Related Threads:

Morgan Energy Exchange

Updated Financial Summary for the years of:

Old Financial System

MY2111-2119

New Financial System with Private Reserves

MY2124 Financial Report

MY2125 Financial Report

An explanation of how the financial accounting of company incomes in this Democracy Game is being done:

The following is based on an outdated model, that does not include transfers of energy credits between companies as ways of compensating for unequal research contributions from company bases.

The financial system I proposed has not had any real influence on decision making so far. This system attempts to govern the distribution of the faction's Energy Credits among Base Governors. The goal is to use the system to decide which governor should get the funding to rush a base improvement with the faction's treasury, and which should be denied. It bases such decisions not on faction-wide strategic thinking, but on agreements between governors and the history of their energy credit usage and contribution.

It can be summed up as:

Every governor has a bank savings account. The governor places his base's income into that account automatically every Turn in the form of Energy Credits (EC).

However Governors can also go into debt by spending more than their savings. We do so by taking EC stored under the names of those that save and give these EC to those who spend beyond their means. Of course those with savings don't have access to their EC because we cannot back up their balances with actual Energy Credits, we gave those away to the spenders! (using gold bars instead of EC would be easier to visualize, we actually give away physical EC when spenders rush their base improvements) So we will charge interest on loans and as compensation transfer some of that interest to the balances of the savers. This allows the savers to grow their wealth and it will be truly reflected when eventually their balances can be matched with Energy Credits stored in the Faction's Treasury.

But here's the twist. Remember those 110 EC that we started out with in MY2101? How did we decide who they belong to? We pretty much gave it away to a non-player entity called "The Corporation" So effectively all the base Governors have been borrowing and using the energy credits owned by The Corporation. That means that the Corporation has been earning interest on this debt and the Corporation will end up claiming a lot of the base income that trickles into the Faction's Treasury over the next couple of decades. Much like a credit card company will do if you don't pay off your balance right away.

Here's a look at the Energy Grid Balances of the Morgan Faction. For the sake of simplicity, we have not charged interest on any outstanding balances, nor rewarded the savers for not withdrawing their Energy Credits from the Morganic Energy Grid.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=533

You can see that all the bases owe money to Morgan Industries Corp by the end of 2110.

Morgan Industries Corp is basically the Corporation that controls the Energy Grid and is probably headed by CEO Morgan. It should not be confused with Morgan Industries which is the starting base.

The total number of Energy Credits in the Faction's Treasury is only 11 EC by the end of 2010. So the energy balance of 153 EC that Morgan Industries Corp has is mostly in the form debt that base governors owe them. This energy doesn't actually physically exist in the Faction's Treasury by the end of 2110 as it has been spent on base improvements and rushing terraformers.

The year of 2110 was an intense year of deficit spending for the governors of Morgan Industries and Morgan Interstellar as they both rushed the production of recycling tanks at a cost of 60 EC each.

The screenshot of the spreadsheet doesn't show contributions to base energy balances from base incomes. Effectively it only shows governor spending and the final balances of each base in the "Reserve Changes by Base/Corporation". This section also keeps track of any external contributions to the Treasury from events like exploration, where the faction gains energy by popping a UNITY pod. You can see that in the years of 2101 and 2106, exploration added 25 EC during each of those years.

The section titled "Energy Reserve Changes" simply keeps track of changes in accounts due to transfers of EC either due to withdrawal from the Treasury as in the case of hurrying production, or due to contributions to the Treasury from popping pods and killing mindworms during exploration. Positive numbers indicate overall contributions to the Treasury, while negative values show overall withdrawal from the Treasury.

Attached below is the Spreadsheet I used to keep track of Morgan energy finances throughout the game, it contains all the accounting information.

2113eMorganFinancesComplete_v101.zip is the most recent Spreadsheet that includes interest accumulations and probably has the least number of potential formula errors.

MorganFinancesMY2101-2110end.zip is the simplest spreadsheet and does not have interest calculations. It has been used to make the screenshot in this post.

Edited by Dolgorukov

Great! I have a base with only -14 EC balance. Though no recycling tanks in it... :(

Shall we get any grants from Morgan Industries Corp?

This is actually quite generous system. Apart from starting money, some income from energy stockpile (it is here still) and random events, the corporation took no other income. Bases take all EC they generate. I think it is good for now.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=534

Morgan Industries is doing some heavy energy lifting at the start of this year in 2111 with the new energy stockpiling program in effect, boosting overall base income by 150% as compared to last year.

Looks like I'll need to start earning some energy. -69 for Morgan Interstellar!

Look at what would happen if we have the Morgan Industries Corp charge 5% annual interest on outstanding base balances at the end of the year. They'd also pay Governors something like 1% to any positive balances. The CEO of Morgan Industries Corp could adjust the interest rates.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=536

I'm guessing the best way to make money is improve income by spawning bases like there is no tomorrow.

Maybe-but how about lowering the interest rate on debts from 5% to 3%? Morgan Interstellar would be hard pressed to ever get out of debt (or to produce anything) if the Governor is paying 3-4 energy per turn to simply service the debt.

It is getting more and more complex, but I think, that some form of benefits for all things that a base contributes to faction is needed.

So we could go "very simple" route or "detailed" route. Let me explain.

Some bases will be better at producing minerals, while other will generate more energy. With simple model, bases would not have worry much about what they actually do, as long as anything they do will not put them at large disadvantage. E.g. more distribution model, that would be simple would benefit bases making more minerals, so their governors are not worried with negative balances, that would bankrupt them. Simple model would probably have no borrowing interest rates.

With detailed system, bases could get benefits for most of the things they do;

- built units would be sold to faction (some price determined). those units that base would not consider theirs, like military.

- upkeep would be paid by faction (1 mineral = 2 EC, for example) so base good with minerals would make for poor energy generation.

- facilities would be paid by bases, however:

- research points would be paid by faction to bases. Reasons is, why to upkeep this fusion lab, if base has no benefits from it.

... this would be pretty complex

Bases and tiles make:

- nutrients

- minerals

- energy -> (split into and modified with multipliers)

--- EC

--- Lab points

--- Psych points

nutrients directly contribute to a base in question, so apart from cases, when a crawler redirects a nutrient elsewhere, we would not need to consider them financially. Satellites would be dealt later.

minerals do count - there is some choice if to bring more energy or more minerals. If we neglect importance of production, governors would choose energy over minerals. I would say: pay for units and consumed by factional units minerals. Though faction would not have to buy units that were not wanted, e.g. faction asks bases to make 10 laser infantry, and this much it buys from bases, but governors cannot make 15 infantry and expect faction to pay for it. Facilities would be different. Some of them bring multiplications, so bases want to invest in that, so they generate more.

EC - it is directly our currency.

Lab points. - How about factional wealth is increased each turn by number of accumulated lab points? Reason is to pay bases for theese, so they actually want to contribute to research, not that we make a scapegoat base: "you do the labs... :doitnow!:" :D some more details needs still to be worked out.

Psych - could go without financial consideration, similarly like nutriets. Why bases want these, like recreaction commons? In order to have no drones, but efficient workers.

I think we should keep the economics simple-even if we are playing the Morganites. Is there a standard weighting of all 3 'production' items of nutrients, minerals, and energy? For example, 2 E=1N=1M. (Probably should have more importance weighted to minerals over the other 2).

Let's look at the simple model

I was thinking that faction energy allocations would be controlled by the governors. The strength of their vote being proportional to the population of the base. This means that the faction is actually run by a civilian government. The Corporation simply has a monopoly over the energy grid infrastructure, and it seems that the governors have borrowed money from the corporate bigwigs early after planetfall. So all the public debt is financed by private assets.

All military units should be controlled by a centralized civilian government. We could make an exception for the independent units we got early on in the game, they can be property of Morgan Industries Corp, so that anything they pop in terms of Energy Credits while exploring should go to the Corporation.

A base governor may want to build and maintain Network Nodes after all because, as part of the central government, this governor may have interest in new technologies. Or the base governor may be cooperating with a centralized strategy agreed on by all the governors through a council vote.

If we neglect importance of production, governors would choose energy over minerals

I'm not sure, the best way to make money is to spawn more bases. Let's just stick with the philosophy that anything a base produces is property of that base. So governors will quickly become multi-base commanders, and so even if they have a huge debt to the corporation in one of their bases, the other bases under that same governor could rescue the situation as the energy assets of the bases are combined.

I'm not sure, the best way to make money is to spawn more bases. Let's just stick with the philosophy that anything a base produces is property of that base. So governors will quickly become multi-base commanders, and so even if they have a huge debt to the corporation in one of their bases, the other bases under that same governor could rescue the situation as the energy assets of the bases are combined.

Yes, that sounds better, and we would actually consider regions here. With certain number of players wanting to be governors lower than number of bases, that would work.

A military could be different for one reason - it is prone for losses. If we go model of private (owned by bases) then we would find ourselves bargaining over who goes first into most dangerous actions. etc.

Also some players would prefer other than governors roles, e.g. planning military actions, probe team actions. They might have more freedom of using whatever faction has available. So formers (domestic formers - some may have military use) and base garrisons, police, etc. might stay private (governors). Military, probe teams might be commanded by faction.

And if number of players allows, we could have separate navy, airforce, land forces, etc.

I would think that probe teams would be Corporate level units since stealing and defending our techs is a task for the entire organization. Perhaps most civilian and military units are 'owned' by each individual governor.

I'm convinced that our faction should be owned and controlled by a decentralized civilian government composed of governors.

The only thing that the corporation owns is the Energy Grid, some independent units, and assets it has in terms of Energy Credits as well as Loans to different Base Governors.

Also remember this:

anything a base produces is property of that base.

So it will be the function of the government, backed by base governors, to protect the entire faction and to manage probe units.

These 2% and 1% look good. I think, I would be for these values. If needed, we can later change them. For now, we would continue like this, we can work on more details, as we play.

I was thinking that there should be a rule like the Corporation is allowed to hike up Base Borrowing Interest Rates only 1% every 10 years. They can decrease interest rates as they wish.

Here is yet another proposal for the way to handle finances in our game. I think this one you guys will like most of all. There is no Morgan Industries Corp. And all the starting energy credits at the start of the game are equally distributed among base governors. Any energy gained by popping pods with independent units is also equally distributed among base governors.

In 2110 the governors of Morgan Industries and Morgan Interstellar rushed recycling tanks. The price tag exceeded the energy reserves of the governors, so they issued bonds to the other two governors in Morgan Transport and Morgan Mines. Under this system base governors will be in debt to one another rather than some ominous corporation I described in earlier posts.

I foresee governors negotiating the interest rates of future loans. It could make for interesting play.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=545

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=546

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=547

MorganFinancesMY2112start.zip

I've noticed something strange, the pictures of excel sheets posted by me earlier are not displaying anymore. The images were linked from a WPC album under my profile.

You don't have a pubic album. Only you and Ross (and staff types) should be able to see your album-linked pictures. I can't imagine why you can't see it anymore, though. Experiencing some self-loathing, perhaps?

Try making a non-private album and link pics from it...

Well the picture from Post #20 is from the same album, which by the way has been "public".

I did modify my privacy settings to allow everyone to see my albums instead of just "friends," but somehow that did not fix anything, nor was it a problem I would suspect.

Beats me, but I can see the charts now, and two albums in your profile that I couldn't yesterday. I haven't looked at the pictures.

alright thanks BU, the two albums you can see were actually intended to be public