Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rhoth

Random Thoughts Thread

637 posts in this topic

The closest equivalent is the non-North American Countries and the world cup of soccer (football to them).

The entire country is now celebrating. Yonge Street in Toronto is a mass of people, as is Vancouver where the Olympics are being held.

:)

We have a nice bottle of wine ready, and some filet mignon steaks for the barbie. :b: Life is good.

Congrats on the gold, and the highest number of golds. We'll take our highest number of medals in our winter Olympic history. :D

Congrats on the gold, and the highest number of golds. We'll take our highest number of medals in our winter Olympic history. :D

Yep - the US had an amazing Olympics. :nod:

And yes, I am in love with Lindsey Vonn.

I wanted to see Canada self-destruct if they lost. :(

(and it would have likely gotten ugly)

I wanted to see Canada self-destruct if they lost. :(

Why would you want that. :(

(and it would have likely gotten ugly)

Nope. Not our style. There would have been silence.

The only times things get ugly up here is when individual cities win sporting events. And that is usually just a matter of a small minority taking the celebration over the edge.

Why would you want that. :(

I enjoy destruction, I also enjoy studying mob mentality.

Nope. Not our style. There would have been silence.

1994. Riot over a loss.

The only times things get ugly up here is when individual cities win sporting events. And that is usually just a matter of a small minority taking the celebration over the edge.

1994. 50,000 + is hard to call a small minority.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Il3UlV2ars]YouTube- Stanley Cup Riot In Vancouver - 1994[/ame]

Um I guess I am in the minority then, I love Hockey.

Keith Magnuson of Chicago Blackhawks fame back in the 70's. That guy was in the penalty box more then he was on the ice. :) Gotta love a guy like that :lol:

But ya Football is way bigger in the States. In the extreme north Hockey has a pretty solid hold. Minnesota and North Dakota, as well as Northern Michigan have a large hockey fanbase, and most of the colleges in that area, have very strong hockey programs and weak football. My alma mater Michigan Tech was that way. When I went to a sporting event at College it was Hockey............

We were kicked out of attending our Highschool hockey team's matches, as they were little more than an excuse to fight...

Keith Magnuson of Chicago Blackhawks fame back in the 70's. That guy was in the penalty box more then he was on the ice. :) Gotta love a guy like that :lol:

They had a great team back then. Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull and Glenn Hall in nets. :b:

Unfortunately Montreal had an even stronger team. :q:

I am not a Montreal fan. I felt for Chicago during a few Stanley Cups back then.

Ya Montreal was pretty dam tough back in those days. Mikita and Hull were also extremely good as well as the Esposito brothers, but I just loved to watch Magnuson stir it up :b:

What a day so far. Spent 3 hours over lunch trying to sell my parents-in-law on a retirement home here in town. My wife is concerned as we are going away for 3 weeks later this month, and she worries about them - as well she should. The good news is, we were successful. My mother-in-law is 84 and my father-in-law 94. It wasn't much work selling my mother-in-law. She does all the cooking, dishwashing, laundry, etc. My father-in-law, oblivious to the amount of care he really does need, sees no reason to move from their apartment. But for now, he has agreed to go.

The retirement home is really high end. Beautiful new place with views of the St. Lawrence. Looks like a five-star hotel. We had lunch there and it was great. Doing a pile of paperwork tonight and hoping no one changes their mind.

Went from there to a funeral home for a visitation. A good friend who I go dog walking with - his brother died of pancreatic cancer on Sunday. Age 54. As my friend Gary said, the good thing is that his brother died before the U.S. tied up the hockey game.

I haven't honestly felt this good about a demogame in years.

A bunch of thanks to Rhoth and harovan thus far who seem to be doing most of the heavy lifting. :)

Rhoth don't burn yourself out d00d, I want you in for the long run this game...........

A bunch of thanks to Rhoth and harovan thus far who seem to be doing most of the heavy lifting. :)

:nod: :clapper:

Rhoth don't burn yourself out d00d, I want you in for the long run this game...........

Yah. Don't pull an E_T on us. :(

I haven't honestly felt this good about a demogame in years.

It's probably just your meds.

It's probably just your meds.

Nah, Ive been off the anti psychotics for a couple of years.

The annoying eye tick is back but I just deal with it.

Thanks guys.

I feel pretty good about this game so far too; despite our backs to the wall start we've responded well. And the Swine look like they don't believe we'll attack which is all the better for us. If they remain like that they'll be eliminated from the game on turn 33 and we'll have a second city. Even if they do get out several more warriors they can't match us when we're in control of their land.

And don't worry I'm not burning out anytime soon. I'm having a lot of fun with the demographics C&D and projecting what each team will do and when. I find it kind of amusing that with how long Civ4 has been out it's only now that Civ5 has been announced that I'm learning how to do this stuff. Not that I would do all this in a SP game anyway.

I have to admit, I'm also pretty jazzed by the level of activity in this team. I've been on some teams where barely half of the members were actively reading the info and posting their thoughts 5 turns into the game.

I have to admit, I'm also pretty jazzed by the level of activity in this team. I've been on some teams where barely half of the members were actively reading the info and posting their thoughts 5 turns into the game.

I think the credit should go to the team captain who put this group together. :cute:

But seriously, I agree. :b: I think it is a reflection of the team members, as well as a healthy pace to the game.

Andydog is the only one who has not been active, but I know he is busy. He may become more active in the future.

Yep, we seem to have an active and interested group here. Hopefully we can sustain that after the Swine are no more and we head into building mode.

Yep, we seem to have an active and interested group here. Hopefully we can sustain that after the Swine are no more and we head into building mode.

Well, we'll probably lose con then. :)

Booting them out on turn 33 would be an incredible boon to our team. Not only would we get a free city and likely a free worker, but we'd own the city that basically controls our peninsula. We'd have lots of time and room to peacefully expand our nation into the top spot before the next war. Unfortunately "buildering" can be boring for some. ;)

BTW, that doesn't mean I don't want to settle the copper city next if we do kick the Swine out without axes. That city can be our unit pump for a long time.

Well, we'll probably lose con then. :)

And me. :p

(logical course of events would be to dogpile one of the two remaining human teams ASAP, however.)

Well, we will need to build up a bit in order to sustain a war with a nation as far away as the Vikings (and one that already has copper in their radius). By the time we could get a significant force of axes over there they would be well prepared for us with axes of their own. I think we'll need catapults, and maybe even macemen and crossbows before we stand a decent shot against the Vikings.

We need an economy, and once we take out the Swine we'll be well set up to build one. :D If we can "out-economic" the financial teams then war will follow...one we'll win in the same fashion we're going to win the upcoming war against the Swine.

Waiting till catapults I can live with.

Waiting till cannons, you'll have to remind me this game is still going.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0