Buster's Uncle

February 2010 Game of the Month: "What would Pravin do?"

177 posts in this topic

@zsozso: this year (as opposed to last year) you will see shorter scenarios and maybe less difficult, because we want more players/submissions.

this week end i will start a spoiler thread were you can discuss about the game play

Sorry for spoiling without the tag.

BTW, I finished the scenario on transcend level in MY.2162. First, I thought impact rovers will be enough, but then I realized the location of Penal Colony is a pain to get to, so I went for air force... Could've been faster if I went straight for that.

We're looking forward to your AAR, man. Have you had a look at the fiction?

I haven't asked everyone in general to comment on the custom factions; I now do.

will see shorter scenarios

@zsozso: i would say this target was reached :lol:

seriously, i wasn't expecting you to play. what made you come back to the GotM?

General question off that:

Does the notion of shorter scenarios apeal? I know some of Darsnan's were pretty "time to die", but Vishniac, for example, seemed to like that.

Any comments?

We're looking forward to your AAR' date=' man. Have you had a look at the fiction?

[/quote']

Started reading, but game addiction took over :D But I'll get back to them now that the game is over and will comment, you can count on it. I am afraid I will not be able to match the writing quality with my AAR, but I'll try to write something anyways.

@zsozso: i would say this target was reached :lol:

seriously, i wasn't expecting you to play. what made you come back to the GotM?

I was always a strong supporter of GotM, so never meant to abandon it. Just got distracted by playing a lot of CivRev, climbing the leaderboards, playing GotW there etc. But I am starting to lose interest in that game and returning to SMAC instead... ;)

Does the notion of shorter scenarios apeal? I know some of Darsnan's were pretty "time to die"' date=' but Vishniac, for example, seemed to like that.

[/quote']

I also like harder, challenging ones, so I'll try those out just for fun.

Shorter scenario has one obvious appeal: you need to dedicate less time to finish it, so you could still take a stub at it even if you are busy...

Yes, exactly. I don't think, though, that it would be a bad idea at all to throw in the occasional slaughterhouse scenario, but I think while we're still building the program we are best off going mostly shorter and more casual - the side-goodies ought to help, too.

I will not be able to match the writing quality with my AAR, but I'll try to write something anyways.

we'll wait for that. also can you tell us the approximate playing time?

But I am starting to lose interest in that game and returning to SMAC instead...

once a SMACer, always a SMACer ;)

I also like harder, challenging ones, so I'll try those out just for fun.

we are planing on accepting submissions also for the old GotM. those will be entered into a 'consolation standings'..

i have updated the points system for this GotM to make it more clear:

POINTS SYSTEM

The standings will be based on the number of turns needed for completion and of course, the difficulty level.

If we have a tie, then the Alpha Centauri score will be the tie-breaker.

However, the games played on lesser difficulty level won't be able to beat a superior level even if finished in less turns.

Example:

let's say we have 4 submissions:

player #1 victory in 2194 as citizen,

player #2 victory in 2196 as thinker,

player #3 victory in 2175 as transcend

player #4 victory in 2195 as transcend.

the standings will look like this:

No code has to be inserted here.

there's nothing confirmed yet about this..

I read the "Prophet, Interrupted - Believer Succession" story and loved it. BU has painted the picture of the perfect religious zealot to lead a jihad, with all his personal problems to fuel his rage. Great story!

:DD

That Ali sure can write. Without her, all I had was a monster. A nuanced portrait was better.

I read Strained Succession. I liked the part on Chinwemma-how she married her way into the family, 'encouraged' her husband and his assistants to resist by plying them with alcohol, and then securing her good name by arranging the release of some of the remaining directors to ensure her position after the board meeting. Very good read about a politically adept woman and her machinations to get to the top.

I always wondered at that passage; it looked suspiciously like she anticipated exactly what was going to happen. Makes you wonder whether she really is the sweet-but-canny housewife she otherwise appears to be, or utterly, chillingly ruthless.

Manuel is ranting about apples and the Great Whore of Babylon in the back of my head.

I would go for the ruthless side. She made some extremely calculated moves during the succession crisis while most of the other Morgan family members crumbled. Very nicely written story about a ruthless b****. Being a ruthless b**** is a not bad thing and it should not be taken as a negative comment about Chinwemma.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I just put everything into a new folder inside the Scenarios Folder.

But when I reach the name when choosing a scenario, it doesn't show a name to click on.

Some help?

I HATE fiddling with files.

I just put everything into a new folder inside the Scenarios Folder.

This is your mistake (highlighted in bold). You need to unpack the stuff under the main SMAC folder, it will put the scenario inside the scenario folder and other important files where they belong (new factions with graphics and text files).

Thank you, zso- I think that explains the default graphic problem I had, too.

I've also now read the stories, and enjoyed them quite a bit.

As others have said, Manuel's was quite good as a description of a character. It really got me into the head of the the character.

I also liked a lot of your ideas of how the different factions worked. The university hierarchy was an interesting approach (and explanation for the extra drones), and the Morganite corporate elections were an interesting idea as well.

The spartan and Hive society orientation didn't seem as fleshed out. (The stories did give a sense of how the societies work, but didn't seem as fleshed out as the others.) I think this had to do with both stories revolving around military people attempting to take control, and the other elements as a result didn't end up as important. (I suppose this may also be an effect of non-democratic societies, though the effect is still there.)

The Peacekeeper one also seemed somewhat thin, although for that one there might not have been as many society details to describe.

I'll certainly be watching you guys in the future to see what (if anything) you write.

The Morgan story and the Believers story went through considerable revisions. The Believers story at one point was completely unrecognizable from what it is now.

I thought the PK story was ultimately kinda weak, too. The narrative part was the first story written in the project- by me, alas- and it was very exposition-heavy, not really about much else, and reflected how green I am at this sort of thing. I always intended it as the introduction, and it sorta was intended to point the way for the concept I was suggesting to our head writer.

Ali then wrote the Datalinks part- which I think is pretty awesome- and the Hive and Spartan stories. Honestly, they're fine stories that went in other directions than what I would have expected. Original is good.

I think the difference may be that as we went we were warming up our writing muscles. (I've never written many stories, and we're talking about maybe 20 years since I've turned my hand to it last.) The later stuff all had stronger characterizations. You had more feel for what the people were like. I still couldn't tell you much of anything about Prashanti that's not explicit in the story, and I created her. (Though a pal found the picture I used...)

Honestly, I think it mattered that we got more comfortable working together as we went, too. I haven't had anyone to talk story with in a long time. I should have nit-picked the early stuff more, in retrospect. (The stories I gave Ali the most grief over turned out the best, with one exception.)

Strings and Puppets and Junta Politics have nothing at all wrong with them- if you'd read them as stand-alones, you'd surely have loved them- it's just that maybe they look a little thin after you've cried at the end of Strength Amid the Grieving, a masterpiece I had little to do with. It was born nearly perfect.

The opinion expressed in my current sigline is 100% sincere.

The later stuff all had stronger characterizations.
Okay, not so much Command of Your Faculties. Ali can do fine characterization- I'm only partway through Joe, (which is as good as you already may have heard), but I thought her introduction of Yang early was superb, and Bing was very well-drawn and 3 dimensional- but I believe she thinks much more in terms of plot than I do. She's a very strong plotter.

I'm really just thinking about it out loud here.

Prophet, Interrupted (I was very tempted to find something Latin to make it "[X] Interuptus" but it's good I chickened out on making the pun more explicit) on the other hand, barely has a plot. I tend strongly to think in terms of characters and situations, and am not strong with plot. The narrative part of Peace in Our Time has no plot at all, actually, and that was all me (though she rewrote half- the middle paragraphs -completely, the structure was entirely mine.)

Plot-focused stories maybe don't seem as deep; but then, something happens in them. I thought I got a sense of Liren Yang and Sosimo Fernan, to be sure. Master manipulators who work so much more gently than one would have expected are not at all uninteresting.

I dunno. We, mostly she, did the whole thing in two weeks while having to work out how to work together. Pretty good, considering. I don't miss the fairly bad stress, but it was really a lot of fun...

Edited by Buster's Uncle
grammar nazi