Arcainite

The 'Copter thread

36 posts in this topic

Industry ratings affect the number of minerals in each row, AFAIK. Not sure how that affects actual price of things.

Something that costs 10 would cost 9 if it is +1 industry, if it is -2 industry it would be 12. Basically industry subtracts 10% for each positive level and adds 10% for each negative level.

I was at 0 industry I believe at the time of the screen shot. If chuft had -2 industry it would equal 60 this is the only thing I can think of for the price difference, unless there is something edited in one of his or my text files that is causing the discrepancy. I have not messed with any cost modifiers though so I doubt it would be on my end.

I just confirmed my theory. I switched to power SE for -2 industry.

24329087.jpg

I also started a game with Consciousness to test the landing gear thing, which I was also correct on. I activated the scenario editor and gave myself all the techs and went to workshop and her landing gear is a bluish purple color. So It seems that different factions may have slightly different colors for some units.

Edited by Imagine A Cool Name

Tried to start a new game to test it. As usual when I start on a huge planet in the hopes of a long game, it put me 10 squares away from a momentum faction. :cringe:

I usually have to restart five or six times before I get a decent game going.

You could try playing the game like I do against AI's. I don't use any needle jets, copters, or drop pods. I think all 3 give too much of an advantage over the AI's. I also don't use crawlers for the same reason. The GOTM for march I think it was, was the first game I used crawlers in in many years.

That way it still allows the AI's to use needlejets. This makes for a very different type of game, which you need to make use of various unit and special ability combinations to actually get a decent push going against a well defended AI.

I usually don't use crawlers except to help build secret projects, and rarely to harvest some borehole in the middle of nowhere. Air units are fun, I don't want them out of the game, I just want them toned down.

I do tend to use them, usually because the outcome of the game is often clear and using air just speeds up the inevitable outcome.

For the most interesting games, play on a huge world, build a nicely terraformed empire with lots of research, and then right before you start WWIII, give all your tech to all the AI empires. You'll get a hell of a fight.

A copter question.

If a copter from Faction A crash-lands at the end of its turn (but is still alive) and Faction B wants to attack it, what is the best weapon: interceptor or penetrator?

Is the copter considered as landed (and thus easy prey to a penetrator) or as a flying unit (requiring an interceptor)?

Interceptors get the 100% bonus for air to air attack and the copter still uses its armor to defend. That would probably be the best choice in terms of attack odds. However you can attack it with anything you want, no SAM ability required for ground or naval units to attack it. If for some random reason you want to blast it with artillery though, you need to have an artillery unit with the SAM ability. I think this applies to ships too for long range fire.

Cost Calculation differs for land, air or sea units.