Alinestra Covelia

Places to buy SMAX

69 posts in this topic

I haven't seen this posted at this site, so here's a little help for those of you looking to buy SMAC and Alien Crossfire legally:

http://www.mastertronic.com/productSoldOut.asp?pid=756&productLabelID=1

They're in the UK, but the price plus shipping (to US) was about $15. It took something in the region of eight days to get to me, too, which is really fast. The games are fully compatible with XP and Vista.

SMAC on! :D

^ It's true.

But I don't remember making a new thread. Maybe one of the mods moved it?

I asked Solver to do so because we shouldn't bury the info in the Welcome thread.

Should this be stickied, actually? It's AC FAQ info, for sure.

If I were in the market for Alpha Centauri and its expansion, I definitely would purchase the one Alinestra Covelia posted the link to. Even though shipping charges from the United Kingdom to the United States would apply, it would still be a fraction of what that game bundle sells for on this side of the pond.

Thank you, Alinestra Covelia!

I'm not sure if it's still available, but EA games "Laptop Collection" had SMAC and SMAX included. IIRC (I bought it a few years ago) it was about $20 Canadian, and included a bunch of coasters/X-mass tree ornaments as well. ;)

Should this be stickied' date=' actually? It's AC FAQ info, for sure.[/quote']

Pester Jack Hawksmoor to post his latest FAQ (your can see it at 'poly). It includes the info on buying AC.

The Mastertronic(EA) version of SMAC Complete(from the uk) uses SecuRom for its copy protection, the email i reiceved from customers services said they were not sure if the Alien crossfire expansion(that comes on a seperate disk in the bundle) would work with an original old non-SecuRom version of SMAC.......as i asked looking for away around putting this particular DRM on my PC(again!).

Just thought you should all be aware.

Last I checked, buying SMAX wasn't the problem, it was buying SMAC.

Really? Have I missed something? I'm asking.

My experience has been just the opposite.

Edit: To be sure there is no misunderstanding, SMAC = Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and SMAX = Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire, correct?

Edited by Greybriar

And the uk release of 'Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Complete', which is the combined games(SMAC+SMAX) for about £5, available from the link to mastertronic at thread top, is a Vista/Xp friendly version, but SecuRom'd.

Who has bought SMAX through Mastertronic?

What was your experience?

How fast did they ship?

:b:

My mother bought it for me, got it delivered to her house in UK and sent it over by Royal Mail.

If she managed to do it no problems it must be a good service. She's not exactly of the internet generation...... ;)

She commented on how quickly it got to her, and I was amazed at how quickly Royal Mail got it out to NZ

Four pounds 99p, freight free to her. Two pounds 19p freight to NZ.

Aren't mums great!!!! :rockon:

By contrast, the 'limited edition' marketed in NZ is overpriced, not freight free, and out of stock already........

Is there anyplace to buy SMAC + SMAX via a legal download? I have searched and I can find illegal download sites but I want to get a legit copy.

I take ethics pretty seriously. I vote order it from Sold Out Software. Once you have sent them your money, I'd say you have ethical coverage to download a crack immediately with a clear conscience.

I own 2, maybe 3 legal copies of SMACX.

The only version of SMACX I ever install/use is an archived version of the game that I just extract. It has all the patches and requires no installation.

Conveniently, at ~600MB it fits on a flash drive easily and can be run from there.

SMAC+SMACX, get it on ebay

I got mine from this source, for like $5 USD, without the shipping.

uk-to-usa-gamesdirect ( 8091 [Feedback score is 5,000 to 9,999] )

Edited by Dolgorukov

Devils advocate: Does any money from sold out software go towards the original developer? I somewhat doubt it. The only good thing about it is its a commercial vote for a SMAC sequel.

I got my SMAX off ebay.

Buying from ebay is no different from piracy though from the perspective of publisher/developer.