Orbinou

alpha centauri, windows 7, please help ^^

73 posts in this topic

Hmm. So I completely re-installed everything, including the updates and patches. Still getting the same "terran.exe" stopped working. I tried running it with and without the extra things in the .ini file with the same result.

Hope you guys don't mind me borrowing this thread.. but it is about pretty much the same thing after all :)

(oh and hi btw!)

Running Win 7 home premium 32 bit and I've tried both the planetary pack as well as the version from GOG. They both run just fine (added the win 2k comp patch and then the unofficial one) but.. whenever I add directdraw=0 it crashes as soon as I try to scroll the map around to the sides. If I turn off the option to be able to scan by movin the mouse to the edges of the screen it stays alive a bit longer but crashes after a few turns. I haven't figured out what would be causing that crash since nothing in particular seemed to be about to happen.

It works just fine with directdraw enabled.. and it makes no difference if I enable or disable ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm. So I can play it.. but it would be nice to use more of the monitor and get rid of the black areas to the sides.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Going to check and see if a graphics driver upgrade might help next.

Definitely sounds like a graphics problem. If an upgraded driver doesn't help, experiment with different Windows graphics settings (resolution, # of colors). You also might want try different compatibility settings, such as Run in 256 colors.

Hmm. So I completely re-installed everything, including the updates and patches. Still getting the same "terran.exe" stopped working. I tried running it with and without the extra things in the .ini file with the same result.

I'll assume that you really meant to write that terranx.exe stopped working. Take a look at this thread. Soran never got the game to work, but perhaps one of the suggestions in that thread will help you.

Definitely sounds like a graphics problem. If an upgraded driver doesn't help, experiment with different Windows graphics settings (resolution, # of colors). You also might want try different compatibility settings, such as Run in 256 colors.

Yeah.. figured as much as well but new drivers didn't help. I've tried all the compatibility settings and nothing helps. Maybe I'll just blame it on being a laptop and leave it at that.. at least I can play it in normal mode. The black bars at the sides aren't that bad after all. :)

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Thanks everyone! I'm not very fluent in computer-speak, so I tend to get confused very quickly when working with the nuts and bolts of programs. I might just have to deal with not being able to play SMACX on a newer computer. It would be awesome if Firaxis or someone else could re-release it or make a sequel, but that seems fairly unlikely...

Hey guys

I had the alpha centauri game ages ago, and it worked on my old computer, but it doesnt on my new one. When i put in the disk, it opens up the soldout installation page. I click install, tick I agree, and then it asks me if I want to have help. I click yes, and then the cursor does that little waiting thing, and then it does nothing. What's happening? I did look in that logfile thing, but it's empty.

I have windows 7 64 bit.

P.S Hooray I just joined!

When the soldout installation screen (or an autorun screen) appears, just close it. Then go to Windows Explorer and double-click on setup.exe (NOT setup.now.exe) on the CD. Please post again if that doesn't help.

Same problem I'm afraid, nothing happens.

Edit: Suddenly started working after I closed another program. No idea why.

Edited by napthus

Having finally moved out of the parents' house for good with the advent of graduate school, I no longer have access to the wonderful, archaic desktop with SMAC installed residing there. As such, I am once again attempting an installation on a newer machine, a VAIO laptop running 64-bit Windows 7. I can manually launch the setup just fine, but for some odd reason, the files refuse to copy from my disc, whether attempted through the installer or as manually suggested here. I don't think it's a problem with the disc, because it appears undamaged and can copy files onto a roomie's Macbook. I am not exactly hopeful since this seems much more complicated than simply installing a patch, but if anyone has suggestions or similar (resolved) experiences, I'd love to be able to play SMAC again at my convenience.

Hi there Vladimir!

Try any or all of the following:

* Create a shortcut to setup.exe and then run it from there with various compatibility options.

* Boot to safe mode and run setup.

* Disable any software firewalls and/or anti-malware programs and run setup.

* Run the setup program as the administrator (even if your logon account has admin privileges).

Please let me know if any of this is unclear. If none of the above helps, do you get any error messages? Also, what's your laptop's screen resolution?

Thank you for the prompt reply, but believe it or not, the problem just disappeared for no apparent reason the 35th or so time I tried installing.

For posterity's sake, I had already tried the last three options you suggested with the consistent result of an error message reading "Unable to transfer/copy files: -115" returned by the installer, and the bland "Cannot copy files" from Explorer when going the manual route. When it finally worked, I had been repeatedly ejecting the disc and retrying, and decided to try the autorun for kicks. Went through the process, selected "Laptop Installation," and unlike before, files started copying and it was over and done with in a few seconds.

The odd part is that the game runs totally fine without any patches or compatibility updates; I just ran it for two hours to be sure. Maybe I was misunderstanding and the patches are only gameplay fixes, but I was under the impression SMAC wouldn't run on XP or 7 without them. o.O

Thank you for the prompt reply, but believe it or not, the problem just disappeared for no apparent reason the 35th or so time I tried installing.

For posterity's sake, I had already tried the last three options you suggested with the consistent result of an error message reading "Unable to transfer/copy files: -115" returned by the installer, and the bland "Cannot copy files" from Explorer when going the manual route. When it finally worked, I had been repeatedly ejecting the disc and retrying, and decided to try the autorun for kicks. Went through the process, selected "Laptop Installation," and unlike before, files started copying and it was over and done with in a few seconds.

The odd part is that the game runs totally fine without any patches or compatibility updates; I just ran it for two hours to be sure. Maybe I was misunderstanding and the patches are only gameplay fixes, but I was under the impression SMAC wouldn't run on XP or 7 without them. o.O

Glad to hear that you're up-and-running! As far as patches and compatibility updates, some systems require them, others don't. However, you really should install the unofficial patch. It incorporates all previous patches and updates, and fixes many bugs. Definitely a must-have.

Glad to hear that you're up-and-running! As far as patches and compatibility updates, some systems require them, others don't. However, you really should install the unofficial patch. It incorporates all previous patches and updates, and fixes many bugs. Definitely a must-have.

Now this is probably something you've encountered before: after installing the two patches my screen is truncated and there's a large, black, blank space in the upper right obscuring the game display. Does the SMAC community have an IRC channel? I found an abandoned one in someone's outdated signature yesterday, but nothing since.

I found an abandoned one in someone's outdated signature yesterday, but nothing since.

i guess you're talking about my signature.

Does the SMAC community have an IRC channel?

that is the only SMAC IRC channel as far as i know.

it was used some time ago by scient for the bug fixing project and now is dead.

Now this is probably something you've encountered before: after installing the two patches my screen is truncated and there's a large, black, blank space in the upper right obscuring the game display. Does the SMAC community have an IRC channel? I found an abandoned one in someone's outdated signature yesterday, but nothing since.

What's your laptop's windows resolution? If it's something like 1280x800 then you may have to add the line

video mode=800

to the [Alpha Centauri] section of your Alpha Centauri.ini file. Or, if the resolution is something like 1280x1024, then try adding the line

directdraw=0

to the same section of the above-mentioned file (but only one line or the other should be present).

Also, which two patches did you install and in what order?

My resolution is 1366x768 standard, but before I tried either of the fixes, SMAC once again seemingly magically fixed itself.

Thank you for the help. I hope I'll have the time to play against other humans sometime soon.

I hope so, too. Thrilled to have you here, Vlad. :b:

It seems most of you folks have SMAX, so I'll have to look into acquiring that at some point. Am I correct in assuming that it will now run on Windows, and does anyone have any tips for acquisition aside from eBay/Amazon?

Say Petek, I haven't reviewed the whole thread, but here's my problem:

I'm on a new Windows 7 machine. As a modder and artist, I couldn't live without my old files, so I have my old hard drive hooked in as an external. Now, my AC cds are 1000 miles away, and I can't get SMAC(X) to run off drive H:. As you know, I'm not completely helpless at this sort of thing, and I haven't killed myself working the problem, but the obvious things, like compatibility settings, haven't worked.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10922&d=1320958206

...And when I hit okay, I get a CTD.

Now, I also haven't been able to get Word 2003 to run off the old external drive, so I suspect the problem may be with that. I'm considering trying moving the whole installed folder to the proper place on drive C: Any input before I waste more time on this?

CPUNotSupported.jpg

It seems most of you folks have SMAX, so I'll have to look into acquiring that at some point. Am I correct in assuming that it will now run on Windows, and does anyone have any tips for acquisition aside from eBay/Amazon?

Hi Vladimir,

SMAX will run, in theory, on any modern version of Windows. I've seen one or two systems over the years where we couldn't get it to run, but that's very rare.

The best way, for now, to acquire SMAX is to buy Alpha Centauri Complete, issued by Sold-out Software. This version includes both SMAC and SMAX. It's readily available via Amazon.com or directly from the publisher. One caveat: The Sold-Out version comes with SecuRom DRM, which many don't like. However, it's almost trivially easy to bypass SecuRom when installing. Drop me a PM if you go this route for more information. It's also possible that Good Old Games, which already re-issued SMAC, might be re-releasing SMAX. Their games are all DRM-free. However, there's no timetable for such a re-release, nor do we know whether SMAX will be included in such.

Say Petek' date=' I haven't reviewed the whole thread, but here's my problem:

I'm on a new Windows 7 machine. As a modder and artist, I couldn't live without my old files, so I have my old hard drive hooked in as an external. Now, my AC cds are 1000 miles away, and I can't get SMAC(X) to run off drive H:. As you know, I'm not completely helpless at this sort of thing, and I haven't killed myself working the problem, but the obvious things, like compatibility settings, haven't worked.

[img']http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10922&d=1320958206[/img]

...And when I hit okay, I get a CTD.

Now, I also haven't been able to get Word 2003 to run off the old external drive, so I suspect the problem may be with that. I'm considering trying moving the whole installed folder to the proper place on drive C: Any input before I waste more time on this?

The error can be bypassed by modifying Alpha Centauri.ini, but a better solution is to download and install scient's unofficial patch. That should cause the error to disappear and you get all the benefits of his patch. I know that you're well-aware of the unofficial patch. Is it already installed on your H: drive (which I assume is a memory stick or some such)?

I adore scient and his work, but I don't MP and he spiked a lot of cheats/exploits that I want to keep the option of using in SP.

What's the .ini dodge?

I should have said drive G:. It's the actual hard drive from my last machine, mounted in an external drive case and USBed in. Can you imagine the futuretech it would take to hold three AC folders and all the SMAC(X) art I have on one chip?

OK, your Alpha Centauri.ini file should have the line

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

If so, change the 0 to a 1. If the line isn't present, add it (with a 1) to the [PREFERENCES] section of the ini file. That should do it.

Please stand by while your order is being processed...

God, I hate learning a new OS. It gave me an access denied when I tried to save it.

Let's try deleting the original and THEN saving...