Mart

Stockpile Energy Bug Rule

Stockpile Energy Bug   9 members have voted

1. 1. Stockpile Energy Bug

• Inserting stockpile energy to queue [b]is[/b] allowed.
    • Inserting stockpile energy to queue [b]is not[/b] allowed
    • Inserting broccoli is dangerous.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

SMAX patched exe does not have fixed energy stockpile bug. So regardless of which exe one uses, the additional energy can be gathered.

We can change current rule G-11. Please vote, what is your preference.

-----------------

Edit:

Stockpile Energy Bug is explained in SMAC Academy in items 44 and 45.

http://www.civgaming.net/smac/acad_buglist.shtml

44. If a base completes construction of a facility or secret project and its build queue is empty, then for that turn the base will accumulate energy as if production had been set to stockpile energy in addition to accumulating the usual amount of minerals.

45. If a base completes construction of a unit and its build queue contains stockpile energy as the next item to build, then for that turn the base will accumulate energy as if production had been set to stockpile energy in addition to accumulating the usual amount of minerals.

Edited by Mart

@ Mart

For the sake of the new SMAC players, you may want to describe what the stockpile energy bug is and why it is typically not permitted. I checked it online prior to voting.

I'd vote for banning the stockpile energy exploit.

Here, we're trying to play a fair game against the AI, with all humans collaborating. In this context, the exploit makes the game far less of a challenge. Furthermore, we can very effectively police this rule because only a few users are allowed to legitimately "end turn" for the game.

In a multi-human competitive game, enforcement is much harder and it is expected that each human's main competitor will be... other humans! So in that context it might be an acceptable exploit provided that everybody can use it.

People often allow the bug to be used, so I don't know.

I don't like it cause it is increasing micromanagement and makes the queue useless when using the bug.

On the other hand, in multiplayer it is often allowed.

In singleplayer we could prohibit it, although some people are so much used to it, that they subconsciously insert stocpile into the queue after the unit.

-------

And I voted against using it.

I think for this to be fun, we need to put some reasonable limits on ourselves to have a little bit of challenge to it. We can't fix the AI, so-

What's the crawling rule/policy?

What's the crawling rule/policy?

There is/was usually a rule prohibiting upgrading crawlers, since it was cheating on energy amount to hurry a Secret Project. E.g. you build regular crawler for 3 rows, then you upgrade it for some amount to a crawler costing more than 3 rows. Now, the SP are for 4 EC/mineral. The thing is upgraded rows cost less (40 EC in regular row length).

I think I can say this, and this will not be revealing too much about the game:

AIs will build crawlers. At one time (in one of the tests) I have seen one faction having 6 of them.

On the other hand, in multiplayer it is often allowed.

In singleplayer we could prohibit it, although some people are so much used to it, that they subconsciously insert stocpile into the queue after the unit.

Indeed, that's my excuse suggesting it in the first place. But I see the point of not allowing in SP DG. So I vote not to allow it, although in the poll I couldn't resist the broccoli choice :D

I think for this to be fun' date=' we need to put some reasonable limits on ourselves to have a little bit of challenge to it. We can't fix the AI, so-

What's the crawling rule/policy?[/quote']

Now that's material for another poll, I guess. Although we can apply the same logic and not use any "trick" to gain advantage of the poor AI.

(ninja'd)

So we can crawl, just not use the exploit. Perhaps we might consider limiting crawling itself in some way?

On the other hand, I've always said we should shoot for a quick game...