chuft

Any interest in an IRC text-based chat channel?

6 posts in this topic

I am kind of surprised I have not come across any reference to an IRC text chat channel for this site. Don't you guys like to have a place to hang out and chat in real time? I would think fans of the Civ games would have an appreciation for time-wasting activities. :wink:

If you've never done it, it's easy and provides a great way to get to know people in a cozier format than a web board, and is more suited to comments that are not really suited for the long-term, archive-like nature of a web forum, like "Hmm, what should I have for dinner". It's also a good place to tab-out of a game in progress and make a comment in, like "that bastard Yang just stole my new missile cruisers! It took 15 turns to build that prototype!"

I can easily set up a channel and post instructions on how to use IRC if there is any interest.

RMcD094 set one up in December. Search OT for the thread.

Interesting. Looks like it was some kind of web-based thing that is created only when someone goes into it, and disappears when you leave. Feels more like a meeting than a local pub.

I am thinking more of a regular permanent IRC chat room, a kind of virtual hangout. Real IRC clients have low overhead so you can lurk in the room all the time if you wish with the client minimized to the system tray and it doesn't affect your use of web browsers. (I am continually quitting and restarting Firefox for various reasons.)

Anyway if anyone would like a "virtual pub" to hang out in, sing out. It's free and easy enough to create.

Thing is, that's what OT is for. You should come talk crap with me in OT. :nod:

What's the point, on WPC people say stuff like "What's for dinner" anyways.