Yeah, probably. I really love SMAC, and never really played it as much as it deserves, as at the time I was thoroughly engaged playing Civ2 Scenarios (It's amazing that the guys over at Civ2 Creation / SLeague in poly are still churning out extremely high quality stuff)

It's a pity that SMAC doesn't lend itself to modding in such a depth as civ2 did, but all the changes made to the game are changes that I loved.

In any case, back to what you actually asked: yeah, short scenarios would actually give me a chance to be able to participate. I'm working and attending classes now, and I've recently moved into a flat with my GF, so I don't have hardly enough time to spend on the PC to play full games, but short ones that can be easily fitted into a couple of weekends would be great.

Have you seen the SMAniaC mod?

Thank you for answering my question. We'll have to look into short scenarios.

Hi, N35t0r. Hope you enjoy the Playground. Feel free to check out the Custom Avatar thread. If you don't see anything you like, I'll entertain requests.

you are quite entertaining BU

I don't mind entertaining people at all. Requests can be a tough room, though.

I have avatars OK, thanks. I'm just thinking on what to use.

ok. we have a schedule:

May: discuss rules & points system

June: Russia4Life's Island scenario

July: Ultimate Builder Challenge

We are getting close to the end of May, but I do not see much of a consensus on points system yet. Maybe I start a poll-thread listing some options to gauge the opinions.

@Russia4Life: Are you ready to post your scenario at the 1st of June ?

I would suggest the following setup for administering the GoTM:

• One thread (sticky if possible) to keep the running grand-total of results in each category (victory conditions and difficulty levels). The admin of the GoTM would make a new post at the end of each months with a table of results for that month and would update the first post of the thread which would contain the totals.
  • One separate thread for each months entry starting with the scenario post, then players would post their result game saves and narrator messages

Russia4Life, do you volunteer to maintain the admin-thread of GoTM?

My original idea was disliked for scoring so I was going to leave it up to everyone else. So I guess starting another thread with that being the topic would be a good idea.

The file has been ready for a while. It is just a matter of remembering where I put it so I wouldn't forget where I put it. :(

I hate having responsibility, but I guess I could do some sort of administration duty for this. As long as it doesn't prevent me from taking part in the games.

zsozso's thread structure makes sense.

So it is like the 1st and stuff, and we have yet to agree on a scoring system. I am going to post the Scenario now, and strongly urge that we decide on a scoring system rather quickly.

I would say for submission purposes send the 1st turn save along with a save at turn 50, 100, 200, 300, etc. As well as the last turn before the game ends.

(Obviously if the game ends before one of the turn benchmarks it is impossible to include a save of that turn. In that case send the last turn save along with all the other benchmark turns that came before that.)

The save I provided is a scenario file, and as such will need to be loaded via the load scenario option from the start menu.

Domai of the Drones, 2101.zip

Edited by Russia4Life

Great job. Didn't most of us agree on a scoring system in the poll thread?

Nothing was ever finalized or accepted as the way things will be done.

So who is supposed to make the decision?

And have we arranged for this game to be part of the tournaments joined? (Maybe a PM to Locutus pointing him to the post of the game is in order.)

Well, as far as I see, Russia4Life's scoring system won the poll 4:3, so that should be the official score. Please, post the scenario in a new thread titled something like "GOTM June 2009".

@vyeh: I looked at the tournament option on the competitions page and it does not seem to fit this kind of competition, it is designed for games with players against each other. But I think it is fairly easy to keep the results of this in simple thread-post form. I am willing to admin the global summary thread if Russ doesn't like to do this kind of admin job.

@vyeh: I looked at the tournament option on the competitions page and it does not seem to fit this kind of competition, it is designed for games with players against each other.

Send a PM to Locutus. Maybe the tournaments option can be modified.

Should I not compete in this GOTM? I did set it up and know all the AI locations and units, I think I would have an unfair advantage compared to those that are just playing from turn 1..

One other alternative is to post the map or a picture of it, so everyone can see the starting locations of the AI factions, although it may take away some of the fun of discovery, if the map is designed to give some surprises:)

But anyway, I do not think it really matters. Anybody is free to play the game multiple times, so can get the same info and submit results from the Nth attempt -- that is the same for the CivRev GOTW. So, knowing the map is fair-play, in my opinion.

The map is posted on this site (though I did make some small alterations to it for the scenario), so it is not hard to get the general layout of the land. I did not wish to give away the start locations of the AI's. As you just stated though it may not matter as you can play through it multiple times. Still would rather people figure it out through exploration or trial and error though.

I also just realized there is nothing preventing people from activating the scenario editor and finding out what I already know that way.

Edited by Russia4Life

I guess I will give it a go then. I have only played ~30 turns on it when I was creating it to make sure the AI's were actually doing something and not just sitting there waiting to get conquered.

I agree with zsozso that Russia4Life should compete.

Scoring system: If no decision can be reached, how about the person posting the scenario decide how the scoring should be weighted?

Second: Can I claim the August game? My scenario idea isn't necessarily designed to be a challenge, as it is a twist on initial faction placement. I'm curious to see how various people play it out, particularly people not me who thus don't already know how it's laid out. Any faction (standard SMAC) would be allowed, standard rules (certain standard rules are necessary for it to work correctly). For this game, I wouldn't care so much about scoring as game histories.

..I would suggest the following setup for administering the GoTM:

• One thread (sticky if possible) to keep the running grand-total of results in each category (victory conditions and difficulty levels). The admin of the GoTM would make a new post at the end of each months with a table of results for that month and would update the first post of the thread which would contain the totals.

I hate having responsibility, but I guess I could do some sort of administration duty for this. As long as it doesn't prevent me from taking part in the games.

..But I think it is fairly easy to keep the results of this in simple thread-post form. I am willing to admin the global summary thread if Russ doesn't like to do this kind of admin job.

i think this GOTM competition can bring us some traffic here at WPC, but without proper administration it will fade out and die.

i just made my contribution by starting the GOTM admin. thread here.

if you see any mistakes in that thread or if you have any idea on how to improve the admin. part of this competition please feel free to post it here.

please give me your feed back so i can improve it.

thanks.

***EDIT***

Second: Can I claim the August game? My scenario idea isn't necessarily designed to be a challenge, as it is a twist on initial faction placement. I'm curious to see how various people play it out, particularly people not me who thus don't already know how it's laid out. Any faction (standard SMAC) would be allowed, standard rules (certain standard rules are necessary for it to work correctly). For this game, I wouldn't care so much about scoring as game histories.

the August game is yours. please confirm the scenario is ready and it's play-tested.

Edited by bdanv
message for Tarvok added

Right now, I'm playing the June game, but it's a simple enough scenario, so I'll definitely have it ready. Maybe once I hit the first market (2150), I'll get that done, and let you know. I just came back to SMAC after a diversion into Elder Scrolls games (like... all of them...).