Zack

Proof of the Decline of Western Civilization

91 posts in this topic

That Belgians think they make good beer :shame:

Who doesn't after transcendence?

lol I'll outlive you if I don't commit a crime against Belgian self-determination laws LOL

No, you've only got about 20 years left. Sorry.

When religion get's so twisted from it's original message by man this kind of thing happens.

'US Koran burning event on hold, says pastor Terry Jones':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11256182

"The US pastor who threatened to burn copies of the Koran on the anniversary of 9/11 says his plans are "on hold".

Terry Jones's plan caused international outrage, with President Barack Obama saying it would be a "recruitment bonanza" for al-Qaeda.

Mr Jones, who leads a small church with 50 followers, initially said the burning had been cancelled.

He then said it was only suspended because he was "lied to" over a deal to move an Islamic centre in New York."

These are exactly the type of people the neo-fascist movement in the usa will look to use, they obviously don't question things too much and are easily led to ensure conflicts never end(the neo-fascists are closely linked to the arms industries etc).

How can this guy call himself a Pastor? don't they have some higher church authority in the usa that can simply de-frock such false priests of the faith? This guy(and people like him) is everything but a christian :q:

El Cid, he's a baptist preacher, which basically means he has free reign to interpret scripture as he sees fit, and his livelihood is dependent on people believing he has a correct interpretation. It's not like the catholic church where there is a hierarchy and accountability.

His plans are very extreme. I seriously doubt that the Southern Baptist Convention would stand by him in this. About the worst thing they can do is take away his "accreditation," though. Which of course would mean that his church would no longer receive moral and financial support from its sister churches. Such a thing could be disastrous for a tiny church like that, but that hasn't been any part of the chatter, so there's no reason to believe it may take place.

well the impression from outside the usa, among the chattering classes and the like is that probably he would have quite a lot of support from within certain demographic portions of the usa population. He isn't likely to be the only person interested in the 'Islam is evil' message as that chimes nicely with the neo-fascists and their ilk etc.

And his words(just his words so far) have already had a consequence where somebody has been shot dead, how long before the dead will be americans serving abroad, someones son, husband etc?

I wonder how he would feel if all the muslims in the usa decided to hold 'burn the bible' day? I wonder(seriously) if he has even thought about that and how he would feel about the issues?

sometimes america is so disappointing, and falls so short of where it could :yes:

(many nations do(mine also), but yours often does in such a special and tragic way - if only we all had constitutions like yours and ideals that is supposed to enshrine, maybe they are simply too much to live upto? - i know he is exercising one of them 'freedom of speech' etc)

All I can say in our defense there is that we ARE a nation made up of imperfect people, governed by imperfect people who were elected by those imperfect people.

It brings to mind a conversation I had today where a coworker called the Republican party racist. I could only agree that they'd used hate as a tool to gain votes and appear to intend to do so in the future as well. However, 150 years ago, it was the opposite - with the Dems using hate and fear as a tool to win elections. I guess maybe it's just the conservative ideology. :shrugs:

yeah, something about conservatism(little 'c') often leads to an extreme action? In the uk for example our current Conservative government(with liberals along for the ride) is busy slashing government spending, where the end result at best is that the most vulnerable in society are going to suffer the most(and remember the background of the financial crisis, where the rich(banks) were protected and still giving out millions in bonuses...for failure in effect). At worst it could deepen the recession/recovery for many years to come.

Then again i'm no fan boy of 'the left' either - too much protectionism and stagnation and bloat in the system brings it grinding to a halt.

Middle - we need more 'middle' in ourselves and our governments. Which is why the usa could really do with another mainstream party imho, as one effect would be to better show the hard core republicans for what they are, and also those most left in the Democrats. The more moderate politician, which we desperately need, would have a proper platform to stand on.

Sadly in the uk both the left and right have effectively neutered our middle party(the Liberals), so they are more often simply a 'voice of reason' within the halls of government, rather than an effective party in their own right.

Right, left and middle are just relative standings.

It not, then right is nazism/fascism, and left communism/anarchism.

Almost everybody in all countries belong to some middle.

at the moment ;) the 'right' has been trying very hard to create the 'perfect storm', and we need to be aware of all that :yes: