Zack

Proof of the Decline of Western Civilization

91 posts in this topic

We understand Justin Bieber's a busy kid. Putting your hat on backwards with perfection and hanging out with Usher takes a lot of time out of your day. But couldn't he squeeze in a few minutes to learn what "German" means?

During an interview with some guy (we could find out who it was but that would distract from the fact that the Beebs DOESN'T KNOW THAT THE WORD "GERMAN" EXISTS), he was asked if "Bieber" meant "basketball" in German. After acting like the guy was using some weird Kiwi slang, he responded: "We don't say that in America."

And he's right. We don't say that in America. Not the America I know. In my America, Bieber is English for "maybe home-schooling wasn't the best idea."

Aside from the fact that he likes basketball, says "yeah" a lot, and has a higher voice than my sister, Justin bieber is also severely lacking in the Geography department! "We don't say that in America." Maybe if you're homeschooled, but I'm pretty sure anyone with a half decent education knows what German is.

Discuss.

Do you know who he is?

No, you'd should ask one of the Kiwis here. :)

Funny thing is, he's from Canada. Only lived in the US for about a year.

googleicon.gifJustin Bieber

Funny thing is, he's from Canada. Only lived in the US for about a year.

googleicon.gifJustin Bieber

That explains a lot :cool:

Ze who do not know hiztory and bound to repeat it. Iz dat not zo, mein Fuhrer?

Ya, Das is true - get redi mien Zepplin and ve vill strike zem while zey ist so stupid!!

we homeschooled POTM for a year (8th grade, the hours were too early, POTM was having sleep problems, QOTM had wanted to home school, and we sort of all agreed 8th grade was pretty much useless anyway). She definitely knew what german was. I taught her Spanish myself, which was hard cause my Spanish ain't very good, but she didn't want to learn French and we wanted her to learn a Euro language in case the applied to an IB high school. One of her homeschooling friends is going to Georgetown U. Though she also knows a homeschooler who is working in a bicycle repair shop. As a career, apparently. There are many different sub worlds and approaches in the homeschooling community, and the gifted homeschoolers are by no means the smallest. Universities like Johns Hopkins make a decent revenue stream selling distance learning to home schoolers (POTM did writing and geometry through Hopkins, which were rather better taught than my Spanish).

if we knew way back what we know now, we probably would have homeschooled her earlier - theres something of a learning curve, so you get more bang out of it if you do it longer.

Homeschooling has always struck me as a decent sounding idea. How much stress did it put on you as a parent and as a family group?

I look around at society as a whole, i see the kind of kids our education system is helping to produce(to be fair the parents are the biggest issue imho) and i think i will probably end up home schooling at some stage also. Someone has to take responsibility for the future(our kids) before it all falls down around our ears.

But yeah bad home schooling(as in simple indoctrination, be it religious or other wise) can be as bad if not worse than mainstream education. You have to teach the kids to think and investigate not build up walls with untruths and propaganda.

As someone who is still part of the UK State school system (barely), I'd like to say that I think we do a pretty good job of it, actually.

In my school at least (it is a Grammar School (takes top whatever % of the students, supposedly) students are encouraged to do new and interesting things. The teaching is generally good and the relationship between students and staff is excellent.

my old school was excellent also :) So it's not that all schools are bad, but especially in inner cities etc it's a bit like a 'zoo' with the product being wild animals ;)

Social cohesion has started to slip as far as i can tell(well it's been 'slipping' since after the war(1945)), so i was probably seen as a 'wild animal' in my day also :D

Societies are certainly determined less by geographical location for adults, but I think that people my age are plenty sociable and pretty cohesive.

Luckily i'm sure most still are :b:

It's the worrying trend of gang culture(an import from the usa it seems, associated with gangsta-rap/gangsta movies/games etc) in our big cities that i was commenting on.

Certainly some parts of London are virtually no-go area's due to youth gang crime etc. That's the lost generation i'm talking about. We need to re-engage with these people, show them they have a positive role to play in the future and break the destructive cycle of violence and crime imho.

Actually, Bieber reminds of "beaver" in German, only the e is superfluous. But since girls shave nowadays, he might as well not know what that is.

El-Cid, you may well be right about gang culture being imported from the US, but it goes back much further than rap here. It can at least be partly traced back to the days of alcohol prohibition. Those men in congress meant well, but the devastating effects of it are still rampant. Prohibition led to the organizing of private, illegal distilleries and "bootlegging" of liquor. To this day, we still have gangs, moonshine, and NASCAR racing to credit to prohibition. Prohibition may not have lasted long, but the fallout sure has.

Narcotic legalization is a loaded topic, you know. There are a lot of negatives to consider alongside the positives. Legalization of certain substances would be a bit of an ease on society. Others, however, would do far more harm than good.

That probably is one of those that costs society more than it gains by banning it. Those drugs that kill people on a regular basis.. Those are the ones we need to emphasize keeping out of society. Organized crime profits very highly from the sales of marijuana. The drug war in Mexico is an example of a war almost entirely funded by pot. Cocaine, too, but cocaine should definitely not be legal. It is far too addictive and detrimental to health.

I spent over seven years in college and six on the road living among hippies. I've been around a great deal of both and approve of neither, but the wrong one is legal...

I spent over seven years in college and six on the road living among hippies. I've been around a great deal of both and approve of neither' date=' but the wrong one is legal...[/quote']

Yeah, hippies should definitely be illegal.

I was accepted by the tribe, but the experience did not increase my regard for hippies at all, no.