• play 2 human factions DG
    • play 3 or more human factions DG
    • play any DG setup
    • maybe I would join, and I played in the past
    • I need more info, but I think of joining DG
    • I need more info and I'm uncertain
    • I will not play
    • I delegate broccoli to play

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

136 posts in this topic

I propose 4 different groups of players, 5 if you count governors.

Senators:

• Independent senators
  • Party A
  • Party B

Governors are essentially senators, but they also take on civilian unit movements around their base(s). The senate would obviously still vote on the production of bases and the orders for those units, but in the same way as with military commanders, the governor would give his actual orders to the GM/CMN.

[Again, senate says Crawl for minerals for base x, governor says to CMN, send crawler at x,y to a,b and crawl for minerals.]

Independent armed forces

• Possibly split along traditional lines (navy, air force, army) or maybe into independent battle groups. The players can work that out themselves. The latter choice obviously makes rogue commanders more powerful, though.
  • Military intelligence would be a separate wing.
  • Commanders answer to military high command that in turn listens to the senate.

Edited by DrazharLn

I... think a lot of this is over my head, thus far.

Perhaps that's a thing to keep in mind. Some of us are going to need to be brought up to speed in a hury, and lots of information to assimilate at once is not a good way to do it.

Someone who groks this stuff fully should think about a basic "Demogames 101" curriculum. It sure would come in handy...

I don't think we'll be pointing people towards this thread for the explanations. Once we've got it all sorted out I'll explain it in plain English in a new thread.

What is it in particular that you don't understand? You at least need to be up to speed at this point if we're to plan this together. Perhaps we should requisition a private forum for the planning?

I think we are fine here for now. Private forum would only obstruct newcomers from voicing their opinion.

Also, we just started the poll. in some days, we might attract people with new ideas. Let's see.

We can try. I'm not point on this one- just a citizen pitching in. I'll back up whoever makes the request.

It's hard to say what I don't get- I think I more or less follow the general principals, but I'm overwhelmed by the detail. I can't really answer the question. Just tell me what to do until I say differently, okay?

Edited by Buster's Uncle

Ok, reading through the thread again it's not exactly crystal clear what we're going on about. I'll go write a more complete manifesto of what I think the game should be. Then you can all tell me what you think.

Since I answered the poll in this thread, I will place my reasoning in this thread. I am a newbie on SMAC (only played the demo so far)-and I have never played SMAX. But I am willing to learn and particpate in a demo game. Just take my advice/decisions in the game with a grain of salt based on my lack of experience. Perhaps if there is sufficient interest in the demo game you may want to consider two demo games-one for more experienced players and one for less experienced players.

That might be a great idea, if we can pull the participants, and I think we can. Whether we can hold onto them will probably be another issue to consider in this...

Remember that lots of stuff should be going on besides the actual playing of SMAC. The early years in particular would be very important for the two parties forming and drawing up battle lines (especially as most players will start unaligned as neutral senators). Ideally, we'd see them interfering with one another with political intrigue every turn.

But I still think that the game for us should begin at a point where the faction has transitioned from a para-military colonizing force to one with a more sophisticated political organization. This organization would reflect the increasing importance of civilian population demands and for that we need the faction population to have reached a critical mass.

In short I advocate for an accelerated start with several established bases, a sizable military force, part of the tech tree discovered, some infrastructure and terraforming improvements.

As I stated earlier, I do think that the GM/CMN should either play the game or otherwise set us up with a small nation. Maybe 5-7 bases.

I wouldn't use the actual accelerated start option, but I don't think you were suggesting that, Dolgorukov.

The only disadvantage I can see for this is that we don't get to let the players work out the government structure as they go. But that might actually be a good thing.

If there's a vote, count me on starting in 2101.

Like someone said, early options can be the most effective, and I'd like to read what some will do.

I think starting in 2101 will be the best option, although, we can have more starting units and in the scenario they may be scattered somewhat already (as in ACDG5) This way, we speeded up a bit beginning years. AI can have that too. And it won't be that boring with several 'unity' pre-defined units.

Thinking what can be practical, I would say, up to 3 private forums: 2 largest parties + military forum. Government talks could be open.

Also, in case of low activity, there could be government consisting just of the president and that is it.

Having initially like 10 players our options are limited. Some social/roleplay functions would have to be doubled. E.g. president/premier would be a member of party or military, maybe independent.

I was hoping we might be able to get at least 15 players.

I was hoping we might be able to get at least 15 players.

It's possible, but let us see. Also in the past, I noticed activity had a peak, and then interest was fading. It will be like that here too.

This would be another reason to keep the game fairly short. An accelerated start would help that :D

The poll still continues, I was thinking to wait maybe 7 days before drawing a conclusion as to what game we want to play. Maybe even 10 or 14 days.

However, we can draw plans for cases:

Singleplayer game case:

- Map size:

- Other settings:

- Faction:

- AI factions:

This will be needed. Please answer these questions, if you want to propose something.

==================

my preferences would be:

- Map size: something between small and regular size, 34x68, or 40x80, which is regular.

- Other settings: dense cloud cover, abundant native life, but erosion average. Map also enhanced by the creator.

- Faction: PK, seems the best, and we will shape it into what we want anyway. But as Unity Mission members, we could start with them.

- AI factions: I think all original, from Gaians to Believers.

I bow to your superior knowledge in these matters.

I do think that we should reserve faction choice until we've decided on the backstory for the roleplay, though. The factions involved will probably influence the secret objectives. In particular the new factions might be useful to have for storytelling reasons.

We can create a custom faction also, to play it.

Changing units, rules and factions would somehow defeat the goal of helping newbies.

Changing units, rules and factions would somehow defeat the goal of helping newbies.

I agree, if we put too much weird stuff, it will no longer feel like good old smac.

I guess we need to decide exactly what we want the DG to do. As previously stated, I'm all for a roleplay style metagame wrapper for the core SMAC play with an emphasis on scheming, roleplaying and storytelling rather than brilliant technical play.

I understand that a DG as we know it might not be the place for this.

... I'm all for a roleplay style metagame wrapper for the core SMAC play with an emphasis on scheming, roleplaying and storytelling rather than brilliant technical play.

I think we can have both. It's better, because with relatively small interest in the DG, people would be able to find what they like most. Some would put more attention to roleplaying, others to technical turnplaying.

We need some decent level of technical playing, because the world created by the game has to be sufficiently meaningful, e.g. if all AI would be completely 'stupid' we would only pretend, that our military efforts in game are important. On the other hand, if AI has 2 planet busters and we don't, then there is something to talk about.

Since I answered the poll in this thread, I will place my reasoning in this thread. I am a newbie on SMAC (only played the demo so far)-and I have never played SMAX. But I am willing to learn and particpate in a demo game. Just take my advice/decisions in the game with a grain of salt based on my lack of experience. Perhaps if there is sufficient interest in the demo game you may want to consider two demo games-one for more experienced players and one for less experienced players.

I think we gonna have only enough participants for one demogame. And being less experienced in smacx is not a problem, as you maybe already have read in this thread, it is going to be a mixture of roleplaying and playing actual game turns. Experience will come very fast.

Take a look in the linked archived on Apolyton, there is a lot to read over there. In the teams threads you will find discussions, screenshots, drawings on screenshots with plans, etc.