Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dale

PC PowerPlay: Australian Civilization V Exclusive!

34 posts in this topic

The Australian magazine PC PowerPlay edition #176, April 2010, has an exclusive 6 page preview of Sid Meier's Civilization V. Included is a number of already seen images, but tucked up nicely in all the material are two new images confirming two of the Leaders/Civilizations being speculated: France (Napoleon) & Montezuma (Aztec).

cover.jpgnapoleon.jpgmonty.jpg

Summary of new points:

- Jon Shafer - lead design.

- Dennis Shirk - Producer.

- Dorian Newcomb - Lead artist for Civ 5.

- Ed Beach - lead AI programmer (help program the Hubble space telescope).

- Chris Hickman - lead animation.

- Clearly specified that only one civilian and one military unit per hex.

- Units on high ground inflict more damage.

- Battleships will have long-range bombardment (not specified).

- Troop transports are gone! "But what about troop transports? They're being done away with. Instead, units instantly transform into makeshift floating transports, in a similar way to Empire Earth. While crossing any body of water, a sizeable army is going to take up a lot of tiles, and be extremely vulnerable. Any serious seaborne invasion will involve careful planning and tight coordination of the navy and air force, which gels with history".

- War-like Civs will have units with more experience and battle readiness, but suffer the war effects on culture, science and economy.

- Weaker nations will be able to hold off powerful invaders through the use of choke-points, high ground and rivers.

- City-states won't try to win, but to survive.

- Singapore confirmed as a city-state.

- Multiple Civs can gain the benefits off a single city-state.

- No multilateral diplomacy.

- Romans (Caesar), India (Gandhi), English (Queen Elizabeth), Mongols (Genghis Khan), France (Napoleon), Japan (Oda) all confirmed as Civs (Leaders).

- When you conquer a city you can form a Puppet-State. "The addition of puppet states is going to mitigate the tedium. Whenever you conquer a new city, you can choose for it to become a puppet state. This means that you reap the benefits of its research, culture and gold but don't get a say in what it produces."

- The interface will not change to reflect time period or Civ.

- The map will be split into regions, and each regions terrain graphics will differ subtly. EG: Savannah plains will look slightly different to Steppe plains.

- Forests will range from tropical to wintry pines.

- Caesar speaks in Latin, Oda speaks in medieval Japanese.

- Because of the resources and time to make one leader, only one leader per Civ.

- Leaders have flavours instead of traits.

- Genghis Khan more likely to attack when provoked. Queen Elizabeth will try to capture ports and build a powerful navy. Gandhi is a peace-nik, but if the only way to win is to nuke your capital he will probably do it FTW.

- There are currently 25 leader flavours.

- The author hinted at a hands-on play preview coming soon.

Edited by Dale

Montie looks cool. :D

- The interface will not change to reflect time period or Civ.

Are they talking about the gamescreen interface, or artstyle depiction according to the "era" a civ is in (like cities/units in Civ4)?

Edited by GeoModder

Specifically interface (those couple of sentences were discussing the art-deco look of the buttons and info boxes on screen that we saw in the photo of Dennis) not city/unit/etc. :)

Does flavours do anything to human players? If not, just traits are gone.

So what does it mean that there are 25 flavors but only 18 civs and leaders? Do some civs have more than one flavor? With 25 to choose form for 18 civs, they must have 2 or 3 each. Or are there really 25 civs? Or do they mean 25 flavor combinations? Gosh.

I hope they provide a translation for the Japanese and Latin speaks. Otherwise diplomacy could get very random. :D

Although, it's a nice touch, an idea I had myself while playing civ3, as it seemed obscure how civilizations ever so non-English spoke to me in just that.

A little detail on just exactly how and where they speak their native languages would certainly be nice.

I reckon during diplomacy you'll hear AI leaders speak their native tongue, while you can read the translation below their (animated) picture.

I just hope what they say actually means what is translated, that it isn't some random stuff :p

Oh, AFAIK Firaxis didn't put "just some random stuff" in the unit voiceovers in CIV. So I reckon they'll be good with CiV too.

So what does it mean that there are 25 flavors but only 18 civs and leaders? Do some civs have more than one flavor? With 25 to choose form for 18 civs, they must have 2 or 3 each. Or are there really 25 civs? Or do they mean 25 flavor combinations? Gosh.

It means each leader has more than one flavor OR that leaders and civ can have similar bonuses.

It means each leader has more than one flavor OR that leaders and civ can have similar bonuses.

I get the first part... not sure what you mean by the second. How do 25 flavors and 18 civs yield "that leaders and civ can have similar bonuses?" :confused:

It's 25 categories ranging from 0 to 10 most probably !

So, a particular leader can be 7 - 3 - 4 - 8 - ... and another 2 - 6 - 7 - 5 - ...

It's 25 categories ranging from 0 to 10 most probably !

So, a particular leader can be 7 - 3 - 4 - 8 - ... and another 2 - 6 - 7 - 5 - ...

Don't forget the mentioned random element.

So the leader who is:

7 - 3 - 4 - 8 -

could next game be:

5 - 3 - 6 - 8

or

5 - 1 - 2 - 6

or any number of combinations!

Should certainly prevent Montyitus!! :rockon:

If I recall the quoted text, a leader could be between +2 to -2 from their default flavour value.

If I recall the quoted text, a leader could be between +2 to -2 from their default flavour value.

I heard this also. I hope the explain this concept a bit more in future.

I have a question about it. What happens if you play as Elizabeth and wind up boxed in - landlocked in a Pangaea? Or, I guess you could ask - what would the AI do in that case?

As explained by the devs elsewhere, if they can't run their standard AI program, or it is too impractical, then it will figure out something else to do.

Elizabeth will rush an expansion until she reach the shore and, then, will shift to her natural behaviour !

It's explicitly written in 1 of the articles.

units instantly transform into makeshift floating transports.

It's getting uncanny how much similarity there is between Civ5 and Planetfall. :scared:

It's getting uncanny how much similarity there is between Civ5 and Planetfall. :scared:

Oh, you didn't notice JS browsing around the mod forum last year? ;)

Guess that's a side-effect of your "Ghost" status on CFC. :p

Ozzie Civ V exclusive? Did 2k pull an EA and release the mofo early?

Australia seems to get Firaxis releases early all the time. We got Civ4 vanilla, BtS and Civ4 Col a day before anyone else. And we scored Spore 4 days before anyone! :p

But the Aussie exclusive bit means the exclusive preview for Australia (not global).