Russia4Life

Game of the Month general discussion thread

108 posts in this topic

I am unfamiliar with cgn. Another SMAC forum/fansite?

The SMAC forum there died out because everybody there was also a member of the SMAC forum at 'poly and over time, they just talked to each other there.

For someone like you, the SMAC Academy is worth visiting. You will wonder about the greatness of the lost civilization of CGN.

A "game of the month" sounds cool. I've got a scenario I've always wanted to see what folks thought of it.

c'mon, don't be shy, post it

Was teased into actually thinking he would post it.

I am not big on the actual process of setting up a scenario but I can post some maps I have made here if there is interest. If someone wants to setup a scenario off of one of them they are more than welcome to do so, if they repost it for people to play. Or if you just want to play a normal game from turn one you can do that as well.

Well I guess I will take the initiative. I made this map back at Apolyton for a contest the never happened :(. I have since posting it there edited it slightly. The AI do fairly well on it in my experience.

Map specs:

40x80 round

ocean: custom

Erosion: custom

Native Life: Average

Cloud coverage: dense

Map Overview.jpg

The Island.zip

Edited by Russia4Life

Great idea to have a Game of the Month! :b:

May I nominate an old scenario for a Game of the Month entry ?

I am thinking about the Ultimate Builder Challenge ;)

which month? this (half) month?

I am thinking about the Ultimate Builder Challenge ;)

I think that would be a great idea. It would save me having to hunt it up on the internet. Plus it would give me a a view of scenario development from a different perspective.

D

which month? this (half) month?

Russia4Life has already posted the Island scenario up in this thread, and it was his idea in the first place, so definitely that should take preference, the UBC could come after. Whether to start the whole thing for the current half-month is another question. Maybe we should discuss rules (if there is anything to discuss) and setup some nice format for the result admin (may need some help from site admins for this one) and launch by June 1st with the Island scenario.

Apart from submitting save-games, the players could also submit reports, narratives, explanations of strategy. There could be different categories for each victory type as well as an overall ranking.

ok. we have a schedule:

May: discuss rules & points system

June: Russia4Life's Island scenario

July: Ultimate Builder Challenge

ok. we have a schedule:

May: discuss rules & points system

June: Russia4Life's Island scenario

July: Ultimate Builder Challenge

Mine isn't really a scenario just a map right now, I suppose I could place units and stuff and give a victory condition and all that other scenario goodness.

you said that before:

...Someone picks a map, victory conditions, starting faction and all that good stuff...

please do!

Specific victory condition may restrict the scope, i.e. all victory types are no longer possible. So I would suggest just adding some factions/cities/units and leave the victory options open. Same for the UBC, even though the original challenge is to transcend, for the GotM use any victory would be OK and we would have separate rankings for all victory conditions. This is the way the Game of the Week works in CivRev and it is very popular, thousands of players submit results every week.

:otf:

:p

I saw it before you edited. Did you just out a DL?

Sounds like fun :). I just started a UBC game last week. That's still my favorite scenario ever, even if I'm yet to beat it.

Ok I made it into a scenario. Should be nice and hard, though I did leave in the ability to change the difficulty level. Why discriminate against the less skilled players that may also want to try it? Well that's my thinking on it anyways.

I do not want to give too much away but the player faction is the drones.

Shall I post the scenario file now or hold off until next month?

hold it till the 1st of June please.

Is there anyway we can tie the idea of GOTM with a single player tourney?

Sure, give everyone a score based on their performance, and then compare those scores with all of the other players scores. Just need to come up with a scoring system to use for comparing players games.

What I would like is that if a person submits a GOTM, they automatically join the tournament.

Somehow we determine a winner and the winner gets credit for a tournament won.

Does anyone know who is the staff member who is in charge of tournaments?

...why not have a Game of the Month for SMAC?

Few thoughts on that.

There were regular games of SMAC in its early years, not sure they were called gotm, but later I remember regular challenges on CGN.

An observation about smacx is that it is full of micromanagement in the late game, especially when grading system will benefit score based on growth/size etc. The civ2 gotm tries to take that into account. I would definitely place much attention here, that smac gotm score allows players to win without a lot of micromanagement. Solutions may be, smaller maps, victory points awarded for specific objectives, not faction size, maybe even shorter games with turn limits, like 50-80 turns for example. Some combination of objectives, so players would have choose strategy early, etc.

That all seems difficult in practice, good scoring system is not easy. When we compare smacx to civ2, I think smacx has much more micromanagement, mostly due to more forming, crawling, and even units design, more possibilities gives more variety, and later one has to deal with unit design limit of 64. but this all is my opinion. note also gotms for civ4 are recently declining in number of players, i think apart from that civ4 is getting older, there is also factor, these games consume time.

In the early years of SMAC I was playing around to see how I can get very high score and found that you could artificially inflate the score by leaving a single enemy city surrounded by strong defenders, while you build lots of huge cities and gathering lots of energy. Such unnecessary prolonged game is not a sign of skill or strategy, yet the game rewards it with very high score. For this reason, I do not think it is a good idea to base the GOTM ranking on the SMAC in-game score. Instead, I suggest to use the same ranking as the CivRev GOTW uses, very simple and effective (and avoid the above explained problem):

The lowest completion year is the best. In case of a tie, the in-game score can be used to order the same year results. There can be different categories for different victory types, because usually conquest is always faster than transcendence.