Mart

MY 2101 - 2110

288 posts in this topic

... I just tried to make that move in to save and it happened to give me energy resource there on the river, since it is low elevation, it makes a mighty good base location river+energy resource.

- maybe no moves, except turnplayer... :)

Nothing happened, but let us not make alternative moves.

-------------

What we could do, is build a simulator save for this kind of stuff.

I guess we will wait for Vishniac to return at this point. He may be around soon.

We pretty much have everything figured out to go to the 2102.

Edited thread name to:

MY 2101 - 2105

We can fit 5 turns in this thread.

- maybe no moves, except turnplayer... :)

Nothing happened, but let us not make alternative moves.

-------------

What we could do, is build a simulator save for this kind of stuff.

I didn't mean to suggest to use what I did -- didn't even save it anyways. I was just bringing up the possibility that this might happen in the turn-players case as well and that is something to consider for discussion.

In general, these kind of situations can happen in any turn. How is that handled in a DG ? There are decisions to be made during the turn that cannot be discussed upfront because they arise out of an event such as what is popped from the pod.

Maybe the turn player should pop the pods, save it and tell us / show us what is the situation and allow another round of discussion ? Or would that make it too slow ?

Sorry for these questions, I'm a noob to DG and would like to understand the mechanism better.

In general, these kind of situations can happen in any turn. How is that handled in a DG ? There are decisions to be made during the turn that cannot be discussed upfront because they arise out of an event such as what is popped from the pod.

There are numerous cases like that. Later in the game when there will be many units to move, one possibly cannot rely on voting on everything. The turnplayer would receive a set of directives on "how to proceed" and from it and also from his/her experience would make immediate decisions. Only in important cases, when judging that such quick decision is too important, a midsave (middle of the turn) save file would be made and question posted for discussion.

Unity pods are tricky, imagine, that you pop the same pod for testing it only (alternative playing) and three times you get mindworms. Such kind of knowledge will effect your decision. They are supposed to be random, but often some outcomes are not that random. However, they are supposed to be random for players even in such cases. We may have only general knowledge, e.g. what they say about it in the manual, but it cannot be playing alternative moves.

Unit moves - e.g. when trying (testing outcomes) a unity scout chopper can fly 8 tiles, and let's say someone flies to the north uncovering a lot of new tiles (exploring). Then the decision in forum discussion is made to fly south. And then it turns out that the person who tried alternative play has knowledge on a lot of terrain to the north that he/she should not posses, even for many turns in the future, cause noone wants to explore there immediately. And there may be some crucial info in the north, e.g. AI transport with shard marines... That would damage fun of play.

Maybe the turn player should pop the pods, save it and tell us / show us what is the situation and allow another round of discussion ? Or would that make it too slow ?

In some cases, as I wrote above, turnplayer would make midsaves. In most less important cases decisions would be left to him/her.

Sorry for these questions, I'm a noob to DG and would like to understand the mechanism better.

These are in fact one of the most difficult issues in a DG. Smac was not designed to be played like that, it would probably be too complicated to code and also design, imho.

"Reporting for duty, CEO!"

Ok, do you want me to proceed with 2101 accordingly to this thread's directives and post the save before I push "End Turn" ?

And about the simulator, I remember the Spartans had one in ACDG3. We should ask Maniac.

Ok!

Here are the news:

- Scout 1 popped a Unity rover. Then I sent both to the monolith for upgrades: scout is now disciplined and rover is hardened.

- Scout 2 popped a sum of 25EC. I let him there, didn't want to disturb fungus while bases are undefended and scout isn't at 100% attack power.

- Scouts 3 and 4 are given destinations but will reach them next turn.

Here are the relevant numbers: can someone make them into a board, so we have a template to use everytime, a report form?

- Research: centaury Ecology (2/2) (<---means 2 turns remaining out a total of 2 turns/tech)

- Economy: 135 (+7) (<---means we have 135 EC and get +7/turn)

Energy allocation: 50/0/50 (<---means Economy/Psych/Labs)

Bases (counter-clockwise):

- Morgan Industries: 2-3-6 (<--- means nutrients/minerals/energy) / Scout patrol (1) (<---means turns to completion)

- Morgan Mines: 2-2-3 or 2-1-4 (I left it at 2-2-3) / Scout (1)

- Morgan Transport: 2-2-4 / Scout patrol (1)

- Morgan Interstellar: 1-2-2 or 0-4-2 (I left it at 1-2-2) / Scout patrol (1)

So, if you want to change citizen allocation for bases 2 and 4, you still can.

(Took me a little time because was the first time and some hysterical woman called me to talk 40 min about nothing...:mad:)

wpc-smac-dg-2101-pre-end.SAV

Morgan DG 2101 pre-end.jpg

And we are underway. :woohoo:

-Need to do something about that faction graphics bug for screeny purposes...

Ah, yes I didn't noticed. I'm so accustomed to play my PBEM with any graphics...

It seems even opening first a game with the correct setup doesn't work anymore. Makes me mad to play Battle royale with PKs graphics!! :mad::mad:

And we are underway. :woohoo:

There are 2 ways' date=' fast:

1) Start smacx -> new game -> ... till you have choice of factions, click the images of the original 7 on the left, this is how it is setup. Game starts -> quit after that, your ini file is now updated with correct set.

[b']Or[/b]:

2) Modify Alpha Centauri.ini file.

Faction 1=GAIANS

Faction 2=HIVE

Faction 3=UNIV

Faction 4=MORGAN

Faction 5=SPARTANS

Faction 6=BELIEVE

Faction 7=PEACE

You have to start that new game as the Morgans, naturally, and because you juggle a lot of MP games, of course you need to make a "correct order save" to load and exit before you play DG turns. That .ini fix would get borked the first time you played something else. You ought to do that for all your games...

Take a look at Iniswap 2. I wrote that several years ago.

There is version 2 for download. How to use it is in the first post.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127151

If you scroll down to post #10, PjayTycy writes how to achieve a similar effect with simple bat file. But you need a little bit more file copying yourself.

I do not see anything more to do in pre-end save. I think we can get 2102 done.

I believe also, the excel file needs to be setup a bit differently. It looks like flag "traded techs" should be checked to give correct set. We have Inf. Networks in the choices not Social Psych.

Let me see, what will be available when we get Centauri Ecology.

-----

I get only:

- Doc Mobility

- Inf. Networks

- Social Psych

Let me see, what will be available when we get Centauri Ecology.

-----

I get only:

- Doc Mobility

- Inf. Networks

- Social Psych

A quick test at SMAX/Transcend gives the following choices after we get centauri Ecology:

- Doctrine Mobility

- Progenitor Psych

- Biogenetics

- Information Networks

- Industrial Economics

- Applied Physics

And that test didn't solved the graphics bug for the DG save. I'd say I'm doomed.

Otherwise, barring any objection that could happen while I play quickly a PBEM, I shall end-turn and post the save here.

You know, now I think, multiplayer choices may be different than singleplayer, that's why it does not work using the excel file.

From looking at the save-we need to scout to the north. It looks like we are on a pretty large continent and I would assume that there is at least one other faction (if not 2 or more) on this continent.

Scout North w/ rover and wait for backup to send someone to checkout the direction of the Ruins?

Scout North w/ rover and wait for backup to send someone to checkout the direction of the Ruins?

As backup, there are already 3 scouts exploring. It should be more than enough for the moment.

Otherwise, yes, the continent is pretty big and is in 3 parts: ours, another just above with 2-tile-isthmus (see picture) that we can easily fortify, and the third one above connected by 2 thin isthmuses. There can indeed be nasty surprises up there.

Otherwise, here is Turn 2102. Nothing special happened after End Turn and I didn't touch anything (the scouts walking to objectives in exemple).

wpc-smac-dg-2102-start.SAV

Morgan DG 2101 upper view.jpg

I think we should send the scout patrols from Morgan Industries and Morgan Interstallar to the South East to explore, the other two scout patrols and the rover should head north to explore.

Move the rover first, if we find another monolith in the north then there's no need to detour to the ones in the centre, otherwise we should probably use those before we send off the two scout patrols north.

I vote switch base production to stockpile energy while we wait for Centauri Ecology for formers.

After we get formers, one former/base...

Agreed about the formers.

It has been my usual habit over the years to explore a lot early in the vicinity of the bade and let my headquarters take its chance; I've rarely regretted it. However, I'm usually playing Gaians and trying to find worms to capture. My opinions are going to be skewed by my deep-set habits. I was trying to compensate...

Explore, yes; also go for the first wave of expansion, soonest practical.

I don't often guard my bases early in the game, either. We could use the extra scouts to hunt 'worms near the bases.

Questions/Suggestions/Actions:

I think we should send the scout patrols from Morgan Industries and Morgan Interstallar to the South East to explore, the other two scout patrols and the rover should head north to explore.

Move the rover first, if we find another monolith in the north then there's no need to detour to the ones in the centre, otherwise we should probably use those before we send off the two scout patrols north.

Shouldn't we send SE the scouts 3 and 4, the one from Morgan Industries is already enhanced and is ready to go north?

Also, do you want to send Scout 2 on the river fungus first or direct north to isthmus?

I vote switch base production to stockpile energy while we wait for Centauri Ecology for formers.
We have 1 turn to wait. What I usually do is put something in the queue to accumulate minerals (can be anything, even Merchant Exchange) and transfer them next turn to former. I consider a waste to rush before the first 10 minerals so it would hasten construction.

And I think I'll change my ini files manually...if you could tell me where to find them. (can't see them)

Root directory. I can't speak to possible Vista differences, but the filname is "Alpha Centauri.ini" -opens in Notepad. To open WITH Notepad, you need to select Files of type:>All Files at the bottom of your Open box or it will only show you the .txt files as the default.