Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

Mart

Unit Workshop

10 posts in this topic

picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=635

Unit Workshop

This is where we can design new units for our faction. The year now is 2132 and we already have weapon 4 and armor 2, and few interesting abilities.

Trans Formers

code: 0-1t-1

cost: 30 minerals (3 rows)

design: Morgan Interstellar Ltd. MY 2132.

This unit is designed to operate in regions of Planet near xenofungus fields infested with mindworms, fierce enough to destroy regular former teams without protection. Trans Formers are thought to rely on their own psychic ability as the only protection. The solution has not been widely applied so far and its testing is expected to be closely watched by other companies.

picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=638

==============================

Trans Sea Formers

code: 0-1t-4

cost: 60 minerals (6 rows)

design: Morgan Interstellar Ltd. MY 2132.

Like its land counterpart, Trans Formers, the Trans Sea Formers unit is designed to operate alone on seas or oceans that can threaten with unknown yet native sea life. High cost of the unit is a serious drawback of this otherwise neat design.

picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=639

Impact Infantry

code: 4-1-1

cost: 20 minerals (2 rows)

prototype cost: 30 minerals (3 rows) as of 2132

design: Trevino Enterprises, MY 2132.

This unit is basic offensive infantry unit of Morgan Industries Corporation. Designed in 2132 by Trevino Enterprises, but no definitive date for mass production has been given yet.

picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=641

picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=640

Hey, Mart!

I saw you're talking about some land transport and I found that old post from ACDG3 conclusions. :cool:

And yes, that land transport has shown its uses in a case or two before I went on holiday. Don't know from afterwards. You have to ask Mart7x5 for that. 't Was his baby btw.

Oh, the LIT

Light Infantry Transport

It costed 1 mineral/turn and many say it is not worth it, but I think it is and in some cases even more than these 50-80 (around) minerals you pay for it in a game.

Formers that are transported by it get an additional turn of terraforming, if handled properly. If it can give a forest one turn earlier, for example you get additional resources already, so it pays for itself.

It helps also when fast relocation of units is needed. Once I remember we moved a rover 9 tiles thanks to it for security of a base, otherwise empty. Imagine this prevents for example loss of this base. How can you set a price for something like that? 50 minerals + lost energy income etc.

And ofcourse, attack of bases with infantry (+25%) with full move point, when they are not elite. but we never had chance for this

That should help fuel discussion.

I am usually conservative with unit workshopping, I don't design many exotic units for exotic use.

We researched Neural Grafting.

2 special abilities possible.

that makes it heaven for do-it-yourself people.

I dont see how the Tranceformer is useful. Even with Trance, it has almost no chance if attacked by a worm. The 10 extra minerals are pretty much wasted. The chances of the TranceSeaformer are not much better. It loses (on average) almost 90% of encounters with IoDs.

If you want to create a worm-proof Former you need to armor them and give them the Trance ability. Even then the combat odds agains worms are merely even.

Edited by civac

I dont see how the Tranceformer is useful. Even with Trance, it has almost no chance if attacked by a worm. The 10 extra minerals are pretty much wasted. The chances of the TranceSeaformer are not much better. It loses (on average) almost 90% of encounters with IoDs.

If you want to create a worm-proof Former you need to armor them and give them the Trance ability. Even then the combat odds agains worms are merely even.

Would you design a few new units, that could be useful?

We would also used some as expensive as possible crawler, for trying popping material pods from unity pods. With both abilities, that could already make 1/2 to full cost of SP.

---------------

I just checked, a trance speeder supply 0-3t-2 costs 161. Almost full SP

Edited by Mart

Empath Rover (1e-1t-2) designed. Cost 40 minerals.

It would cost 40EC to get one by upgrading from a scout rover (as I'll do with ours).

SMAC rover.jpg

Edited by Vishniac
image added

Fungicidal Former.

One of the advices from Vel (in his strategy guide) is, as I remember, "specialize." And here it comes: specialized fungicidal former, that would remove fungus.

Region, that I think could use 'defunging' is Cydonia Plateau.

Optional model is with Trance Ability, but it is possible, that with Neural Amplifier SP, it will not be necessary to mount it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6557&d=1279145642

dg-fungy-1.jpg