DDragon

SMAC/X PBEM Game proposal...

161 posts in this topic

Arma,

Hey mate, send Bdanv via PM all the details needed for this game and im sure he will be able to set u up with a spot.

Also what version of SMAC (or SMACX) are you running? as we need to know if it is just SMAC or the expansion :) thanks mate and looking forward to this game as im sure eveyone else is too :D

I know its been a loooooong time in the making but we are nearly there :)

Thank you all for your patience :D

DD

As this would be my first PBEM I would not take care too much on faction choice, but I would ask to play the factions in the descending order:

Peace => Uni => Morgan => Believer.

I would play SMAC and SMAX as well.

If you all think 7 players would be too much, just tell me. As I came in very late for the game proposal I would not mind to retreat. But if you would like to have all human opponents I'd play.

Just give me a feedback.

Greets,

Arma

If you all think 7 players would be too much, just tell me. As I came in very late for the game proposal I would not mind to retreat. But if you would like to have all human opponents I'd play.
Well, I think playing with 7 could be fun, but it slows the game down more than linearly, because I don't think it is possible to do a turn per day with seven players. Looking at other games, they all seem to have troubles, even with a moderate amount of players (this might also have to do with the summertime).

Having thought it over, I'd rather play with 4, max. 5 people to increase the chances of succes, speed and replaceability.. I'll resign from this game, and maybe start a new thread.

Appendix:

I did a count in two threads and came to the following conclusion:

SMAC/X Game proposal:

1 DDragon

2 Mullet

(Bodissey)

3 thehatta

4 -dragon-

5 shhizm

6 Armageddon

New PBEM Game:

1 Telmenari

2 Mart

3 Arcainite

4 Vishniac

5 Kookee2k2

6 xenoom

7 Asky

I'd like to change my faction preference succession from

PK -> Univ -> Morgan to

PK -> Morgan -> Univ. Drones are a real ***** on Transcend :(

PS: Heh, nice - this forum censors stuff? Haven't seen that before.

I heard from DDragon that bdanv is back on the Internet...knock on wood...In that case, we should probably sound off to make sure everybody's still here and interested as it's been 2 whole weeks. I'm still in and willing to play pretty much anyone who's available (except Believers!), preferably Peacekeepers then Morgan.

(got this idea from the other PBEM thread. anything we can do to make bdan's job easier is good by me :)

Just posting to say I'm still waiting in the wings for this game to start. Anybody heard anything from DDragon yet?

bdanv replied to one of my emails on the 28th; he says he's "back in business but [he has] some catching up to do. [He'll] be more active on the boards in the coming days." I assume DDragon isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

So...anybody think this game will actually get underway before October?

how about introducing some dedicated "turn-movers", a kind of independent observer who has the passwords to all the factions and will step in to advance the turn if any one player holds up the game. All in the name of keeping the game moving.

Sorry people for my absence over the larger part of this as my wife is pregnant and appointments have been coming out of nowhere for it and work aside as well lol.

how about introducing some dedicated "turn-movers", a kind of independent observer who has the passwords to all the factions and will step in to advance the turn if any one player holds up the game. All in the name of keeping the game moving.

I would be willing to step into this role as an independent and impartial CMN. The only issue is that I don't own the expansion (I can't remember if you all had decided on vanilla or cross fire or what, I just figured I would mention my limitation).

Just speaking for myself, but I would be fine with you taking over CMN duties entirely if it got us started any faster...

And we aren't going to be playing with the expansion anyway so that's fine.

I haven't technically gone through CMN training, so I am not sure if it would be cool. And even if allowed, I am still amateur at map design so I wouldn't want people to hate me for locations. Lol. I would still be willing, I just don't know if you all want to take the risk or if I am allowed. :)

Well then, you aren't really "the newest CMN on the block" yet, are you?

Haha! Well, I am allowed in their super s3kr!t CMN cave, so in part that is still true. ;)

And bless bdanv's heart, but I think he has just been too busy to hit me up with the assignments.

I'd be willing to help out with the Turn Mover Concept, but I think it would work best if you made this into a PBT (Play by Thread) game instead of PBEM, as in you would post your saves in a Turn Tracking Thread as zipped file attachments.

The logic being that if people turn flaky, we wouldn't have to figure out who has the latest save? I'm not sure why this is beneficial; please explain.

Well im Cool with it if the top CMN's allow it to go ahead :D

The logic being that if people turn flaky, we wouldn't have to figure out who has the latest save? I'm not sure why this is beneficial; please explain.

The turn mover can move the turn faster if he has direct access to the file in the thread, rather than having to figure out where the game got stalled and waiting for someone to send it to him.

ok people i need an active count.... who is still here and willing/ready to play this game?

i know there will be a few of us with a game already on the go but if you think you can manage it let me know asap

Thanks

I would be willing to step into this role as an independent and impartial CMN. The only issue is that I don't own the expansion (I can't remember if you all had decided on vanilla or cross fire or what, I just figured I would mention my limitation).

the 'turn-mover' should be one of the active CMNs as only they will have all the passwords.

i'm ok with the concept as long as it will not involve the CMN in actively playing the game. he may find himself playing against him sometimes. :huh:

i think the 'turn-mover' should only open the save and hit the 'end turn' button to keep the game going on. this means the respective player will loose the movements of all the units he has and can only benefit from the production (if he has some going on at that time).

I agree here it should be the CMN of the game that pushes the turn thru without actualy letting the missing persons turn follow thru (ie no movments as such) but if we do go for this option, and this is only an 'IF', we need to agree on a time frame on when this would ocure.

..but if we do go for this option, and this is only an 'IF', we need to agree on a time frame on when this would ocure.

@Dolgo: please make a proposal.

I'm still interested in this game whenever it starts. DDragon said I should post to let you guys know...