Dale

Thread-jacking

49 posts in this topic

There have been a number of complaints from members regarding thread-jacking: the act of diverting a topical thread completely off the topic, such as engaging in "conversational" posts or "zero-content" posts.

Whilst we are very tolerant of what happens in threads in the Off-Topic forum we ask that you avoid diverting threads in On-Topic forums. If you feel the need to be conversational in an On-Topic thread please move the conversation to the Off-Topic forum.

Please note that thread-jacking in On-Topic forums is against rule 6 and 9 of the WePlayCiv Rules.

Thanks.

this is the massage left by chuft on his wall:

I left CGN because of vyeh.

I left WPC because of Rubin.

chuft, i hope you can reconsider this decission. you are an asset of this community, also the main contributor of the AC General forum. i think the management of this site was always supportive of you actions and tried to accommodate you in every possible way. as far as i know no one ever took action against you and you never complained about the moderation policy here.

that being said, i think this is just a simple misunderstanding and we can clear it all up.

So, yeah. I found out that "thread-jacking" notice you see at the top of every page is a result of Rubin complaining about me and DrazharLn.

Since I find forum-nazism completely repellent, I won't be posting anymore at WPC. You won't have to worry about any more off-topic posts from me, Rubin. Hope you're happy. I suspect you will be after our conversation in IRC:

This mentality is completely alien to me. This is a forum, not a museum. I will be far happier just playing the game offline than trying to deal with this kind of nonsense.

Thanks to everyone who was nice to me here.

I have long considered these wankers beneath my notice, but chuft has been this folder's shining star lately, and now they've gone too far.

We are under attack by the fun police.

I'm putting the forum-nazis on notice that they can't have their way in my online home. Go back to your self-abuse over pictures of Bobba Fett and leave the rest of us alone. If I wanted to be treated like a child, there are forums for that - I don't post there. There's a forum with basically no rules -a troll-hole- and I don't post there, either. This place is just right.

They can can sabotage my threads; they can whisper their poison into any available ears; but they can't take my freedom. Beware he who would control your access to your forum; for in his heart he dreams himself your master. I, for one, am not going to stand for it.

Who's with me?

I concur with both BU and chuft. People come here to discuss their favorite games and to post their own material for the benefit of other forum participants. If certain small minded people can drive away the posters that have made this the most active forum for SMAC, then perhaps the fault is in the small minded people and not the people who are actively trying to make this the best forum possible. I would hope that the PTB give their immediate attention to what has been transpiring in their forum and what results may occur based on their recent decisions.

IMO those who complain about conversational posts are more detracting from the majority's enjoyment of the site (and thus violating rule 9) than those who engage in a natural conversation.

Edit: For the record, I understand it can sometimes be difficult to discern what is a majority view, and what is simply a vocal minority complaint. But given the support for chuft I think it's clear Rubin is in the minority here.

Edited by Maniac

As an example of where complaints are detracting from the enjoyment of the site, please refer to the below posts extracted from the Lazymod AAR thread in the SMAC forum. Note that the SMAC forum mod is trying to work with the member in question but that another member is trying to detract from the enjoyment of multiple members.

So, yeah. I found out that "thread-jacking" notice you see at the top of every page is a result of Rubin complaining about me and DrazharLn.

Since I find forum-nazism completely repellent, I won't be posting anymore at WPC. You won't have to worry about any more off-topic posts from me, Rubin. Hope you're happy. I suspect you will be after our conversation in IRC:

<~chuft> would you rather see a week of silence than a week of 20 off topic posts?

<@Rubin> yes, I would

This mentality is completely alien to me. This is a forum, not a museum. I will be far happier just playing the game offline than trying to deal with this kind of nonsense.

Thanks to everyone who was nice to me here.

this is the massage left by chuft on his wall:

Originally Posted by chuft

I left CGN because of vyeh.

I left WPC because of Rubin.

chuft, i hope you can reconsider this decission. you are an asset of this community, also the main contributor of the AC General forum. i think the management of this site was always supportive of you actions and tried to accommodate you in every possible way. as far as i know no one ever took action against you and you never complained about the moderation policy here.

that being said, i think this is just a simple misunderstanding and we can clear it all up.

I can't reply ATM (getting kids ready) but your concerns have been noted. I'll comment later when I can.

I fully support chuft and the relaxation of rules. I feel that Rubin is in the minority, even if his concerns over thread jacking are occasionally true, I think that the majority are in favour of the relaxed, convivial atmosphere of the SMAC forums and WPC.

I do not think that this rule is necessary or appropriate for the forums.

Old rule of thumb we had for this in some forums I used to manage was that the thread starter generally had the say in whether or not it was an issue in that thread. If the thread starter didn't have an issue, anything was fair game. If they did have an issue, then people were asked to start their own thread.

Let me ask the PTB this: would you rather see a week of silence than a week of 20 off-topic posts? Will the week of silence generate hits? Will the Buzzkill Brigade's dead forum ever make you a cent?

Ask yourself who your friends are. Ask yourself who's acted positively and helped you build this place - and who's negative and are the real troublemakers. chuft alone is worth a thousand buzzkills.

How much sabotage, slander and trouble do they have to generate before we say enough?

Post made obsolete by thread merge.

Edited by DrazharLn

Solver and I have been talking over the last hour and we want to reassure everyone that we listen to and consider every member's concerns. We respect every member's right to discuss things with us (the Admins of WPC) whether you've been here from day 1 or joined today.

In regards to this reminder to avoid thread-jacking topical threads in on-topic forums, we have not just received one complaint. We have received numerous complaints over the life of these forums. This is not a new complaint and no one person dictates the rules of the site. Nor is this a new rule, or policy change. The problem is not limited to one forum or one particular member either, you could go into any forum and see many examples of where thread-jacking has occurred. Even I am guilty of thread-jacking.

I also want to point out that we are only asking you try to avoid thread-jacking someone's topical thread. We are not announcing that we will heavily moderate threads, move posts or ban members who say anything other than a wall of topical content. We are merely asking that you respect the OP's topic and not divert the thread.

If there are members who disagree with this rule I am interested to hear from you. Please PM me your comments on this rule and why thread-jacking should be allowed. We will consider your request.

I've seen the word 'respect' used and I just want to ask this: whilst we respect and value all of our members and the discussions between members, shouldn't we also respect a member's wish to ask a question and get an answer without having to read pages of off-topic comments?

Answer my questions first and I'll take a run at it...

Sorry BU but I can't answer those questions as they are founded off the mistaken belief that one particular person ordered the change.

If I were to try to answer those questions I would say that I love to see the off topic discussions and interaction of friends in the off topic forum (where we all let our hair down) but I also love to see a related discussion proceed through a thread.

Solver and I have been talking over the last hour and we want to reassure everyone that we listen to and consider every member's concerns. We respect every member's right to discuss things with us (the Admins of WPC) whether you've been here from day 1 or joined today.

In regards to this reminder to avoid thread-jacking topical threads in on-topic forums, we have not just received one complaint. We have received numerous complaints over the life of these forums. This is not a new complaint and no one person dictates the rules of the site. Nor is this a new rule, or policy change. The problem is not limited to one forum or one particular member either, you could go into any forum and see many examples of where thread-jacking has occurred. Even I am guilty of thread-jacking.

I also want to point out that we are only asking you try to avoid thread-jacking someone's topical thread. We are not announcing that we will heavily moderate threads, move posts or ban members who say anything other than a wall of topical content. We are merely asking that you respect the OP's topic and not divert the thread.

If there are members who disagree with this rule I am interested to hear from you. Please PM me your comments on this rule and why thread-jacking should be allowed. We will consider your request.

I've seen the word 'respect' used and I just want to ask this: whilst we respect and value all of our members and the discussions between members, shouldn't we also respect a member's wish to ask a question and get an answer without having to read pages of off-topic comments?

I think this is entirely reasonable, however, posters have objected very strongly to the notice, and the notice was more than just an informational announcement, it required bdanv to change his moderation policy.

Perhaps decisions on moderation policy should be left to the moderators, after all, they know their own sections best.

If a thread starter is unhappy about how their thread is going, then they should be able to contact a mod and have a spread split, but unless someone asks, I don't think that extra moderation is really required.

Well Dale, I can't answer your question because it's not a very good one. Maniac answered it before you asked, for one thing. It assumes the troublemakers' frame of reference, for another.

I strongly suspect I'm wasting my time, here.

The most important tools in fighting thread-jacking are phrases such as

"Sorry for going off topic, but..."

"Don't want to be a spoilsport, but you're off topic. Please discuss this in another thread"

etc.

I agree with whoever said it that it's the thread-starter who, basically, decides what is off topic and not. If said thread-starter wishes to keep the thread extremely clean then it's up to him or her to say so explixitly. The headings of threads are not informative enough to do this. Not everyone thinks that Alpha Centauri, for example, is such a boring game that jokes would automatically be off topic in a thread about it.

This is how I think it should work.

And I want chuft back. chuft stood for appr. 3/4 of all the fun I've had at WPC so far. Come back, chuft!

Well Dale' date=' I can't answer your question because it's not a very good one. Maniac answered it before you asked, for one thing. It assumes the troublemakers' frame of reference, for another.

I strongly suspect I'm wasting my time, here.[/quote']

I assume you mean this question as it's the only one I've asked in this thread:

So are you saying that we shouldn't respect the topic of a thread and just spam it wherever and whenever you feel like? Are you saying that those members are less important than you?

Remember this is not the first time this has been a problem across the site, I thought of all people you would be one of those who remembers what can happen when unfettered spamming of topical threads occurs.

Your question is an insult. It is an insult to someone who has slaved to build WPC. The handling of this entire affair is an insult to me and bdanv.

I'm not playing this stupid game with you anymore. You enjoy running vyeh/Rubin's dead library; I'm sure you'll be very happy together in a failed forum.

vyeh/Rubin's dead library

For the record' date=' it is not my library. I think it can become as important as the SMAC Academy and CGN (I am speaking officially) will do everything to support the Alpha Centauri Repository.

It does come across as insulting IMO to call a natural flow of conversation (and real-life conversations between friends also constantly hop between and return to multiple topics) "thread-jacking" or "spamming", as if there is some malevolent intent.

I agree with the principle that the thread starter can decide the accepted level of conversational posts. But I really wonder what Rubin got worked up about. Unless chuft's posts have been removed, I can't see any thread-jacking in chuft's recent post history, and no posts at all in threads started by Rubin. :confused: So why was a notice about thread-jacking posted? It would be nice to see an example of so-called "wrong" posting behaviour in the SMAC forum - otherwise how can we learn from out "mistakes"?

Edited by Maniac

This seems an odd issue to me as I can see both sides of the arguement.

Agreed there are some threads where going off-topic may not be welcomed as indeed it woudl take the focus off what the primary poster intended, and the turn of focus may also become permanent, which of course ruins the thread.

However there are also other threads where going off-topic could be a good thing. for instane the "name the old game" thread, yes it is used for a fun little game, but in between guesses we can discuss the game that was just guessed, or even the suggestions made in response the last clue, it may be a little off topic, but no harm in it.

I will admit though my forum experience is limited, I am a member of Civfanatics, but i only use that to download Civ 4 mods that interest me and I also play on a site called World Arcane, which is technically a forum, however due to it's nature (a play-by-post game) off-topic posts are kind of the point of the forum.

I am relatively new here and I do generally stick to the Other games section of the site, but I also like to read up on the Civ 5 information. I'd say that off-topic conversation should be welcomed and only stifled if they are getting silly or derogative.

Old rule of thumb we had for this in some forums I used to manage was that the thread starter generally had the say in whether or not it was an issue in that thread. If the thread starter didn't have an issue, anything was fair game. If they did have an issue, then people were asked to start their own thread.

On a different forum with a completely unrelated subject, we (my girlfriend and I) use the above rule of thumb. It's more or less funny to see that nearly every forum encounters this "problem" somewhere in it's early life.

I don't exactly know what the complaints were about, what I like about this forum is that a few off-topic posts now and then are no problem.

IMO: I agree with what others already noted. I think it should be the topic-starters who monitor and report if necessary. They should report in that case to the moderator of that section.

IMO: I agree with what others already noted. I think it should be the topic-starters who monitor and report if necessary. They should report in that case to the moderator of that section.

This.