Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

Alexander

Getting a New Laptop

45 posts in this topic

yw ;) geeky dweeb

@ alex dont buy a Dell Studio because they are less use than a Chocolate FireGuard! ( Or The English National Football Team )

I'm not real keen on the Dell cooling solutions either, but they are one of the manufacturers that do outfit their lappy's with more than the standard 6 cell battery.

What about an Asus? Are they any good?

And my friend has an Acer Aspire and says it's really great.

Any opinions?

Gaming on a laptop - not the most efficient way to go, but as you are going to be a student i can see the desire for something portable that does it all. Sadly i don't know what the current best gaming laptops are but i found these handy looking sites that might give you a decent overview:

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming-laptops/

http://laptoplogic.com/best-gaming-laptops/

http://www.bizwaremagic.com/best_gaming_notebooks.htm

Asus? The G60 a little older, and has a slightly weaker processor, but looks nice coming in around $8-900.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-g60vx-rbbx05/4507-3121_7-33776097.html?tag=specs

Otherwise, if you don't mind spending at the $1000 mark, the G71 is the modern version of the same.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-g71gx-rx05/4505-3121_7-33695862.html

Note that since both come with > 3GB RAM you'll need a 64-bit OS to maximise performance. That's why I gave you both as the G60 will leave the cash to get the 64-bit OS if you need it. :)

For comparison, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M in both laptops exceeds slightly the NVIDIA 9800GT. It's a good graphics chip.

Ok, I've bitten the bullet and gone with an $850 Dell.

Studio XPS 16 - 1647 Laptop

500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor

Intel Core i5-430M Processor (2.26GHz, 4Threads, turbo boost up to 2.53Ghz,3M cache)

1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670

4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (2 DIMMs)

8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

6 Cell Primary Battery

15.6 inch High Definition+ (900p) W/LED Display and Camera

What do you think?

yes unless Dell doing something weird in their build. The main issue is cost of getting a separate 9 cell(rather than buying a model with one in). They can be quite pricey if you find you need that upgrade!

Still it is very annoying not more 9 cell versions of laptops are around to buy, or even be a standard by now.

And now we're working on getting my sister-in-law a laptop too, but her price range is under $600.

I've been recommending Dell, but one of her friends says to get an HP. Not exactly sure what to tell her about that.

Ok, I convinced her to get the Dell.

It wasn't the great features or fast speed that convinced her.

The laptop is pink.

Ok, here are StarCraft II's specs:

Minimum:

Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c

2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor

128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better

12 GB available HD space

1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)

DVD-ROM drive

Broadband Internet connection

1024X720 minimum display resolution

Recommended:

Windows Vista®/Windows® 7

Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor

2 GB RAM

512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

Do you think my new laptop will run it?

Lappy Specs:

Windows 7

500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

Intel Core i5-430M Processor (2.26GHz, 4Threads, turbo boost up to 2.53Ghz, 3M cache)

1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670

4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (2 DIMMs)

:facepalm::faint:

Lol, it's what she wanted for her lappy. She's kind of a girlie-girl.

She doesn't have an artistic friend of sorts (graffiti painter or somesuch) who could 'color' a better lappy to her liking? :shame:

I hope you don't mind a small side-question. If one would in the future like to play:

Civilization V

Starcraft II

Mass Effect 1/2/3

would you recommend a 512 MB or 1024 MB graphics card? I guess Mass Effect is the most graphically intense game on that list. On Youtube videos of Mass Effect there often is sluggish framerate. I'd like to avoid that.

I'd agree ME probably is the most demanding game there, especially since having to turn graphics settings down is probably less of an issue for a strategy game like Civ or Starcraft.

VRAM doesn't really have anything to do with it. There are plenty of 512 MB cards with a good deal of processing power, and plenty of low-power cards that have 512 (or even more) MBs of memory stuck on simply because RAM's gotten cheap and can make a card sound impressive. I'm not sure just what limits might be hit by having "only" 512 MBs of RAM on the card, but that's highly dependent on what resolution you're playing at anyhow.

Tom's Hardware publishes a monthly graphics card round-up, accompanied by a hierarchy chart, that's pretty helpful. The latest one is here. I've found their laptop card coverage is pretty spotty, though - the main articles are always covering the desktop cards only, and while the hierarchy chart does include laptop cards, I find they often aren't complete. Are you going for a laptop too?