Rhoth

Foreign Affairs Discussion - Southern Cross

534 posts in this topic

I sent it on, since I told Rob we'd be sending official greetings today.

If you chat do it on IRC or something like that so the chat can be properly recorded.

I sent it on, since I told Rob we'd be sending official greetings today.

Thanks! Our neighbour was over for dinner last night. :cheers:

And their response. :b:

Greetings Beta,

Welcome to our glorious lands, feel free to explore our extensive array of orange border lines!!

We are open to developing closer relations with your illustrious nation, as mutual security and prosperity are subjects close to our hearts. Our wise men are at this very moment ruminating about the prospect of closer technological ties; I'd even go so far as to say that they may have stirred enthusiastically!

We would prefer to continue communication via email for such weighty matters, as it better enables the thread of continuity to be followed by all concerned. If such times arise when more urgent matters need to be resolved, then we feel a switch to chats might better serve our mutual needs.

Please let us know if you forsee a common ground which we may meet upon, and we'd be happy to progress in our discussions.

Yours,

Southern Cross

So let's discuss it then. We're obviously headed for construction for the next 22 turns. After that we can work on alphabet, unless they'd like to trade it to us. At the moment I'd say the most important techs we'll need after construction are alphabet (for the obvious...so we can sing the ABC song ;)), sailing (for trade routes) and horseback riding (for flank attacking units and elephant potential). Calendar would be nice to have too (since we'll have two happy resources that will allow our cities to grow larger).

After those it depends on how we want to proceed. Do we head for military techs for maces and crossbows (which includes getting currency and code of laws or else trading for a bunch of monk techs), or go for research options like literature (for the great library)

Just tell them we are currently working on a tech and we be doing so for the next 22 turns, then we can work on alphabet.

Or if they have alphabet or could work on it sooner, then we can get trading sooner.

I think thats a good place to start out.

Once we get the Alphabet answer, we start start working on specifics.

But I would rather feel them out a bit more and see if they take the bait on alphabet, then tell them which techs we are interested in.

I just want to be a bit more sure they aren't having butsecks with the Vikings before I give too much info.

Currency and guilds I think are the focus I usually aim for. Money = power in so many different ways, from purchasing builds, to upgrading units, to maxing out science.

Currency and guilds I think are the focus I usually aim for. Money = power in so many different ways, from purchasing builds, to upgrading units, to maxing out science.

Normally I'd agree with you, and they're still good options, but with the setup of this game with all the human opponents next to each other we may need the war-technologies more. Not that we won't need gold for the upgrades and maintenance, I'm just thinking if we can steal a march on the Vikes before they're ready it would make things easier.

On the plus side currency is on the way to civil service (macemen and bureaucracy) and banking is on the way to guilds (knights).

And their response. :b:

Yep. Ally with SC. At least they talk.

Yep. Ally with SC. At least they talk.

Gotta agree with that. :) Probably should have expected it with Rob and Nugog leading the team. I still don't have a clue why the Vikings have been relatively closemouthed to the point of not responding to us, or reaching out for anything.

None of the Viking guys appear to be typical power demo gamers.

Rob and Nugog are gregarious, but they also want to win.

I like em, but I aint gonna trust them much farther than I can throw em.

None of the Viking guys appear to be typical power demo gamers.

Rob and Nugog are gregarious, but they also want to win.

I like em, but I aint gonna trust them much farther than I can throw em.

Yep. So, plan on killing them first, while using them as much as possible. :)

I'd rather kill the Vikings first (well, first after the Swine), but we'll see what happens. Right now I'd rather ally with SC than the Vikes simply because they respond to us and seem eager to be our friend vs. the big bad Vikes.

..... vs. the big bad Vikes.

:scared:

51kcqc12sslss500.jpg

Where she is putting that sword, with the blood on it.... no bodies around... makes me wonder all sorts of inappropriate thoughts like just what time of the month it is, and just what was she doing with that sword... eww.

We need a response back to SC as well.

No - we need comments on the viking babe! :doitnow!:

Minor PM message from Rob asking for confirmation of receipt, and my response. I'm not going to bother posting it in the other thread.

Just checking that you guys received our diplo message via GMail. Tried to contact you ingame, but my connection was very naughty today, and seemed to have had some problems with your firewall too.

Oh well, one of those days.......

Hmm, weird. Yeah we received your message. Sorry about that.

We're currently composing a response. Not sure when it will be finished though. Beta is head of FAM and I try to keep my nose out of it. ;)

Dear Team Southern Cross (or whatever)

Glad to hear you are doing well. The Apocalypto Team response to your corrospondence has been favorable. We are looking forward to solidifying our relationship in the near future.

We would like to start out by saying that we need about 20 turns to finish a Tech, and then we could begin Alphabet, which of course enables Tech trading. If your team is in the process of researching it now or could possibly begin research sooner then we could start trading techs even sooner.

We would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this matter, and look forward to a mutually rewardi g partnership in the future,

Love and kisses

Beta

Beta work with this. I got class again this morning so I can't mess around with it much more.

I got this hunch Rob really wants to trust us. Lets see if this gets him talking. We share a bit of stuff but not too much.

I wasn't crazy about all the stuff we told the Vikings but went along with the team response. Based on what I know now. I think that hunch was correct.

I don't want to share much more with Rob quite yet until we see his response.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it. :)

I need comments on the above guys, Beta is leaving town for the rest of the week, so I need to clean the above up and get it out.

Looks pretty good to me. Since you seem to be more familiar with the SC group, I assume you know better whether to send them love and kisses and such. ;)

Telling them 20 turns might enable them to guess our Construction plan and/or lead to questions that will bring up the war. Still, unless they're in cahoots with the Vikings or contact and then fall into cahoots with the Swine, I don't see much harm in that. Hell, even if they did give the info to the Swine, the Swine couldn't do much with it without Viking help. So unless the Swine are already teaming up with the Vikings, in which case we're pretty screwed anyway, I think we can trust them with that.

Dear Team Southern Cross

We are glad to hear you are doing well. The Apocalypto Team response to your correspondence has been favorable. We are looking forward to solidifying our relationship in the near future.

We would like to start out by saying that we need about 20 turns to finish a Tech, and then we could begin Alphabet, which of course enables Tech trading. If your team is in the process of researching Alphabet now or could possibly begin research sooner then we could start trading techs even sooner.

We would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this matter, and look forward to a mutually rewarding partnership in the future.

I am away from Tuesday to Saturday this week. Please contact Rhothaerill and/or conmcb25 to discuss further or reply via this gmail address.

edit - sent.

Also changed slightly the "please contact.." line from the original.

Edited by Beta

As posted in the official correspondence thread:

Quick note to Rob via PM, in light of the fact that we'll be on top of one of their non-culture enclosed roads in a couple turns.

Hey I wanted to send you a quick message to let you know that we're just passing through and have no intention of messing with your road, etc.

Rhoth of the Empire of the Apocalypse

And Rob's response:

:lol:

The thought never even entered our minds.......;)

Edited by Rhoth

Response from Southern Cross:

Apocalypto

After much discussion, what is eminently clear is that we are united in our desire to forge closer links with those of Apocalyptoan descent.

After crunching numerous scenarios, with the sole aim of co-ordinating tech trading with your good selves, we feel that it would benefit both teams if the matter of researching Alphabet was tasked to your mighty empire. However we tried to work things out we could not beat you 20 turn target without severely curtailing our development.

If you are still on for working through this scenario we are eager to start discussing the finer details of tech pathing to avoid any further unnecessary tech duplication.

Eagerly awaiting further progress in our talks.

Yours,

Southern Cross

I let Rob know that we received the email and we'll try to work on a response by the end of the weekend.