chuft

Water worlds

36 posts in this topic

Free upkeep would definitely be a help to the AI's with perimeter defenses. If you can find a good balanced tech for moving tachyon fields up the tech tree I don't see any problem with it. It should definitely come after Doc: AP though since that is when you get aerospace complexes which are the last of the 3 defensive buildings.

Maybe around Fusion power?

On a side note I was further tinkering with the world builder section. setting deep ocean to -2 seems to also create more shelf tiles. If you go lower than -2 it starts creating more land. I put it at -64 and it made an almost completely land map and ~70% of the land created was above 1000 altitude.

I don't think it's just a case of attacking from transports. Often sea bases are located adjacent to land, and marines can and do attack them from there. Perimeter defenses help defend against this.

Try this setting for water worlds I think it comes out quite nicely for Huge Plnet (64x128) maps and custom sized maps that are larger.

#WORLDBUILDER

64, ; Land base (Seeded land size of a standard world)

48, ; Land modifier (additional land from LAND selection: x0, x1, x2)

8, ; Continent base (Base size of a land mass seed)

6, ; Continent modif. (Increased size from LAND selection: x0, x1, x2)

-2, ; Hills base (Base # of extra hills)

4, ; Hills modifier (additional hills from TIDAL selection: x0, x1, x2)

-4, ; Plateau base (Basic plateau size)

3, ; Plateau modifier (Plateau modifier based on LAND selection: x0, x1, x2)

8, ; Rivers base (Basic # of rivers)

12, ; Rivers rain mod. (Additional rivers based on RAIN selection)

14, ; Solar Energy (Latitude DIVISOR for temperature based on HEAT) Smaller # increases effect of HEAT selection

14, ; Thermal band (Latitude DIVISOR for thermal banding) Smaller # widens hot bands

8, ; Thermal deviance (Latitude DIVISOR for thermal deviance) Smaller # increases randomness

8, ; Global Warming (Latitude DIVISOR for global warming) Smaller # increases effect of warming

5, ; Sea Level Rises (Magnitude of sea level changes from ice cap melting/freezing)

5, ; Cloudmass peaks (Size of cloud mass trapped by peaks)

3, ; Cloudmass hills (Size of cloud mass trapped by hills)

1, ; Rainfall coeff. (Multiplier for rainfall belts)

-5, ; Deep water (Encourages fractal to grow deep water)

79, ; Shelf (Encourages fractal to grow shelf)

-1, ; Plains (Encourages highland plains)

-12, ; Beach (Encourages wider beaches)

-1, ; Hills (Encourages hills x TIDAL selection)

-1, ; Peaks (Encourages peaks)

1, ; Fungus (Fungus coefficient based on LIFE selection)

3,6,12,18,24 ; Ratio (Continent size ratios)

108 ; Islands (Higher # increases island count)

I don't think it's just a case of attacking from transports. Often sea bases are located adjacent to land, and marines can and do attack them from there. Perimeter defenses help defend against this.

This is another good point (in fact in some of my scernarios where I've liberally given out units equipped with Amphibious Pods I've seen these land units attack size 1 sea bases, then drown when the base disappears! :lol: ).

OK, so you've convinced me that it is better for the AIs to have Perimeter Defenses available to them, than not.

Sooooo, you guys feel like vetting another alphax.txt for me?

D

Darsnan do you have any information as to how each of the world builder settings effects a map when it is generated. Some are pretty straight forward, like land base and land modifier, but for some I have noticed if you set a value to high or to low it will have very weird effects. For instance shelf if it is set higher than 80 it will start creating plateaus.Iif deep water is set to a low enough negative number it will create very high elevation land. I can't be the first person that has tried setting some weird values to these settings.

Sure, I don't have anything at all to do today.

OK, thread is located here:

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?5404-Low-Grav-worlds&p=165450#post165450

Appreciate any and all feedback on this! :b:

Darsnan do you have any information as to how each of the world builder settings effects a map when it is generated.

Smacksim posted a write-up over at 'poly a long long time ago. I'm not sure if its there anymore (from my understanding a lot of stuff was lost when 'poly migrated to their new servers). Other than that I don't think there is anything official anywhere. Typically I just play around with the worldbuilder until I get results I am looking for, but I have never done an exhaustive study on how each parameter effects map generation.

D

..Smacksim posted a write-up over at 'poly a long long time ago. I'm not sure if its there anymore ..

D

link here

I recently replayed SMAC, not SMACX. Didn't do aquatic anything, but I did have to go back up the learning curve of how to beat the AIs. I was surprised at the relative competence of the SMAC AI for an old game. It's better than the recent Freeciv I typically play.

What about groveling? I didn't like it, but when playing certain weak factions I found it expedient to pay the aggressors off at the beginning. Like when I'm the Morganites. On my replay I tried every faction and play style. Some factions are too weak at the beginning to survive without paying the bullies off. Especially if you're plopped down in a hot zone with 4 other factions close by.

Sun Tzu approved of groveling. Send him gifts. Let him grow weak with decadence, then take his cities.

ZOMG! You're a SMAcer, too!

Check the Custom Avatar Project on this page, pull up an avatar and make yourself at home. :)

Quote:
I recently replayed SMAC, not SMACX. Didn't do aquatic anything, but I did have to go back up the learning curve of how to beat the AIs. I was surprised at the relative competence of the SMAC AI for an old game. It's better than the recent Freeciv I typically play.

once you are back to speed, you should try kyrub's patch. he has rewrite the terraforming code which improves (some say) greatly the AI's overall performance.

Quote:
What about groveling? I didn't like it, but when playing certain weak factions I found it expedient to pay the aggressors off at the beginning. Like when I'm the Morganites. On my replay I tried every faction and play style. Some factions are too weak at the beginning to survive without paying the bullies off. Especially if you're plopped down in a hot zone with 4 other factions close by.

groveling is common practice in the early game. you should also avoid multiple hailing of the AIs after you made contact. this can make them more aggressive, and much more prone to declaring war especially on the higher difficulty levels.

Quote:
Sun Tzu approved of groveling. Send him gifts. Let him grow weak with decadence, then take his cities.

:nod:

..and welcome to WePlaySMAC! :)