vyeh

How long have you played SMAC/X?

89 posts in this topic

(stole the idea for this thread from Grandpa Troll)

I bought the game and its expansion when it first came out, but never played it.

When I moved to Mac, I bought the game and expansion from eBay, but never played it.

I use to play Civ II like SimCity (eliminate all but one opponent, reduce that opponent to one base and then build every facility possible).

Eventually I got bored and remembered that SMAC had the first 99% rating from PC Gamer.

So I dug out my disks and started playing. That was a few years ago.

In 1998, the TBS landscape in Britain was a bleak and hostile place. AliC was forced to play FPSes like Blood II, Unreal Tournament, and Quake III, none of which was particularly cerebral. Worse still, when she won her male friends would shun her because of bruised ego and hurt butts.

Then... CIVILIZATION CALL TO POWAAAH!!!

AliC rushed out and bought it and played it for two whole hours. After only making it twenty turns into the game, she took it back and

Oooh, what's this? A poster of a space jet? "Alpha Centauri - COULD THIS BE THE DEATH OF CIVILIZATION?"

WTF is this imposter, this rebellant knave, this pretender to the throne? thought AliC. Some hackmeister design house out there has STOLEN the Civ idea! How dastardly, how roguish. Like those biker dudes she used to "hang out" with back in high school, stealing kisses and robbing the branch of Lloyd's Bank around the corner.

She bought it anyway.

Ten years later, they're still together. I hear they're even doing well.

Don't know exactly, but maybe 3-4 years on and off now. Playing maybe a game or 2 a month(during that time I played mostly civ2 and Starcraft). Then I started getting bored of civ 2 a few months ago and have been playing SMAC more often now. Finding a forum for the game was also probably a factor in my increased interest in the game.

never owned or played. Should I buy?

Yes. It used to be very expensive, but there is a cheap source. (See another thread on this forum). Who knows how long it will be available?

It has a lot of neat features. And great music and storyline. A lot of people say the AI has a lot more character than Civ.

I played ever since it came out, pre-ordered the expansion pack, then pre-ordered the linux port. The best "investment" I ever made in any form of entertainment :lol:

I use to play Civ II like SimCity (eliminate all but one opponent, reduce that opponent to one base and then build every facility possible).

Ohmygod, v. You, too? I still do that. We are such pedants.

never owned or played. Should I buy?

Yes. See also everything else on the AC forum, and AC MP for why. This game has the kind of magic as to still have a very muscular following ten years later.

(I'd thought about making a special effort to recruit you anyway, as with Granpa Troll expressing interest yesterday, it could be 100% of the top posters at WPC as of yesterday afternoon being SMACers...)

I go back as far as one can with SMAC without having worked at Firaxis back then. The AC demo was on a disk that came with Computer Games+ magazine, and I was instantly hardcore addicted. I was dreaming about playing that demo for a month or two. I wasn't doing anything else with my free time.

I'm a cheap SOB who doesn't spend money on games, but when I saw it in the bargain bin (actually the first time I saw the full game on sale) in the fall of 1999 for $5, I had to have it. My life was straight up runed by one-more-turn for over a year. After that, I could stop to attend to RL stuff when I needed to, but always came back after errands.

No other game has ever gotten to me so thoroughly. I've never gone more than six months without playing, and that only twice.

I'm so ghay for AC that I still want to move to a state where I can marry it. After ten years+ of shacking up, that's true love.

vyeh, did you ever try founding a waterbase at one of the poles, surrounding its square completely with land, giving it to the single opponent and then eliminating the rest of his bases?

Actually, I placed the opponents on one square tundra islands (so they would be alive, but couldn't start bases). Then I could create the maximum 255 bases.

You guys are like the exact opposite of me, LOL

I spent all my time building up my infrastructure and being friendly with the AI until I discovered all the techs (usually around mid 1800s)then I'd gift all the techs to all the AI's and start a massive world war by getting them all to declare war on each other through diplomacy then I would declare war on all of them myself. I had lots of fun wars doing this.

Playing for a week now...

Way to go.

Now with Civ2 I got so I'd actually be trying to pump up my opponents so they'd take a run at the Starship Wonder. Hard to get any competition at all for the "transcendence" victory in CivII, though...

:otf:LOL I just noticed something funny. Alinestra Covelia's title is woman in chinese. How do you get a custom title like that?

She asked for it.

When I asked for one, I got no answer.

I'm not a woman, though, and I'm certainly no Ali...

We had a long discussion about custom titles. The long and the short is that the women get custom titles because the default titles are masculine (prince, king).

The founders said they were interested in awarding titles as prizes. Maybe you could get one after some kind of competition at the arcade. (And I forgot who visited the MP forum when I posted that poll!)

I think I've been playing SMAC for about 7 years, SMAX for 3. I'm thinking of getting "One More Turn" or just "OMT" tattooed on me somewhere, but where?

On your hand (it does the one more turn clicking)? Welcome willybj :)

Welcome, gwillybj!

On your :broc: stem.

Crap, Gamera beat me to that one...

:broc:

I've got it too!

I meant the d**k-joke, actually.

Wait. The is what you meant, isn't it?

[Edit: Good lord. I had to censor that myself. I called the mod a ****** yesterday, but I can say that. Great.]

Edited by Buster's Uncle

Mass confusion is lovely

Wait there was a joke about a Richard in there?

That's where I was gonna go, however circumlocuted, and how I interpreted your stem remark, you dirty boy.

Funny answer:

Yessir. Nixon. He should have it tattooed on a dead president.