chuft

Maps

18 posts in this topic

I found some custom SMAC maps on Apolyton. Does anyone know if they work with SMACX?

Any other good map downloads around the web?

I tried playing the Alien Crossfire version of the map of planet on vanilla and everything worked/loaded except the unity wreckage and fossil field ridge. There were still pods where the wreckage should have been, but they did not give the same items as they would normally give in an Alien Crossfire game. The landmark labels were still on the map but the landmarks weren't. Also the manifold Nexus worked 100% the way it should which was surprising to me, since I thought that was an expansion thing as well.

So I am guessing maps are interchangeable as long as you are not expecting the wreckage or fossil ridge to show up in a vanilla game.

I read somewhere in another thread that someone wanted a larger version of the map of planet. Since I read that I have been trying to make a 128x256 version of the map, but it is taking me a long time to try scaling different things to where they actually look halfway decent. Plus the landmarks garland crater, sunny mesa, and mount planet are impossible to scale. Don't even get me started on rivers and moisture levels, those are very irritating to try matching and in some cases not possible.

I have no idea when I will finish this, but I would guess it won't be any time soon.

The Manifold Nexus was not introduced in the expansion. It's present in SMAC.

Oh, I didn't know that. How come it isn't included on the 2 original maps of planet?

I have no idea; I was unaware that the landmark was not present in the SMAC map of Planet. I thought it was, but I checked just now and there is no Manifold Nexus.

The Manifold Nexus was introduced in one of the patches to the original SMAC as a teaser for the expansion. Same with the Borehole Cluster.

last 13 posts in this thread were moved here as they have nothing to do with this discussion

There are a few maps mentioned here.

Collecting some SMAC maps was something I wanted to do a while ago, but I was unable to find many of the files I wanted.

Have you talked to Mart about it? I believe he's into maps.

That link I posted earlier had some stuff by him. I think someone should organise all the maps from the different locations and upload them all to a new file in the downloads section here.

Then we should have linked reviews and descriptions on the wiki for them.

I'm feeling too lazy to do that at the moment, however (like I'm feeling too lazy to argue about the Creation forum, I'll do it tomorrow :p)

(mandatory Lazytown reference)

You want a map to Stephie's location? Maybe I should send that restraining order after all...

She's in Iceland making volcanoes erupt. My power is max.

Linked post copied here because it is apparently going to be deleted soon.