Zack

Proof of the Decline of Western Civilization

91 posts in this topic

But can you spell "****ing"? And do you have the good sense not to?

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to curse and swear. I do so frequently to shock people, amuse people or just because I feel like it.

It all depends on context.

Well, maybe, I don't know what it is you're saying. I probably do say what ever it is you typed, though.

Just more proof of the no-goodosity of today's youth...

You'll understand when you're older, sunny Jim.

BU is just a winding you up :) us 'old men' love the optimism of youth and i certainly don't have an issue with 'young people today' - just the lost souls(of whom don't come here).

How about the rise of China and India as economic powers of today and tomorrow as proof of the decline of western civilisation, and that everything you can buy in the west comes from china(well 80% atleast)?

How about the rise of China and India as economic powers of today and tomorrow as proof of the decline of western civilisation, and that everything you can buy in the west comes from china(well 80% atleast)?

China may be big, but they do not produce 80% of the products available in the west. Maybe consumer goods (such as toys and clothing) but not all products. Note that I am not a fan of the rise of the Chinese industry at the cost of the rest of the world's economy, but it is not that dramatic of a percentage....yet.

you sure? i thought i was being conservative with my rough guess at 80% of everything. (he says typing on his mostly 'made in china' pc, wearing(annoyingly!) his made in china clothing) ;)

Sure it might be american companies/products, but they mostly manufacture in china it seems as you look through the high street and consumer goods(or maybe in the usa your government has been more protectionist than here in europe?).

I thought it was just the beauty of pure capitalism at work in a global world?

No, the US is not more protectionist. We also have mostly made in china consumer goods such as clothes, shoes, and electronics. But most of the other products are not made in china (like foodstuffs, oil, and pharmaceuticals). But not many of the product that I buy other than food are made in the US.

wasn't quite sure where to put this(could have gone on the 'sciency' thread etc), but i think it might work here quite well:

US scientists 'hack' India electronic voting machines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/10123478.stm

Personally i think any electronic system of voting is wide open to much easier abuse than traditional 'pen+paper' voting. It's so much easier to delete a text entry on a computer than it is to get rid of the physical evidence of voting sheets. So a wider issue not just of concern to India imho.

A properly built system would be far more secure.

I know that here we use a small card, similar to a cell phone's sim card. We click these into a computer and it loads the voting screen. We cast our vote and then place the card in a pile. After that, my assumption is that these are taken to a central area and loaded onto a secure server that tallies the votes automatically. I don't know how easy it'd be to hack an American voting machine, but there must be a weakness somewhere that a hacker somewhere would love to exploit.

I know that some of the machines that were being used the election before last were running windows and mcaffee. I'd say they were badly designed based on that alone.

If I were doing it, I'd build a minimal operating system for the task and simply have it send some authentication key wrapped around the vote that was chosen. Then some central server(s) held in physically secure locations and isolated from every network bar the voting machine one would unencrypt the packages, verify their authenticity (this would be checking that the packet was sent from a genuine machine and then that the voter was a genuine voter) and then add the vote to some internal tally if it passes.

The implementation of that system might be quite difficult, though.

Y'now, this serious talk is derailing this dumb thread...

Its OK people, there is a solution!

http://fffff.at/shaved-bieber/

Remove Justin Beiber from your life with Shaved Beiber. Shaved Beiber is to Justin Beiber as AdBlockPlus is to ads

you must have firefox to use it though, and as I recall you are one of those weirdos who sticks with IE even when you know there are other options.

Browser snobs = Beiber's two pubes. They're more proof...

I use a healthy blend of chrome, firefox and opera. The occasions when I am forced to use IE (esp. anything before 7) feel like amputation.

...and speaking of the decline of western civilisation:

UK finishes bottom in Eurovision 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10185248.stm

Now while i know the trend of voting poorly for the uk started as a kind of protest over the Iraq war(seriously), which i think is fair enough, this is getting a bit vindictive now maybe?

And it took the final vote to give 12 points(maximum mark) to Belarus(which at best was a worthy 3 point performance) to ensure the uk finished plumb last! :lol:

'Stitch-up' is a good word. Now while the uk's entry wasn't fantastic(the backing singers were off pitch), it certainly wasn't the worst performance of the night.

Anyway it is interesting to see the eurovision backlash to the Iraq war spill over into new anti-uk directions. Was this about the fact that we now have a Conservative(anti-european) led government maybe? Still i'm not sore about it, it is an interesting platform to use to make political statements and i look forward to more in the future - just spare a thought for the poor victim that will be the next uk entrant.

Oh and 'eurovision' as a whole can be taken as proof of the decline of western civilisation ;)

Oh gosh, you poor sore loser. :shame:

;)