Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

vooood

SMAC RPG?

32 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been lurking your forum for some time now and now I decided to join with a question. Or more like a proposal.

I'm not sure if this is the best part of the forum to ask but here it goes.

I'm sure at least some of you know that Steve Jackson Games GURPS (generic universal role playing game) has a SMAC expansion book. GURPS is a very interesting RPG system where there are no levels and the system provides a truly unbelievable amount of freedom and possible character development. More info (and a free lite version of the rules) at http://www.sjgames.com/gurps.

I was thinking about running a forum based GURPS SMAC campaign if there would be any interested players (and approval from admins).

Is there any interest? :D

welcome to WePlayCiv, vooood! i'm glad you decided to make your first post.

now, answering your question, there was some interest for a RPG campaign here: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2086

since then, Heraclitus has dissapeared and Alinestra Covelia was forced into retirement by RL issues. you can try to contact Heraclitus by PM here or at Apolyton (were he seems more active), however, the other posters in that thread are still active and hopefully still interested. :)

PS: i'm interested on how did you find us and what made you finally post here.

I'll check out the thread and see what can be done.

P.S.

I was searching for a SMAC fan page on facebook and find you that way ;)

I'm still interested, I was going to try bumping that thread after my exams. Everything I said there is still true, however; I am a very inexperienced roleplayer.

My understanding was that Ali would return in a month or two, am I wrong, bdanv?

My understanding was that Ali would return in a month or two, am I wrong, bdanv?

having not talked with Ali on this matter, i cannot confirm that.

i think you should try to contact Heraclitus. now that we have vooood around he may be interested in this project.

...(and approval from admins).

@vooood: you don't need approval for that. :)

Here's the campaign idea and some info:

The campaign will start at planetfall. The characters will have to find their spot in the factional struggle for power and rise gather enough power(s) to save the Planet from complete destruction. Secret organizations, misterous cults, aggressive chases, and fiery combats are only a part of what the characters might encounter and survive.

As for the rules we are going to play with GURPS 4th edition. I will do the necessary conversions for GURPS SMAC. Any GURPS rulebook and rule from them is allowed from 4th edition. 3rd edition is also allowed but to a smaller extent as I will have to do the conversion first.

From what I see this forum does not support rolls so rolling will be done by me (unless I find a service for that - I had once a long time ago). I will either seek or create an ASCII character sheet that we will be able to use on this forum.

A SMAX game will be "simulated" parallely to simulate the planet and it's happenings. If there will be good interest and gameplay I could even start making some nice 3D designs for the game.

And finally some things about me. I was a dungeon master for over 10 years now in various local and online campaigns. I mostly played D&D but I also know other systems, most notably GURPS. I am known for the huge amount of freedom of choice I give to my players. I can devote a lot of my time from 9am to 9pm in GMT+1 for this campaign.

Excellent, I live in the UK, so I'm always within an hour of GMT. Game idea looks good, but will it be ok for novices like me?

Here's the campaign idea and some info:

The campaign will start at planetfall. The characters will have to find their spot in the factional struggle for power and rise gather enough power(s) to save the Planet from complete destruction. Secret organizations, misterous cults, aggressive chases, and fiery combats are only a part of what the characters might encounter and survive.

As for the rules we are going to play with GURPS 4th edition. I will do the necessary conversions for GURPS SMAC. Any GURPS rulebook and rule from them is allowed from 4th edition. 3rd edition is also allowed but to a smaller extent as I will have to do the conversion first.

From what I see this forum does not support rolls so rolling will be done by me (unless I find a service for that - I had once a long time ago). I will either seek or create an ASCII character sheet that we will be able to use on this forum.

A SMAX game will be "simulated" parallely to simulate the planet and it's happenings. If there will be good interest and gameplay I could even start making some nice 3D designs for the game.

And finally some things about me. I was a dungeon master for over 10 years now in various local and online campaigns. I mostly played D&D but I also know other systems, most notably GURPS. I am known for the huge amount of freedom of choice I give to my players. I can devote a lot of my time from 9am to 9pm in GMT+1 for this campaign.

I'll play. You'll have to convert whatever I make though because I only have the Jon F. Zeigler SMAC sourcebook and Steve Jackson's GURPS Basic 3rd Ed. Revised. Will these be gritty 100-pt., "default" 150-pt., or even higher point characters?

Oh, also, I'd like to ask if you'd join my DragonLance play-by-post game located in the Other Games section. Caramon is available at the moment, and others will become available down the road (Ellistan, Gilthanas, etc.). Riverwind might open back up if I don't hear back from my friend soon.

Caramon has a nice love-interest plot going, as a matter of fact. You should take him up on that...

Don't worry about the rules, since this will be play-by-post (we might have regular sessions later over the net! ;)) getting hold of the rules will be easy. I'll try to explain stuff as we go. Those who don't have the rulebooks also don't worry. We'll sort out something. I have the originals but maybe I can find a PDF for some reference on your side. ;)

Character starting points will be decided when we get enough players (at least 3). So please let me know who can really consider playing this! :)

Don't worry about the rules, since this will be play-by-post (we might have regular sessions later over the net! ;)) getting hold of the rules will be easy. I'll try to explain stuff as we go. Those who don't have the rulebooks also don't worry. We'll sort out something. I have the originals but maybe I can find a PDF for some reference on your side. ;)

Character starting points will be decided when we get enough players (at least 3). So please let me know who can really consider playing this! :)

I'd enjoy a low-100 pt. character game, allowing for us to improve with experience. I'll go with whatever everybody else decides, though. We could all be young like Starship Troopers this way and still be able to logically improve any stat (to a certain extent).

The biggest decision to be made is going to also be the most divisive. If Vooood and Ali both run seperate campaigns, we could take a different faction for each campaign.

I vote for Believers for this game, and University for Ali's. We'll go with "majority rules" so respond with your picks. Vooood, we'll need to know if we can be one of the expansion factions and how far along the tech has come would also be good to know.

From what I see this forum does not support rolls so rolling will be done by me (unless I find a service for that - I had once a long time ago).

vooood there is an irc channel available if you wish to hold synchronous sessions for things with a lot of interaction like combat. The events that transpire in the channel can be copied and pasted here in the main narrative for a record of what happened. I have a die rolling bot handy which can roll dice in real time in the irc chat.

If you prefer to do everything on the web there are plenty of web-based dice servers, just Google "dice server" and you will find plenty.

Huh, I'm sure I posted after Arcainite here... Must have forgotten to actually post it.

I'm up for a game and I'm not really fussy about specific rules. As for faction, I would like to play a character from the University, Pirates, Drones, Spartans, or possibly some unaffiliated character. I would not like to play a Believer, Cultist or alien.

I would also like my character to be quite young (so not someone from Earth).

I don't believe Ali was planning on running a game. Are you sure you read the other thread correctly, Arcainite?

I do believe that was a misapprehension, alas...

don't count on Heraclitus or Alinestra Covelia showing up. i tried to PM/email them, but they are not responsive.

Huh, I'm sure I posted after Arcainite here... Must have forgotten to actually post it.

I'm up for a game and I'm not really fussy about specific rules. As for faction, I would like to play a character from the University, Pirates, Drones, Spartans, or possibly some unaffiliated character. I would not like to play a Believer, Cultist or alien.

I would also like my character to be quite young (so not someone from Earth).

I don't believe Ali was planning on running a game. Are you sure you read the other thread correctly, Arcainite?

Haven't read Ali's GURPS proposal in a long time.

So far, we've got Uni in the lead with Cult of Planet and the 2 Progenitor factions in last.

From the book: The University has a diverse society which makes use of a wide variety of skill sets. However, all of the faction's children receive rudimentary training in the sciences. Even an ordinary mechanic or laborer is likely to have moderate levels of skills such as Computer Operation, Computer Programming, Mathematics, and Research.

Elite faction members will often have Code of Honor (Scientist's - 5 pt. Disadvantage that includes sharing your knowledge freely with others!). Many will have some level of Administrative Rank, tied to free levels of Status. The GM may require any University character with Administrative Rank of 3 or higher to have Tenure (from GURPS Compendium).

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, Chief Science Officer aboard the UNITY, is a 215-pt. NPC. He is considered to be Administrative Rank 6, despite it sharing the same title as a Rank 5.

Admin. Rank 1 = Research Assistant

Rank 2 = Assosciate Professor

Rank 3 = Professor

Rank 4 = Senior Professor

Rank 5 = Academician

sooo.. who want's to join in the roster?

sooo.. who want's to join in the roster?

Let me know if we're playing 100, 125, 150, 175, or 200 pt. characters. Also, we'll need to know what techs are known to our faction and in what year. Will we all be in the same faction or are we stranded together somehow from seperate factions? I'm now leaning towards 125 pts., just because 100 pts. might be too low for "hero"-types on Alpha Centauri. Although Cha Dawn is only a 90-pt. character and Miriam is only 130. The Progenitor leaders are in the 400's! 125 pt. characters would probably be my choice, but I'm still willing to play 100-pts. as well.

Edited by Arcainite

I'm interested, but I won't be able to play for about a month at the least.

i uh, dont have that sort of rp rule book, but i've played quite a few die rollers and forum rp's that should warrant enough ability to rp this :3

I went ahead and made a 100-pt. character. My skills are naval-related mostly inc. ship design, repair, operation of electronic equipment, ecology, and navigation. He's brilliant but clumsy.

This sounds interesting, I might want to try it.

But I am wondering: do I need to get anything to play along? I've downloaded the basic GURPS book, and I am wonder if I would have more stuff (like the actual book and whatnot).

This sounds interesting, I might want to try it.

But I am wondering: do I need to get anything to play along? I've downloaded the basic GURPS book, and I am wonder if I would have more stuff (like the actual book and whatnot).

Tell me what your concept is and I can tell you if you need anything from the Alpha Centauri sourcebook. Also, I think we're playing University, so see what they are like in my response previous to this page.

Tell me what your concept is and I can tell you if you need anything from the Alpha Centauri sourcebook. Also, I think we're playing University, so see what they are like in my response previous to this page.

I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm willing to just go with the flow of thing and learn. University sounds fine to me.