DDragon

SMAC/X PBEM Game proposal...

161 posts in this topic

i only got 3 players (DDragon, mullet and thehatta - all at their first PBEM) confirming after i sent this email:

hello all,

we are finally ready to begin.

thehatta (marcbirch89@hotmail.com) will take the place of Dolgorukov.

i even have a replacement just in case...

so, if you are still interested please confirm in the setup thread: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2899

if everything goes well, i can even launch the game tonight. :-)

best regards,

bdanv

you are welcome to join, -dragon-. hmm... it should be interesting with two dragons in the same game :D

Well, sure, sounds interesting- sign me up. Where's the final (or the current) game setup? after reading through the thread, the latest one counts only 2 players, you mentioned 3...

No code has to be inserted here.

you have PKs, Believers, Morganites and University available.

Edited by bdanv

i will design the map and you'll get fair starting positions.

okay, one last question: when is the game scheduled to start?

i will need you to choose a faction and send me your password for the game for that.

sent you a private message.

received. thanks, -dragon-.

@DDragon, mullet, thehatta & -dragon- : do you want the result of this game to be entered in the SMAC ladder?

Sure, why not?

someone may not like to see his handle on the bottom of the standings.. :cute:

I don't mind the results going onto the ladder.

Is it possible to drop in another player at this point? I've played SMAC for awhile but never a PBEM before...sorry if I'm being rude or anything here.

[Edit: I've got a rather iffy install of SMAX but I've got the discs so I'll see if I can't get it set up properly. SMAC or SMAX either will hopefully be fine afterwards]

Edited by shhizm

Okay, I've got a working copy of original SMAC. If any of them are still open, my faction choice would be Peacekeepers, if taken then University, if taken then Morgan...

@Shhiam: Dont see why not at this point i dont htink bdanv has created the game as yet.. send bdanv a pm with the relevent information about your player setup and we shal see what happens from there..

@bdanv: I have no objections to having the game put on the SMACX Ladder

If any of you guys want to add me on instant messenger, drop by and we can have a chat :)

Hi,

the later the eveing...

Well, I am a newbie on MP gaming as well.

I just wanted to play another game, but it seems to be stuck. And I would really like to play my first MP.

So, If there is a spot still free at this point to join the game, I would be glad to do.

If not possible or not wanted, no problem, just tell me like it is.

regards,

Arma

I got in touch with bdanv via email and he says he's on a trip until the 12th. Don't know if anybody knew that already, but that explains the silence.

Arma,

Hey mate, send Bdanv via PM all the details needed for this game and im sure he will be able to set u up with a spot.

Also what version of SMAC (or SMACX) are you running? as we need to know if it is just SMAC or the expansion :) thanks mate and looking forward to this game as im sure eveyone else is too :D

I know its been a loooooong time in the making but we are nearly there :)

Thank you all for your patience :D

DD

-dragon- and Armageddon, which factions are you shooting for? From farther up the thread, so far we have:

Hive - DDragon

Gaians - thehatta

Spartans - mullet

Peacekeepers - ?

Believers - ?

Morganites - ?

University - ?

I told bdanv PK --> Univ --> Morgan but I don't know which one I'll get yet.

And yeah, first time doing multi for me too so I'm pretty stoked. bdan's getting back the day after my birthday :D

I already posted in another 'new PBEM' thread, but since they already have 6 players, I'd rather enlist here, if that is still possible?

Edit: Details: I only play SMAC, but it looks like that's no problem. This would be my first pbem, and I would like to participate as anything but the university.

I won't pretend to be the one making decisions around here (pretty much DDragon as he started this whole setup I believe?), but just thought I'd point out that, if Doux is approved, there would be seven players now (DDragon, thehatta, mullet, -dragon-, me, Armageddon, and Doux) so the game would be all human opponents. Which sounds like fun to me, but I would guess it would take even longer than usual? Just a thought.

@Doux: Lol, why don't you like the University? The extra drones? On Transcend, I can understand that.

And if the other PBEM's in the forum are any indication, with 7 people, it's inevitable that we're going to keep getting stuck when people have RL issues. Maybe we should draw up a formal "code of conduct" or something while bdanv is still away, DDragon?

Just speaking for myself, I should be able to complete my turn within 24 hours 95% of the time [knock on wood].

I won't pretend to be the one making decisions around here (pretty much DDragon as he started this whole setup I believe?), but just thought I'd point out that, if Doux is approved, there would be seven players now (DDragon, thehatta, mullet, -dragon-, me, Armageddon, and Doux) so the game would be all human opponents. Which sounds like fun to me, but I would guess it would take even longer than usual? Just a thought.

@Doux: Lol, why don't you like the University? The extra drones? On Transcend, I can understand that.

Number seven? I hadn't realised that.

I figured playing the University in an MP game would be a high security risk, unlike in SP where the AI is just so weak that even the drones of Transcend can't really stop the human player. Anyway, I wouldn't mind playing the Uni if there really are seven human players, but whether it's a good faction to start the exploration of PBEM games with...

And if the other PBEM's in the forum are any indication, with 7 people, it's inevitable that we're going to keep getting stuck when people have RL issues. Maybe we should draw up a formal "code of conduct" or something while bdanv is still away, DDragon?

Just speaking for myself, I should be able to complete my turn within 24 hours 95% of the time [knock on wood].

The best would be to have back-up players that can take over for short periods (I know I'll be on vacation for a week somewhere in august) and to have a stricter set of rules for when a player doesn't react for N days, unannounced.