Mart

MY 2101 - 2110

288 posts in this topic

chironcplanded.jpg

Chiron, MY 2101.

Morganic Unity escape pods land on Chiron. They are scattered, but thanks to good commlink systems they do not loose communication.

Please follow the rules presented in the introduction thread:

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=79960&postcount=2

You can still discuss them.

Especially, do not play the game - do not push end turn button; do not enable scenario editor; and do not move any units - this will be for the turnplayer to do.

You can inspect visually map, check faction info screens, etc.

Discussion on the landing site location from released earlier screenie is here:

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2483

The WPC SMAC Democracy Game has started!

wpc-smac-dg-2101-start.zip

And I will continue with discussion.

- We will need to decide for specific units what to do. So far, in the landing thread we have general proposals.

There are 4 cp and 4 scouts. Not much to decide, but our first decisions may be very important and placement of the first 4 bases can mean a lot in long run.

Edit: Adding the starting position screenie.

wpcsmacdg01start01.jpg

- Another thing is choosing the first tech. Using prepared excel worksheet, I checked what techs will be available for us, see attached image.

dg-techs-2101.jpg

Edited by Mart

I'm with popping the pods so I'm going to say move Scout 1, and 2 to the pods.

If pods are to be popped before bases are established in these locations, there is also possibility to do it with colony pods - along the river. Scouts could wait and possibly attack a mindworm with full strength if needed.

However, as far as I know, a unity pod popped in vicinity of a base has larger chance to give positive outcome, so I would say establish base or bases somewhere first.

I thought basing was a given. Is there anything wrong with the current positions?

Bases are not established. we can decide whether to establish them where colony pods are or move them.

I believe he's saying that the placement and spacing looks pretty good where the scouts are standing, so it seems like a gimme.

Base locations look good where the scouts are standing. I would build the 1st base inland for the capital location. Pop the pods with the scouts ASAP.

My input:

Pods popped next to bases do indeed seem to be nicer overall. Suggest making the NE colony pod our HQ base. THere are enough high-altitude squares to the SE within city range to bring in good energy, and the HQ usually makes the best use of that. Maybe if we move the NE CP one square SE along the river? It would then mean we have some non-monolith squares to solar panel later on. But it would also mean we have to pop a non-base pod...

So, build base with NE CP first, possibly with a one-square shift SE, then the others in quick succession at their locations. Scouts can go off to pop the two pods near the bases. We should also try rousing out a few mindworms from the fungus, as the early turn combat bonus would be on our side.

Techwise, I always pray for Centauri Ecology first. Formers are crucial in the early game.

How's our support like? Can we afford to send the entire first wave of scouts out to explore and build a second wave for garrison?

Edited by Alinestra Covelia

Breaking rule 1 already - rudeness to fellow players.

nbcman is wearing that suit because his pee is radioactive. :)

That is all.

@ Alinestra Covelia

Oh yeah, radioactive

Don't you stand...stand too close

You might catch it

Radioactive

Oh yeah

Radio radio radio radioactive

A message from the Firm

A screenie with annotations.

It looks like there is majority of votes that all cp can establish bases in 2101. In the order,

cp 1, then... any order.

Possibly, cp 1 can move SE as on the screenie, but I would check the tile in the save file.

after 2 bases, 2 unity pods get popped.

dg-2101-screen1a.jpg

Ali is right! I vote for :

1. stack#1: stepping 1 tile along the river SE with the CP to pop the pod next to the monolith and settle the HQ there.

2. stack#1: Move the scout NW (along river) and try N popping the other pod (may or may not work with 2/3 move).

3. stack#2 :Settle in-place with the 2nd CP at NW stack and move the scout NE to pop the pod.

4. stack#3: Settle in-place with the mid-west stack CP and move the scout NW along the river into fungus to explore that little corner of fog.

5. stack#4: From the S stack, settle the CP in-place, move the scout NE into river/fungus tile

6. Set all bases to make a scout,then put Stockpile Energy into the Queue. NOT ALLOWED

7. Choose Centauri Ecology first research.

Edited by zsozso

The tile is rocky - can't make a base over there.

dg-2101-screen2.jpg

Good, so that solves that problem then. My vote defaults to "NE CP founds base at current location, THEN scout patrol pops the pod".

Everything else stays the same in my suggestion.

Of course. I had thought it looked that way earlier, and then forgotten. Where it stands, then.

6. Set all bases to make a scout,then put Stockpile Energy into the Queue.

Players may have the patched terranx.exe, then stockpile bug does not work. And if not, let's allow AI to have a bit more advantage. So far, there is a rule:

(G-11) It is prohibited to insert a stockpile energy after a unit in the base build queue. It is allowed to leave build queue empty after a non-unit item.

Edited by Mart
stockpile bug - correction of wording

EDIT: mart is clearly a ninja and has beaten me to the post. I've put my redundant post in spoiler tags now. :)

ninjasready-1.jpg

put Stockpile Energy into the Queue.

Is this allowed in the DG? I don't remember the rules offhand.

3. stack#2 :Settle in-place with the 2nd CP at NW stack and move the scout NE to pop the pod.

A correction to this one: First pop the pod, if it gives a special resource, it might be better to settle on top of that! I just tried to make that move in to save and it happened to give me energy resource there on the river, since it is low elevation, it makes a mighty good base location river+energy resource.

6. Set all bases to make a scout,then put Stockpile Energy into the Queue.

OK, ok, take me back and shoot me now ;)

I did not read the DG rules carefully, and was going with the typical MP rule mindset where such thing is encouraged...

Is this allowed in the DG? I don't remember the rules offhand.

So far, the rule G-11 prohibit this.

In ACDG3 it was allowed, but it was 4 human teams game. AI served in practice as cannon fodder, maybe apart from Hive.

Well, actually energy stockpile bug is not fixed. Maybe it was decided not to fix it and keep as a feature. So it is up to us.