Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

chuft

Sea Crawlers

23 posts in this topic

I just had an interesting experience. I am playing an aquatic faction and I started a Secret Project in a base. I decided to have another base help out and had it build a "Skimship Supply" unit, assuming a sea "crawler" could be used like a land Supply Crawler to add minerals to the Secret Project. When I moved it into the sea base, the game did not ask me if I wanted to add it to the Secret Project minerals. I thought this was odd, but I ended the turn and tried again next turn, hitting the spacebar when the unit's turn came up. Again the game did not ask me. The third turn I checked under the Action menu and did not see any action for adding the supply unit to the secret project. I disbanded it, and did not receive any message saying its minerals had been added to the secret project like I would with a land crawler.

Do sea supply units lack the ability to help build prototypes/secret projects? Or does the game just not prompt/inform you about this, but apply the minerals normally if you disband it manually?

I just tried it with a land crawler and it still did not give me any messages about helping build the Secret Project in the sea base. It did add some minerals when I manually disbanded it, but there was no message about helping the Project, and it didn't seem like a lot of minerals, but I am not sure how much a crawler normally adds.

So it doesn't seem to be a case of sea supply units so much as sea bases. Can they not make full use of supply units to help with projects/prototypes?

I am playing an alien faction by the way.

Any saves?

Was it singleplayer or TCP/IP multiplayer?

That counts, as TCP/IP works differently in many small things.

In singleplayer, maybe you are making an SP that is already built?

I should have auto-saves but it is using my mod/new factions so I think you would need that installed.

Single player.

The SPs were not already built because I did build them by spending energy, and saw the movie. Also they were not in the list of SPs in the Nexus screen listing the ones under construction/built.

So does this mean it is a bug? Can everyone else use crawlers to help build SPs and prototypes in sea bases?

I can't recall ever trying it before.

chuft,

In your Alphax.txt file, find the #WEAPONS section. The following line should be present:

Supply Transport, Supply, 0,10, 8, -1, IndAuto,

Is your Supply Transport line exactly the same? It also might be helpful if you posted the (faction).txt file for your aquatic faction.

Petek

chuft,

In your Alphax.txt file, find the #WEAPONS section. The following line should be present:

Supply Transport, Supply, 0,10, 8, -1, IndAuto,

Is your Supply Transport line exactly the same? It also might be helpful if you posted the (faction).txt file for your aquatic faction.

Petek

Yes it is exactly the same.

Here is the faction txt file

cthulhoid.txt

The only part of your text file that may be a problem is the number of special abilities. There's an upper limit, which right off the top of my head is 7. One of the creation guys can feel free to step in aand correct me. However, AKAIK, the only effect of having too many is that the excess ones are disregarded.

I'll install your mod and see what happens, but probably not today. Are any of your other factions affected in the same way?

Petek

As far as I know, excess abilities are simply disregarded.

The only part of your text file that may be a problem is the number of special abilities. There's an upper limit, which right off the top of my head is 7. One of the creation guys can feel free to step in aand correct me. However, AKAIK, the only effect of having too many is that the excess ones are disregarded.

I'll install your mod and see what happens, but probably not today. Are any of your other factions affected in the same way?

Petek

I was wondering about that, but all of the special abilities seem to be working. They start a new game with 60 energy instead of 10, get minerals at sea, get nutrients from fungus (although they seem to get 2 instead of 1), get psi gates in every city, get the specified techs, get the progenitor benefits, get the social effects specified, get the -2 drones....maybe progenitor factions can have more powers? Or maybe Aquatic and Alien don't count? This faction has 11 things listed in special abilities and they all seem to work.

I know when I was upgrading Cha Dawn it ignored all benefits past the first 9.

I haven't had a chance to test everything with the latest version of the mod but in the past I don't recall the other factions having any problems. But as I say, i don't recall ever trying to use crawlers to help build things in sea bases either, either with this mod or without.

The bonuses below can be used all of them in a single faction, they do not count towards limit of 8 (afaik):

#BONUS

Morale Modifier

Psi Combat Modifier (%)

Research Bonus Per Base

Extra Drone Per Base

Extra Talent Per Base

Bonus Energy Reserve

Energy Interest (%)

Bonus Commerce Rate

Population Bonus

Hurry Modifier (%)

Research Modifer (%)

Share Technology

Select Technologies

Terraform Bonus

Bonus Commfrequency

Immunity to Mind Control

25% Attack Bonus

Free Prototypes

Aquatic Faction

Alien Faction

Worm Police

Share Tech w/ Infiltrator

Steal Tech

#BONUSCODES

MORALE

PSI

RESEARCH

DRONE

TALENT

ENERGY

INTEREST

COMMERCE

POPULATION

HURRY

TECHCOST

TECHSHARE

SELECTTECH

TERRAFORM

COMMFREQ

MINDCONTROL

FANATIC

FREEPROTO

AQUATIC

ALIEN

WORMPOLICE

SHARETECH

TECHSTEAL

========================

The abilities below are limited to 8 only:

#LIMITEDBONUS

Free Tech.

Free Facility

Free Vehicle

Social Benefit

Robust

Immunity

Impunity

Penalty

Fungus Nutrient

Fungus Mineral

Fungus Energy

Bonus Votes

Free Facility (Prereq.)

Revolt

No Drone

Free Ability (Prereq.)

Probe Cost

Defense

Offense

#LIMITEDBONUSCODES

TECH

FACILITY

UNIT

SOCIAL

ROBUST

IMMUNITY

IMPUNITY

PENALTY

FUNGNUTRIENT

FUNGMINERALS

FUNGENERGY

VOTES

FREEFAC

REVOLT

NODRONE

FREEABIL

PROBECOST

DEFENSE

OFFENSE

===============================

ALIEN, 0, AQUATIC, 0, PSI, 25, FACILITY, 33, TECH, DocFlex, SOCIAL, +RESEARCH, SOCIAL, -GROWTH, NODRONE, 2, TECH, Ecology, FUNGNUTRIENT, 1, ENERGY, 50

There is 7 limited bonuses, so this faction should work ok.

The crawler thing might be some problem hidden in text files, introduced during modification/mod building.

Does order "o" (crawl resources) in a base work? The crawler should have non-zero move points for that.

I agree with Mart that the problem probably lies in one of your text files. For example, in scripts.txt, the following appears:

#SUPPLYMENU

Continue moving.

Assign to secret project ($FACILITY0, $NUM0 of $NUM1 minerals).

Assign to prototype development ($TYPE0, $NUM0 of $NUM1 minerals).

Commence NUTRIENT convoy from $BASENAME3.

Commence MINERALS convoy from $BASENAME3.

Commence ENERGY convoy from $BASENAME3.

Do you have this entry?

I created a new folder on my C: drive and copied all my Alpha Centauri files into it. I then copied your lazymod files there, following your instructions. See the attached save file from a game I created using the scenario editor. Move the trawler into the base. Do you get a popup message to assign it to the SP? What if you press the "O" key (with the trawler in the base)? Same questions using the supply crawler that's already in the base. These actions all work for me as expected. If they don't for you, then you probably have a problem with a text file, as noted above.

Petek

Great Cthulhu of the Cthulhoids, 2106.SAV

Thanks Mart, that is some great information!

Thanks very much Petek for your help.

I agree with Mart that the problem probably lies in one of your text files. For example, in scripts.txt, the following appears:

#SUPPLYMENU

Continue moving.

Assign to secret project ($FACILITY0, $NUM0 of $NUM1 minerals).

Assign to prototype development ($TYPE0, $NUM0 of $NUM1 minerals).

Commence NUTRIENT convoy from $BASENAME3.

Commence MINERALS convoy from $BASENAME3.

Commence ENERGY convoy from $BASENAME3.

Do you have this entry?

Yes I do.

I created a new folder on my C: drive and copied all my Alpha Centauri files into it. I then copied your lazymod files there, following your instructions. See the attached save file from a game I created using the scenario editor. Move the trawler into the base. Do you get a popup message to assign it to the SP?

Yes I do. Hmm.

What if you press the "O" key (with the trawler in the base)? Same questions using the supply crawler that's already in the base. These actions all work for me as expected. If they don't for you, then you probably have a problem with a text file, as noted above.

Petek

"O" works. Hitting the spacebar does not, I thought that would prompt you if the crawler started its turn there, but maybe I am just mistaken about that. I could be confused with Alien Artifacts, which I think offer to be hooked up to a network node if they start the turn there and you hit the spacebar.

Anyway I think I have discovered the source of the "problem" thanks to your test file. The problem is I am using Psi Gates to move the crawlers in. The game apparently does not consider this "movement" so I don't get the prompt to add to a secret project. I then hit Spacebar thinking it would give me the prompt, but I guess that was just confusion on my part. I guess in the past if I started in the square for some reason, I would move out and back in to get the prompt. I never remember hitting "O" to get it.

Anyway it's the psi gates, and me then hitting the spacebar, that is causing the confusion. Moving in normally or hitting O does indeed result in the prompt. Oops. :facepalm:

Cool, i have never used crawlers in this way... might have to look into it... D*mn, Smac is so deep, i think i still have things to learn about it after 9-10 years playing (not that i can beat it on trancend yet ;))!

I do on transcend- but I cheat like mad...

Bad, bad, bad Buncle!

I never do, not even in GOTM, except the stockpile energy exploit.

I do not except in SP, where no one else is affected. You oughtta know me better than to think I'd cheat against people.

I do not except in SP' date=' where no one else is affected. You oughtta know me better than to think I'd cheat against people.[/quote']

I never thought you did it with people.

It's just that I can't see the point in people cheating against the computer. In fact, I'd wait for it to kick my ass if it can, and am delighted when it happens, or at least when it almost happens . :D

You know- it's really a whatever floats your boat thing. I have a cheat that no one else seems to have ever discovered -I call it the Time Warp- that's so powerful that I never use it; total game breaker that turns it too boring to enjoy.

Having all my units Elite, however, doesn't take that much of the challenge out. Really, I just played on easy until a few years ago, but I like the building aspects of the game, with only enough challenge thrown in to keep a little excitement. Exploiting on transcend is probably just a phase I'm going through...

You know- it's really a whatever floats your boat thing. I have a cheat that no one else seems to have ever discovered -I call it the Time Warp- that's so powerful that I never use it; total game breaker that turns it too boring to enjoy.

Is it the same Time Warp that can be chosen in the Custom Rules or is it a special BU time warp where only BU's faction gets warped?

I told about this back in April and Petek didn't believe me, even when I posted a save - I think it must be fixed in v.2 of SMACX.

It works like this: if you saved right before you ended the turn and something like golden age happens that enables you to enter a base screen while the beginning of the turn is still cycling through the bases - you can load the save, right? Then, the game thinks it's the previous turn, changes like units destroyed between turns are reverted, as are things like forest growing or that road a spore launcher destroyed -and none of your moved units get their move points back -that base and any built earlier are reverted, too- but every base built after the one you loaded the save in still grows and accumulates EC and research points and builds -'cause the game still cycles through the rest of the bases. This accumulates like mad if you save the end again each time you do it and repeat for a while.

What you have to do is set it up so your first base is the only one not growing/building. Still, you can't do any terrain improvements or build roads and it's rare to have a spot in range of a colony pod, so you can't expand, either. What it gives you is an unbelievable turn advantage, 'cause the game thinks it's still whatever year you started accumulating instant/free growth/building/EC/research. It's also incredibly boring. I cannot recommend it.

Edited by bdanv
spoiler tags added

Does order "o" (crawl resources) in a base work? The crawler should have non-zero move points for that.

Mart,

A minor correction. A crawler can use the "O" command even with zero MPs. For example, refer to the save file in my above post. Select the base, then activate the crawler and press the spacebar. Now go back into the base, select the the crawler and choose "activate unit". Nothing appears to happen, but if you now hit the "O" key, you'll be given the chance to add the crawler to the SP.

Petek