Buster's Uncle

When was the last time you played Civ I?

34 posts in this topic

...For me it was about 10 years ago. I'd played Civ2 enough first that I found 1 simply a less-satisfying, crude version. Had I played it first and much sooner, I'm sure I'd have a different story.

Anyone care to relate theirs?

Probably about 5 years ago just before getting CIV. Now I can't load the game without buying an external drive since when I bought Civ I it was on 3.5" floppy disks.

To me Civ was the 1st PC strategy game which hooked me completely.

Probably 1995 when Colonization took over as my favourite game.

It pleases me that my tuber topic is drawing good responses. :D

Anyone else?

I had it on my old machine, but no manual, so sid would come kill me for piracy... which I don't condone.

When is the last time you posted into a BUncle tuber?

I've never played Civ 1, in fact I don't think I've ever seen Civ 1. My first game of the series was Civ2, followed by my discovery of the much older Colonization.

Civ 1 is pretty awesome. Like I mentioned, it's incredibly primitive after you're used to 2, but the actual game play is very similar. I liked it well enough to play through it more than once.

I bet a buck or two could be made if they released it as an app for some of these modern hand-held consumer electronics. High-end cell phones could just about handle it now.

Can you image having a Civilization hand-held you could play on long rides? :nod: I think that might rock really hard.

I got it as a freebie that was (quite legally) included on the demo disk CG+ Magazine used to put out every month, so it's not like they're expecting to make any money off Civ 1 any more. Very little to lose if they were to try.

Can you image having a Civilization hand-held you could play on long rides? :nod: I think that might rock really hard.

It's called CivRev for DS and iPhone. ;)

Or just click civilizationrevolution.com. It is the official Firaxis site.

I don't have CivRev-I don't have a device capable of playing it-nor do I think that CivRev is sufficiently 'Civ' to purchase it.

According to the marketing dep, CivRev is the game "Sid always wanted to make". OK, it is far shallower than the PC Civ games, but in a good way. You can play a full game into Modern era and win by technology victory arriving at Alpha Centauri (Yeah, SMAC rulez) in 2-3 hours.

However, the greatest thing about it is the fact, that the streamlined game allows you to play online multi-player games from start to finish in 1 sitting: typical MP games last from a few minutes to a few hours with 2-4 players. This attracts a large number of players and a very active competitive community. On the PS3, the MP leaderboard has about 60,000 registered users. OK ,most of them are inactive and probably only played a couple of games and left, but there are still hundreds, possibly thousands of active players. You can see changes in the top-10 of the leaderboard daily, so that shows there is activity and you can usually get a game going within minutes if you go online.

ps: I've been playing SMAC ever since it came out (12 years now ?) and only completed a handful of PBEM games and participated in a few dozen (some still going, but many died due to some players getting bored and not responding, so the game gets stuck). In comparison, I started playing CivRev about a year ago and already logged about 600 ranked games on the leaderboard and played several hundred additional non-ranked games with friends. Now, that's a huge difference, which means that now I know the CivRev tech tree by heart, but I still need to lookup the SMAC one when I play.

Edited by zsozso

As I've posted somewhere previously, I want to point out some VERY important. Look at the designers of the games:

Civ1: Sid

Civ2: Brian

Civ3: Brian/Soren

Civ4: Soren

CivRev: Sid

CivRev is almost identical in depth and rules to Civ1. We have to remember that Civ2/3/4 are NOT Sid's work. So it is true when Sid says it's the game he wanted to design since he has taken his original work (Civ1 NOT Civ4) and fixed it. CivRev is actually the TRUE sequel to Sid Meier's Civilization.

Based on my impression from comments here, I'd say that that's poor evidence that Sid sucks. A handheld civ game needs to be fast and simple. 24+ hours games are just not the ticket on that platform.

I simply said I'm not a fan of Sid Meier, because I don't like games to be simple - I prefer them to have strategic diversity.

And I'm saying that it may or may not be true that Sid=uncomplex, but CivRev, as I understand it, is no proof, being for a platform that demands a streamlined design. Civ 1 isn't even good evidence of the proposition; it was first, as well as being of the time it was of. Would Civ2 have even been able to run on the specs of 1991 machines?

If I am to be persuaded, I need more evidence.

I stopped play civ1 when civ2 arrived, as I saw the last as a great upgrade of the former.

[...]

I bet a buck or two could be made if they released it as an app for some of these modern hand-held consumer electronics. High-end cell phones could just about handle it now.[...]

I got a rather cheapish Navigation system for xmas and it has a 400Mhz-CPU built in. In comparison, you could run Civ on a 12Mhz 286´er rather comfortabely.

It´s quite a shame, that this device is sold as a navigation system only. In order to access the installed windows on it, you have to ´click´ at the top-left corner of its main-menu - which is not documented anywhere in the manual (i feel so tach-savy each time i do this). You are supposed to use it as a navigation aid, and nothing else. Another example of optimal allocation of ressources, i guess (actively and directly curtailing utility on ressources that could easily offer it - just so more of otehr stuff is getting sold).

With the appropriate tools installed, i can not only play music on it, but also read PDFs and even watch highly compressed movies (albeit with a frame skipped now and then - but still totally enjoyable). My attempts to install a DOS-Box on it are postponed for now, though, since this seems to be a tad more complicated... The screen is standard VGA (320x240 IIRC). It should be possible to play at least some DOS-games on it. Info on that appriciated (Win CE5 it is, IIRC).

EDIT: In fact, it could replace the ´mobile data aquirement´ machines we use for reading meters: It has sufficient memory, is fast enough and has a self-lit touchscreen (battery might be a problem though - it only goes for maybe 3-4 hours without recharging). Maybe i should tell that to the people i will read meters for in march - they still use paper-lists. Not normal paper mind you, but ´endless´ paper (the one with the holes in detachable sides, for the printer to grab it) with green stripes on it. It´s obviously printed on by a 9-needle-printer with the ´NLQ´ (´near letter quality´ - a feature of cheap printers in the mid-80´s) disabled. I consider bringing my c64, so that they can upgrade their office-equipment...

Edited by Mr. Scruffy

Last time I played Civ1 was actually only a few months ago. It's fun to revisit the past from time to time.:) I had a period right before Civ3, I think, where I played Civ1 extensively actually. It had its own unique atmosphere.