MMC

CivPlayers League looking for Admins for new SMAC League

10 posts in this topic

CivPlayers is planning to bring Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri capabilities to its league platform shortly, and is looking for a number of individuals to serve as Admin and a Head Tournament Director. CivPlayers League, primarily offering its platform for Civ III and Civ IV games in the past, is looking to bring other Sid Meier games to its platform. CivPlayers offers a competitive platform for tracking games, wins and loses, ranking, and Glicko2-based skill rating, among all the SMAC league players.

We are coming to the community of experts to help fill a few key roles in our SMAC League. We would like the bring all Sid Meier’s games into the community where we believe it’s the best place to host it.

The SMAC league, as part of CivPlayers, will have capabilities to have its own forum subsections, maintain clans and tournaments. Please contact CanuckSoldier or MMC for more information.

Edited by MMC

Just to be clear, we don't have the league setup yet, we are just looking for community leaders to help us design the league, and then when we do go live with the league they would be the Admins and tournament directors etc.

The timeline would depend on the response we get, if it is highly enthusiastic, we could launch a SMAC before we launch our planned Civ5 league, or if it takes more time to organize it can be done after the Civ5 league.

At this time we are really looking for the experts to help us formulate a plan.

CS

bump.

bdanv, mart, Vishniac? Why aren't any of you here?

Darsnan, you have an excuse.

Yes I was hoping for something slightly more enthusiastic :-/

CS

bdanv, mart, Vishniac? Why aren't any of you here?

we have a poll about a SMAC tournament and there's little to no interest.

a league is demanding far more than that.

We're kinda a small community over here, and from what I've seen it looks like most of the serious players have kinda stopped playing.. Personally, I don't have the time to commit to a league or anything, but I would have loved to watch one's progress. <_<; Although I have to admit, after his performance in our PBEM kinda surprised Styx didn't jump all over the tournement at least, if not the league. o.o

I missed this thread, just got linked here from the ladder thread. I think what would be great if the currently ongoing ladder games could be all included, such that the ladder would be transformed into a league. The community is small and we do not have too many games going active, but it might help to boost participation of our games get some nice organization framework. It does not have to involve more games or strict commitments, just place the current games all under this framework and we can add any new games too. It certainly wouldn't hurt and could help revive the community...

where is the glicko2 link?

You can read all about glicko here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system

or

http://www.glicko.net/glicko.html

Basically, without having a phd in math, Glick is like ELO, but taking into consideration a rating period and rating deviation system to more accurately measure relative skill across the bell curve of overall player skill.

We have been using this at CivPlayers for two years now, and we just revamped our web site(we are not finished yet, but all of the player function at built) and added separate sub skill rankings for the major Civ game types, FFA, Teamers, duels etc. And this is certainly easy enough to do for a SMAC league, though we can do the code for a league easy enough, I'd really need a leader or two from the SMAC community to make a rule set for a SMAC league and to help design exactly what you want for game types and just general administraton of the league, Admin do stuff like manage game disputes, reset stats, post info etc, much like the mods do here for the forums, just expanded to the include league admin as well.

CS

Thanks, I can do some help if you need, I can help to setup the ladder for SMACX. I have done some research on the ELO system presently in SMACX, but I'm not sure exaclty how everything works for now on the SMACX ladder. Still, I would glady edit the profiles to setup a rating area and I can also edit the scores of players when they finish a game. Tell me if you need some help.

Edited by Eldramatico