Zack

Proof of the Decline of Western Civilization

91 posts in this topic

Yeah, hippies should definitely be illegal.

:lol:

The only problem with hippies is where they became the industrial/corporate leaders/CEO's of today. Somewhere on that 'trip' that started with peace+love(both good sentiments btw) back in the 60's, it became jaded and lost, and after years of 'living the dream' these hippies became some of the most capitalist-cruel operators on the planet :q:

To me it's the same kind of phenomenon as you find with hard line Jewish people, where by the scars of WWII has led them(of all people!) to become borderline fascists themselves. Very sad, and so wrong :(

As much pure evil came out of the 60's social 'hippie' revolution as pure good imho.

@ raf0485,

Do you really feel the youth gang culture of america today is left overs from prohibition? I mean these aren't exactly educated kids we are talking about - i suspect 80% of them will not even be aware of the prohibition years in americas history?

To me the problem of youth gang culture in the usa seems more of a state created one in some ways, keep the rich rich(and 'white'), and the poor poor(and 'black')?

The drugs trade is a big factor in this, and most knowledgeable folks are aware of the links between the drug cartels in south america and various parts of the secret service and government(those links/patterns seemed to be developed during the vietnam war). Not to go all conspiracy-theory on you ;)

I kind of think it(gang culture) is a social control mechanism as it predominantly effects non white society?

The prohibition era affects gang formation now because it provided an environment where organised crime could flourish. Those organisations did not disband at the end of prohibition and are still around and powerful.

Gangs exist to do the dirty work of these organisations, and are hence created by them.

Not that that is the only way gangs would be formed, I imagine.

What hippies became corporate peeps? Citation needed. :p

What hippies became corporate peeps? Citation needed. :p

I'll probably stretch the definition of hippy in some cases ;)

1. guys you might meet at 'live role play' events, in their late 40's, 50's and tell you they are bankers/accountants.

2. I think Steve Jobs was a bit of a hippy in his day, and to a lesser extent Bill Gates in his younger days(the tech-industry that grew up around San Fransisco seemed to have a bunch).

3. many of those aged rock stars(Jaggers/Pink floyds etc).

And in general a bunch people i know, usually the parents of friends of mine, that were all pretty much into the 60's free love ideal and among other things became Doctors, business entrepreneurs etc. I'm sure there are more of those than the ones i know personally :)

Doctors, business entrepreneurs etc

Truly, these are evil, corporate jobs :p

I wouldn't have conflated Steve Jobs, Bill Gates or roleplay geeks with hippies, either.

oh virgins boss - Richard Branson as well :)

No i think they(Jobs/Gates) all were part of the hippy thing, maybe just the fringe, but it was the times and they were young and part of that cultural awakening.

As for Doctors/business entrepreneurs being 'evil' - it depends in terms of the hippy ideals these guys(these are specifically ones i know) came from. They really were fully paid up members of 'sandals and free love' back in the day. Now they play the stock markets for profit, and one 'business entrepreneur' gets the timber he uses in his designer furniture from non-sustainable forests in eastern europe. I like to wind them up about all that when i see them ;)

Overall i don't have a problem at all with the hippy movement, i'm glad it happened(glad i dont have to be part of it as well!) and really enjoyed the music and extra perspective it brought to day-to-day life.

But the ex-hippy business executive is a scary beast ;)

Yeah, hippies should definitely be illegal.

:D

hippies.jpg

Wrong thread, we want the Freudian Experiment thread...

I'm going to go ahead and file a bunch more restraining orders for you.

You cannot defeat my loving heart with mere court orders.

actually if we are honest, all we need do is look ourselves deep in the eye in the mirror in the morning - there's the decline of western civilisation ;)

presuming you live in western civilisation that is off course.

......that and the fact CivV is steam only..........and the big oil slick thing..........and my prediction of the conservatives winning this election because for months we in the uk, have been groomed by the masters that it would happen ;)

...You left out the internets. Most any given YouTube comment illustrates what I'm talking about...

too true my friend, too true :yes:

...And these kids today are just no durn good...

...And proof that these kids today are just no durn good...