Rhoth

The Thread of Names

107 posts in this topic

Yes, I had to search for the actual name even once I remembered there was some kind of afterlife support established for conformity. :)

But hey, the Swine might get it, even if no one else does. ;)

Hmmm, think I might pull out some of my old Inca mythology for the next city name....

Mama Kuka - she was goddess of coca leaves. She created coca leaves when she was having so many orgasims that her lovers caused her to split in half, when she fell to earth she caused the coca plant to grow. Men were only allowed to chew the coca after having given women an orgasim, or upon other divine intervention (thus, they were able to break this rule and allow their quipi runners to chew it because the Copac allowed it). Hmm, she really isn't appropriate though for our listings of hell.

The Inca hell was Uku Pacha (look for snakes on any inca motif for any representation). I guess that could work. Generally, the god that ruled over it was called Supay; but that was also the name of a fairly prominent religion on the north peruvian coasts several hundred years prior to the Inca, who most folks think was re-invented to help spur the inca take over of the region about 60 years prior to the conquest.

Hmm, a bit more subte, but Chasca (or Chasqui) was the goddess of Dawn and Twilight, Venus (the planet), and protector of young virgins (male and female, but more so female). I kinda like this one, rather subtle. You can say she really was, among other things, a protector of dusk.

Eh, pick any of them that work for you.

Hmm, a bit more subte, but Chasca (or Chasqui) was the goddess of Dawn and Twilight, Venus (the planet), and protector of young virgins (male and female, but more so female). I kinda like this one, rather subtle. You can say she really was, among other things, a protector of dusk.

Eh, pick any of them that work for you.

:b: This one i like most :)

I second donald's motion. :b:

I already added Chasqui to the settler name to remind myself so I don't have to go searching later.

BTW, I like Chasqui more than Chasca.

Ya, one of my friends named her cat Chasqui. I named mine Mishqui (means sugar, or sweet). Both cats are psycho....

Roth announce that it's my turn to name a city, yee! :D

I've been looking, and found this name: Erebh

I found this name here: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erebus[/ame]. Because I think Erebus more to be a unit name, I like Erebh for a cityname.

Second thought:

Camazotz --> A full-fledged god, this deity was central in agriculture, but was feared for his blood-drinking tendencies, fearsome appearance (which included large teeth and claws), and his tendency to dwell in caves where he would-- I presume-- attack people for their blood. (Mayan, Mexico)

The source is somewhat doubtful ;)http://www.angelfire.com/tn/vampires/step8.html. Extra info: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camazotz[/ame]

Edited by donald23
added extra text

Erehb sounds fine to me. :)

Camazotz has a nice ring too it. And I like the blood-drinking part. :b:

Erebh or Erehb was Ok too.

(I'm just glad you didn't want to call it Disney Land. :cute: )

Second thought:

Camazotz --> A full-fledged god, this deity was central in agriculture, but was feared for his blood-drinking tendencies, fearsome appearance (which included large teeth and claws), and his tendency to dwell in caves where he would-- I presume-- attack people for their blood. (Mayan, Mexico)

The source is somewhat doubtful ;)http://www.angelfire.com/tn/vampires/step8.html. Extra info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camazotz

NICE digging there. (how on earth did you stumble on Camazotz?)

Camazotz are rarely seen as gods, however, and more akin to vampire bats. Though, there is at least one incident of Camazotz being described as a singular being as well.

They are said to live in Zotzilaha (house of bats), with their god being Zotzilaha Chamalcan. God of caves, darkness, bats, vampires, and of course the reason I know him...god of fire.

Funny, I started searching for mayan culture, stumbled on some folklore connected to werewolves/vampires. Then searched for vampiregods and via some links found that one :)

Erehb sounds fine to me. :)

donald - do want Erehb or Camazotz?

Meh... I like em both actually. Erehb is easier to pronounce :) I like the story behind Camazotz better.... hmm... I pick Camazotz then :)

Or maybe someone has a specific objection to Camazotz?

Oops, I already settled it as Erebh. I can change it if you want.

Some great names in there. :b:

Surus (the Syrian) is mentioned as the bravest elephant in the army

Definitely nice names:

Tyke, a circus elephant who on August 20, 1994 in Honolulu, Hawaii, killed her trainer Allen Campbell and gored her groom Dallas Beckwith, causing severe injuries during a Circus International performance before hundreds of horrified spectators. Tyke then bolted from the arena and ran through downtown streets of Kakaako for more than 30 minutes.

Oops, I already settled it as Erebh. I can change it if you want.

Yes please :)

Okie doke. Changed in game and a picture taken for my city growth thread. I'll change the names over in that and the turn thread in a bit. :)

I pulled out some of the better elephant names from that wiki article. Here they are:

Abul Abbas

Batyr

Hanno

Kandula

Kesavan

Kilimanjaro

Lallah Rookh (used)

Lin Wang

Mona

Suleiman

Surapa

Surus

Timur

Tuffi

Tusko

Meh... I like em both actually. Erehb is easier to pronounce :) I like the story behind Camazotz better.... hmm... I pick Camazotz then :)

I like both names as well. Maybe we can use Erehb for our next city ... the C4 site.

We'll need names for new units next turn. We have a spearman coming out in Asphodel, and an elephant in Mag Mell (you can use the naming thread link). I believe Harovan and Kloreep are next on the naming list so hopefully they see the thread soon. If not then con is next, followed by GK.

We'll have several units coming up so everyone might as well get their preferred name in. There will be one more spear, and then several elephants.

I'm planning on keeping the Rock-It Launcher designation for the catapults.

We need names for three longbows, two healer chariots, and dog names for the upcoming axe and spear.

Keala for a spear. She's our one year old Aussie Shepherd.