vyeh

scient

94 posts in this topic

I noticed (while WPC was down for Solver's maintenance) that Russia4Life had posted a question wondering what scient is doing.

I would imagine that he is involved in some end of the school term activities.

His last post if I remember correctly was April 18, so it has been less than a month.

By the way, funny signature.

Edit: You can put smiles in the signatures here!

BTW, where is scient?

I sent an email to him via CFC.

If he wouldn't come back say by summer vacation, would you consider spreading out his latest fixed .exe?

I think petek and Darsnan have his latest fix (I never got them because I use Mac). No one would have a problem if you asked one of them for it.

There was some issue about posting the fix because scient needed the space occupied by the safe disc routine for his fixes.

Since he would have posted the fixes if he could, scient won't have a problem with his fixes being distributed.

I gathered from his last post on 'poly that he had to take care of somethings. I know he is a student. My guess is that he spent so much time on fixing bugs that he got way behind in his school work.

My email included a link to the MP forum, so maybe he'll post a greeting there or here.

I know Solver is willing to work with scient to make this place as hospitable as possible for his project (I'm pretty sure scient could have his own forum so he doesn't have to confine his project to a massive thread).

All of scient's releases specifically stated that they should not be distributed ("Please keep this fix private until details about publicly posting it can be ironed out."). So, I think we should wait a reasonable amount of time before giving out the patch.

Petek

Petek, do you have an email address for scient?

Petek, do you have an email address for scient?

No, we exchanged files using a free upload/download service.

Petek

...and what impression is that?

May have the email addy...

A message to scient's email bounced ...

No. It's not good at all.

I've never heard anyone discuss their impressions from playtesting the scient-ificPatch...

Brendan Casey is his real name (he revealed it while working on Planescape Torment fixes).

I've never heard anyone discuss their impressions from playtesting the scient-ificPatch...

Occasionally, there would be reports, but in general the fixes worked exactly as scient promised.

The patched game "plays" almost exactly the same as without the patch. The most significant change, IMHO, was fixing the Angels probe rating bug. Since the bug was discovered, I hadn't played them or included them as an opponent. Now I can.

Petek

I'm taking advantage of two scient bugfixes in my Beta Lyrae mod: increasing the arty range from 2 to 3 tiles now works, and boreholes having -2 nutrients. While neither is critical, they both add to the atmosphere/ strategies of the game.

D

Welcome to WPC AC forums, Nim. Be ssure to check out the avatar thread, and make yourself comfortable.

Nim, thanks!

I registered at spellhold studios.

They required that I make 5 posts before I could use the PM facilities.

So I

(1) posted in scient's most recent thread (he posted yesterday),

(2) posted an introduction,

(3) posted in the nickname thread,

(4) posted a comment about our recreation room thread compared to their recreation room forum, and

(5) started a new thread in the recreation room forum about the new Star Trek movie.

Then I was able to PM scient. I told him how his SMAC friends had wondered what he was up to.

I provided a link to this thread.

I promised him on behalf of Solver, Illuminatus and myself how we would do everything we could to make him comfortable here.

I told him I was creating a new forum to ensure his comfort.

And I gave him a link to this thread!

(You think I'm going to take the attitude with scient, "we don't need you!":) Of course, we want him!)

Anyway, Nim. Thank you for the tip.

If you have any interest in multiplaying, please visit. We have plenty of people new to multiplaying.

We also have an interesting Never Ending Story going on in the Other Games forum of the Other Games category (it is titled MetaliNES and topped).

I am glad to see you;.

Vyeh, had I known about that 5 post requirement I would have given you a link to another forum where you could have pmed him without any reqs. Oh well, not that 5 posts are a hindrance to you :innocent:

And I'm sorry but AC multiplaying isn't my cup of tea, the pace is much too slow for me.

Btw, I'm Nims on 'poly, not that I posted there any more than here :D

Vyeh, had I known about that 5 post requirement I would have given you a link to another forum where you could have pmed him without any reqs. Oh well, not that 5 posts are a hindrance to you :innocent:

But I wanted to play nice. So I wrote 5 quality posts, and, other than the one in scient's latest thread, put them in their recreation commons forum.

And I'm sorry but AC multiplaying isn't my cup of tea, the pace is much too slow for me.

Are you familiar with Internet Protocol?

Btw, I'm Nims on 'poly, not that I posted there any more than here :D

I remember you. You might be interested to know Vel moved here along with Candl'Bre. There is a forum under the Other Games category. I'm sure Vel would be happy if you posted a greeting there.

Are you familiar with Internet Protocol?

Not really, my comment was in regards to PBEM as that's the only one I played once quite some time ago ( that game died pretty fast due to peope dropping out/disappearing).

You might be interested to know Vel moved here along with Candl'Bre. There is a forum under the Other Games category. I'm sure Vel would be happy if you posted a greeting there.

I'm a tester for CB :coolio: It's one of the reasons I'm here now.