Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

Buster's Uncle

DG sign-up thread.

78 posts in this topic

I have never had the expansion just the first game so will be at somewhat of a disadvantage also never liked this faction heh, but should be fun.

We chose the original 7 factions so the only difference should be 2 different native units and a few new techs.

As for being Morganites, it's especially because they play somewhat differently. We'll learn something.

Hey guys, I'll sign up as well, I've always been a builder at heart and the Morgans are the quintessential builder faction. I'm a veteran of several Democracy games and usually focus on strategy and strategy debates.

Some old names around in here...AC, zsoso, impaler...nice

Busters uncle, are you related to buster at cgn? This seems an incredibly dumb question but i just cant resist asking :D

welcome to WePlayCiv and to the DG game, Kataphraktoi!

Thanks, im reading from the 2101 thread now. Alot to catchup on

Some old names around in here...AC, zsoso, impaler...nice

you can add: Maniac, Misotu, t_ras to that list.. (not in the DG, but they are around)

Busters uncle, are you related to buster at cgn?
Never.

If this is still going on, I would like to get in on the fun.

The game wrapped up about a year ago, but the associated roleplayish fiction did not - it sorta petered out, which was a shame because most of it was very good.

...We ought to work up another DG. I know we'd support you if you tried to talk it up and take a hand...

Edited by Buster's Uncle
sp

That is unfortunate. Perhaps Democracy will rise again in the near future. I do not believe I could organize the affair, never having played this style of game before.

EDIT:

What is needed to run a Democracy game?

Edited by sakuro

The way things get done around here is that someone who wants something takes initiative - you talking it up and trying to get it going maybe gets Mart and Vishniac's attention, they get active again, and ...

Everyone wins. :doitnow!:

I'll advise you to the extent I understood the deal myself - more help from better qualified people will happen if you persist. Someone has to go first...

I'm certainly not going to commit to being the driving force behind something I do not fully understand. That's silly. I'll reach out to a few people who seemed to know what they were doing, and see if I can get some guidance from them. Then I'll have a better idea of what is required.

Fair enough. I thought we let the last get too complicated, honestly. I didn't entirely understand, but I had other projects going, though not nearly as many as now. I'll certainly add my backing for this to my build queue, should anyone start trying.

Do try Mart - he was the number one guy last time, and was around last week, so getting his help/leadership ought to be doable. Reading around to see who all was involved at the beginning might help, too; this thing got hurt by the Civ 5 boom/bust like a lot of other stuff did. The 5 release syphoned off a tremendous amount of energy/attention from all the good games, and when it turned out to suck, many people didn't return to their former haunts.

There something of rennaisance going on right now, so this would be a good time to make a push. Also, even an elderly game like SMAC(X) still gets given for Christmas, so we may likely have a surge of newbs; those are recruits for whatever we have waiting and we want to have as much fresh activity as possible to get and keep their interest.

I'll support whoever tries to get something going in here. Getting started is as simple as talking it up; agreed that more experience is need to actually set up and RUN it, but you and me, right now, are making a good start at trying to make it happen, just by talking about it.

...To amplify by comparison a bit, I spent seven months this year not doing any forum stuff at all; when I came back six weeks ago, the AC forum here was very nearly stone dead. There was one multiplayer game going, and that was about it. There was a thread with the last post in March before I left, seven months before, at the bottom of the front page, still.

Well, in my heart, I think all of you exist to entertain me; this was too boring for words. Something had to be done, and it was up to me to go first. So I posted a little, where I found I had something to say. I started posting a new SMAC(X) avatar every day. Activity creates activity - though I couldn't do too much on my own without turning into a spammer and polluting AC, but I did the little I could, on my own. Activity Creates Activity.

(I'm not even in charge of AC, you know. That's bdanv. I'm just his junior partner in working to build this place, something I was already doing as a member for years.)

I contacted a few people I missed. I PMed a few currently-inactive friends, hoping they'd at least get the confirmation email, which has worked a few times. I asked if anyone knew how to get in touch with one who'd gone off mad while I was away. That mutated into its own thread -and the biggest thing I can do to make this back into a place that entertains me; sermons and cheerleading to get others trying the same things. It's what I'm doing to you now.

My efforts have worked; some people have climbed on the bus and are trying to help in various ways. Projects to collect and index stuff people are googling for (Darsnan). Efforts to support the MP community and get more games going (Imagine a Cool Name). Enthusiastic newbs like you and Kilkakon (he's only a newb here, but still) pursuing their interests and leaving behind something for others to read in the process. Every little bit matters and it all adds up.

Activity is way up since I began working my vision of AC community revival six weeks ago for selfish reasons. Not to toot my own horn, but one guy can make a real difference if he can infect others with a vision, a common goal. Now is the time to push for what each of us want from this place. Pulling together, we can do it.

One person can indeed make a big impact. I am slow to commit to a community, however. So don't expect to se mee jumping into many things with both feet.

But since you are currently acting as forum cheerleader, you might want to start compiling a list of people who you have seen around and think might be interested in the DG. If need be we can talk over how to rebuild things as a group.

Oh Lord; I'll see if I can get to it anytime soon, but I'm juggling a million things and I need help...

That is alright.If you did come up with a list, I would do the contacting, so you don't need to worry about that. I'm not sure where to go recruiting for players on this forum. For now I'm just going to post some brain-storming concept ideas. Maybe someone will notice and take interest.

Vishniac sent me a link that had the following:

A multiplayer democracy game is a multi-player game where teams of players play against one another and manage their factions through discussion and consensus.

Additional Role playing rules (up for discussion and new proposals are welcome)

1) Cannot switch Society Values more than once every 10 years

2) Must wait x number of years to switch economic models, where x = population/4

3) We can come up with some interesting rules for switching politics model

4) Create a forum-based component to the game where factions can influence the society choices of other human controlled factions through some kind of espionage activity. (We have yet to invent some rules for this)

5) Human controlled Democracies cannot declare vendetta without cause for war

5.1) What constitutes a cause for war: (we have yet to decide on this, some obvious ones are being attacked by an aggressor or coming to the aid of your ally) We will not allow democracies to declare war by agreeing to an AI-proposal for a joint-attack, or back-stabbing another AI or player.

6) Fundamentalist Factions can't delcare vendetta against other fundamentalists

I'm thinking that additional "role-playing" rules may make the SE choices less typical, for instance it may be worth running a police state because it is easier to declare war than under a democracy.

Probably the number of human-controlled factions should be 3 at most to create an interesting geopolitical environment and allow for the game to advance at a suitable pace.

So there could be one Player Faction we choose as a group and a few Non-Player Factions that are controlled by an individual person for story purposes.

In the player faction I noticed there was at least two "positions" the participants could fill. Some that I was considering were:

- "Spy Master" [controls probe teams, both defensively and offensively]

- "Sergeant of Arms" [controls military units. this could further be broken down into navy, army, and air force if we get enough people]

- "Head Scientist" [control research priorities and designs creates unit designs]

- "Ambassader" [handles diplomactic matters]

- "City Planner" [controls formers, coloney pods (thus picking th elocation of bases), and crawlers]

- "Project Manager" [handles recruiting units, building facilusties, and seceret projects]

- "Council Leader" [who basically just tries to keep everything organized between the players, perhaps has some authority over Economics, Psych, Energy allocation and Sociel Engineering]

The players could do what they wanted within their field, but they would in fact depend on others, so some internal politicking might be needed to achieve your own personal agendas. Speaking of agendas, it would be neat if each player approached the game as though playing the role of someone in the position they're filling with goals and ambitions of their own for Planet and their Faction. Thus, angling for certain Social Engineering traits and the like, and trading favors to achieve those goals.

Good stuff.

I gather that in the best DGs there's an enormous amount of rollplaying. Last time, we tried, but just didn't achieve the critical mass to sustain it. I dunno the solution to that - better recruiting, maybe?

Did Vish tell you anything about his situation? I honestly don't know, there.

I'll try to get you a list of people to pester reach out to tonight or tomorrow; I'm traveling all day Sunday, so it's by tomorrow or maybe Wednesday or later.

If you want role playing, you recruit role players, people who like to write, and enjoy the setting. Pacing and organization can be important as well. Experianced DGers would help as well.

Vish didn't mention anything about what was going on with him personally. You might want to ask.

Here's a list of the people who expressed interest in this thread who won't instantly know if something starts going here:

nbcman

zsozso

RMcD94

Bodissey

Alinestra Covelia

Dolgorukov

mail2345

Unorthodox

Zack

Kookee2k2

Grakelin

fed1943

DrazharLn

dacole

Impaler[WrG]

Kataphraktoi

...nbcman gave the site a junk email and won't get a notification if you PM. Alinestra, alas, is a lost cause, I think. I'll try nbc again at an email he gave me if you move on this.

The people you want most off that list for the value of their input are Bodissey(long a mainstay of AC MP) Uno (veteran of millions of non-SMAC(X) DGs done very right, and actually active at WPC now, just not AC) Draz (an endless fountain of ideas if you can get him interested and one of the people I'd most like to see active again) zsozso, Impaler and Kataphraktoi (elders of the AC community to varying degrees). Good idea to try the whole list, we need and value all of them, but do go to extra trouble for those I've singled out...

Maybe try Darsnan, Petek and Lefty Scaveola, too, all somewhat active here in AC and rather senior - they'll tend to be tough to sell, but levels of commitment can vary and we might at least like their advice...

Our leader, bdanv, goes without saying, but is often slammed by RL and doubtless has already seen this discussion, so no need to contact.

Hi,

Links to demo games on Apolyton can show a lot about what these kind of games are:

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?2394-Introduction-to-Alpha-Centauri-Democracy-Game&p=79959&viewfull=1#post79959

Especially ACDG1 - it was one faction game. As well as ACDG - Police State.

There is large write-up about playing.

I'm recently busy with RL, but may have more time in coming weeks.... :)