Russia4Life

Game of the Month general discussion thread

108 posts in this topic

Original thread title: 'Idea inspired by CFC'

I was looking at CFC's civ 2 forum today at the current game of the month to see if I might be interested in playing it. Then I got the idea, why not have a Game of the Month for SMAC?

Those unfamiliar with CFC's civ2 game of the month, it is basically a contest to see who can beat a scenario with the highest score. Here is an example of how one is setup. Someone picks a map, victory conditions, starting civ and all that good stuff, The game lasts a month those who participate send in the files required to be eligible, then their final score is calculated by a system they developed. Here is the page with their rules and scoring formula. I have no doubts that if there is interest in this idea that the SMAC community could come up with a similar scoring system, and a set of rules that would insure a fair competition.

As for who would be in charge of managing this I am not sure yet, this is another thing that would have to be discussed. For content, I would be willing to contribute maps to play on. I know Darsnan is into scenario making, he might be interested in creating some to play for this. Even randomly generated maps would work.

Edited by bdanv

Another idea. The idea is being worked out for a MP ladder right now I think. This could become a single player ladder of sorts. A new game each month players can gain points based on their performances compared to other players performances. For instance someone gets the highest score on a given game they get x amount of points, the person who finishes second gets y amount of points, 3rd gets z amount points. x > y > z Would need worked out how much a game would be worth. Probably best to do it based on the number of participants.

Another idea. The idea is being worked out for a MP ladder right now I think.

See SMAC ladder.

I knew I remembered a thread on a MP ladder, I didn't remember where or what it was called at the time of my original post.

Comments on any of the ideas I am tossing around?

Maybe I could get Solver to weigh in on what support WPC could give. It sounds like we might be able to use this idea as the tournaments WPC wants to promote.

Poly does the Tri-League Tournament where it's the same map with 3 different difficulties. Would also be good.

Comments on any of the ideas I am tossing around?

They are obvious and already in the works. :)

They are obvious...:)

Kind of harsh, unless you are trying to discourage Russia4Life ...

Russia4Life:

Keep it coming! :broc:

Should I compile a bunch of quotes of his dicey manners? Should I, vyeh? Huh? Huh?

Kind of harsh, unless you are trying to discourage Russia4Life ...

Russia4Life:

Keep it coming! :broc:

I am pretty good at detecting sarcasm and jokes. Never took it as being anything negative.

I am pretty good at detecting sarcasm and jokes. Never took it as being anything negative.

We're giving Jack a hard time.

I'm glad you didn't take it negative.

How long have you been a member of CFC?

How long have you been a member of 'poly?

Yes :b: :broc: :b:

He was rude to me just yesterday. :broc: I could find a few... :broc:...

I was wondering how would Vyeh be like at making a challenging scenario. :nod:

(we should give Darsnan some breathing space)

We're giving Jack a hard time.

I'm glad you didn't take it negative.

How long have you been a member of CFC?

How long have you been a member of 'poly?

I do not know for sure. I can look in the UserCP at the two to see if it might be in there.

I joined Apolyton after I read that someone was fixing bugs in SMAC, which turned out to be scient's project. I was a member at CFC weeks before that, but that was mainly for civ 2 purposes. I only glanced in on the AC forum every now and then. CFC was the first civ forum I was ever a member of.

March 27, 2009, 11:30 was my first post at Apolyton

Mar 05, 2009, 03:05 PM was my first post at CFC

Edited by Russia4Life
found dates

I take it you were a lurker before registering?

The only place I lurk at is CFC's civ 2 forum, and was lurking there for a week or so before posting. I registered at 'Poly so I could post on the thread scient was using for updates on his bug fixes. Which was also the first time I had ever visited Apolyton.

Thank you. I'm interested in your suggestions (obvious or otherwise) for the MP forum and this forum).

:bounce:

I was wondering how would Vyeh be like at making a challenging scenario. :nod:

:nod:

and let's call it game of the month for starters

(we should give Darsnan some breathing space)

Darsnan already had breathing space during his relaxing sojourn at CFC. :)

ah! OK.

still wondering though...

Darsnan already had breathing space during his relaxing sojourn at CFC. :)

He was atually working on Beta Lyrae the whole time; just not posting much about it... :)

There are a bunch of GOTM at CGN ...

Maybe we could contact Buster (and I don't mean Buster's Uncle) about permission to use those.