Beta

Welcome to Team Apocalypto

189 posts in this topic

Ah yes, I remember Tabemono too (another hang out for a lot of this team...Kloreep, Uno, you and myself). Kloreep did a bang up job with that one and if the interest had still been there we probably would have won that game he had us so far ahead.

I was part of Sarantium as well, but my civ enjoyment was seriously on the wane by then. I think what caused it was the game in between, the infamous Paddy Screws Everyone game. I was on a team (Euphorica) with snoopy369 and another hawk who believed we should attack another team and trust Paddy to help. I wasn't convinced, and as it ended up it was not a good time to attack the other team, plus Paddy betrayed us. That was about the time my son was born too so between the two events I didn't do much more in Civ land. I was part of Sarantium, but mostly a lurker, and had one or two Pitboss games going. Poly was in the process of going south when I left. When the games died I just left and didn't come back until January of this year.

Wow! Just the mention of me not being on other CIV-communities, brings alot of memories to others!

It's kinda nice to read about old days on earlier communities :) Makes me realize once more I like history :D

Yep there is a lot of Civ History in this group. I didn't catch on with these guys until CIV 3 mainly.

But I did do a bunch of CIV 2 Demo-gaming and PBEM-ing with a different crowd. I did a little Civ2 vanilla gaming but mostly played MP with the scenarios.

That last Demo-game at Poly pretty much did it for me. I don't like to say never but it will be a cold day in hell before I do anything at that site again.

Id go back to Civ-Fanatics where I started out but its blocked at work so I usually don't spend much time there either.

So, in honour of donald joining, I did a google search : "apocalypse duck picture". This is what I got. Looks sort of scary. :lol:

apocalypseduck.jpg

Ya, the first SP demo game was amazing. I have very fond memories of it. I came in just as the term 1 president was leaving, and the election for term 2 was happening. By term 3, I was elected to a position myself.

Term 3 FTW!

Best damn government a demogame ever had.

Game 2 had some very interesting moments as well. That is the game when Uno had to leave right in teh middle of a chat cause someone got shot what basically was on his front yard; I had my botched eye surgery; and at least one person (I forget who) was running a chat, when they they stopped, because their computer started melting and caused their house to burn down... oh, that was one hell of a game.

Yeah. That game was cursed. The lawsuit from me saving that moron's (shot himself) life went on for ages.

By the end of it though, MP was released, and I went with Togas, MWIA, Ninot, Bigfree, jdjdjd, mrmitchel, Aidun, and I am sure a dozen more I am forgetting, and promptly got our arses handed to us cause they all wanted to play builder instead of building an army (oh, that irritated me so much, after they opened up the other forums, ifwe had gone to war early like I had suggested, we would have won the game I suspect), - so that when war did happen, we had lots of universities in our cities, but were trying to defend a town with 1 warrior and 1 archer against a stack of 20 odd knights......... and 3 different civs. Togas continued to play that game all teh way to the end being GS's tech and trading slave, and got to watch the war against lego who had a whole continent all to themselves to grwo into and then defend.

It was team DIA for crying out loud. The hawks couldn't stand for that, so GoW was formed. (literally, that's how it happened, the hawk party of the first demogame formed specifically to counter what we saw as team DIA)

To be honest, we had no reason to even BE in that game. An absolute atrocity of Civ III playing begun that game with extremely boneheaded city management early as we tried a unique government under GhengisFarb. It was decided to 'play for real now', and Panzer32 turned it all around, followed by Aggie. Master Zen took over and made certain choices that still irk me...

Then there was Tabemono & Lost Boys, then in Civ 4 there was Sarantium, Calysium, and finally Templars - where I was so burned out that I just was a lurker, and was fortunate enough to not be involved in all the drama. Oh, and forgot to mention the various intersite games where I was on the Poly team.

Tabemono was the last Civ III demogame team I played on Poly. Togas, Kloreep, and myself formed Team Merc on MZO, which turned into Kloreep managing the team during peace time and myself during war time. That proved a potent combo.

Civ IV saw me re-create Team Merc, with me as the primary player. It's too bad that game was not a pangea. Followed by Team Pirate in the doomed warlords game (pitboss experiment). And a casual observer of the rabbits in the BTS game.

Civ IV saw me re-create Team Merc, with me as the primary player. It's too bad that game was not a pangea.

QFT. :nod:

Just imagine how much more interesting that game would have been.

QFT. :nod:

Just imagine how much more interesting that game would have been.

I doubt Ill ever play in a Demo Game that's not a Pangea ever again.

I doubt Ill ever play in a Demo Game that's not a Pangea ever again.

the Lake map is fun also.

The "Harovan's Hell" game would make an interesting demo game.

Small, toroidal, highlands.

AS long as everyone is on one continent, Im a happy guy

The "Harovan's Hell" game would make an interesting demo game.

Small, toroidal, highlands.

The BURKes Law game might have been a decent demogame too. At the very least the human teams weren't all packed right next to each other... ;)

PTWDG was an interesting one. I was on the Lego team, another bunch of builders who did not know what the hell we were doing. Unlike Roleplay team, though, we drew probably the best start in the game, an isolated start with the medium-sized continent to itself. Meanwhile, Vox and Gathering Storm got screwed, put together on the smallest of the three continents. Lego built and built until the mean survivors of the main continent's dogpile came over and declared war - apparently our whole Optimal City Placement thing offended them. (Or maybe they wanted to win the game or something silly like that. ;))

Tabemono... that game was ridiculous. On top of getting handed a great start, we built the Pyramids and buildered the hell out of the early game. :D Meanwhile, some of our neighbors did us the favor of beating each other up as I recall. We didn't get to do all we could have in that game, but we did have some Rider hordes before it closed.

The Merc team was an interesting one, I wish that had worked out better; but with only two neighbors it was a bit of an odd situation. I see I missed a few expansion games after I pretty much went AWOL back in the Civ4 Merc team, but it sounds like that was somewhat for the best?

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, certainly some nostalgia from all those Apolyton DGs, Donald. ;) But it depends on the game whether you come away with nostalgia, some turn out nasty like the C3CDG (what Rhoth calls the Paddy Screws Everyone game) which is probably the worst demogaming experience I've had. But this one, I have a good feeling about. :)

PTWDG was an interesting one. I was on the Lego team, another bunch of builders who did not know what the hell we were doing. Unlike Roleplay team, though, we drew probably the best start in the game, an isolated start with the medium-sized continent to itself. Meanwhile, Vox and Gathering Storm got screwed, put together on the smallest of the three continents. Lego built and built until the mean survivors of the main continent's dogpile came over and declared war - apparently our whole Optimal City Placement thing offended them. (Or maybe they wanted to win the game or something silly like that. ;))

I remember we of Vox couldn't believe it when Lego fell. It wasn't so much that you fell, it was that half your empire went away in a single turn.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, certainly some nostalgia from all those Apolyton DGs, Donald. ;) But it depends on the game whether you come away with nostalgia, some turn out nasty like the C3CDG (what Rhoth calls the Paddy Screws Everyone game) which is probably the worst demogaming experience I've had. But this one, I have a good feeling about. :)

I think that game was the worst demogame experience for everyone who played in it. I know it was my worst, even above the MZODG (where our capital city was decent but surrounded on two sides by jungle and swamp, the third by water and the fourth by a big plain). I left the C3CDG before it got really ugly, but Paddy had already screwed our team by betraying us right after a lengthy alliance talk concluded. I think that was even worse because I had just been booted from a somewhat long-running Pitboss game in which I got screwed by BigFree about 3/4 of the way through a 60 turn non-aggression pact (I had a very poor starting location...a two city island...but had started turning it around and was cleaning out the last of E_T's lands when BigFree attacked me about 45-50 turns into the 60 turn NAP. Almost all my units were on the other side of my lands and needed ferrying by boats to get to the warzone).

But it depends on the game whether you come away with nostalgia, some turn out nasty like the C3CDG (what Rhoth calls the Paddy Screws Everyone game) which is probably the worst demogaming experience I've had.

Without a doubt the worst I ever had. Especially that crap with the Planet DL and Ming and Paddy, etc. It was that experience and some RL 'stresses' at the time that made me just walk from civ and Poly for awhile, and some 20 pbem games I had on the go. Did not endear me to some people - for obvious reasons.

But this one, I have a good feeling about. :)

:nod: :b:

Ya, lots of good, some bad, but more good overall I think.

Plus, this group here is a good group. We may not agree, but we are all good people and even in the disagreement we are all buds.

Ya, lots of good, some bad, but more good overall I think.

Yep, more good. Lots of fun memories from most of the demogames I've joined.

Plus, this group here is a good group. We may not agree, but we are all good people and even in the disagreement we are all buds.

As long as you remember that I'm right and everyone else isn't... :cute:

I remember a game where I started at a Monty Python team. Was this the C3CDG? I know I started as turnplayer and played until we declared war on the team Monkeys, as far as I remember. Then I was pretty much exhausted and not only that, deeply dissatisfied with C3C as a whole, so I left not only that game, but temporarily the Civ community. I played mainly CRPGs and MMORPGs for several years and only now returned to Civ. That's why I have only little experience with Civ4.

That was the PTWDG2 (the one with Tabemono). As I recall each team was supposed to have a silly concept. You were Monty Python, Beta and Con were the Monkeys and Klo, UnO, Godking and I were part of the food team (Tabemono). Then there were the Latin Lovers (MZ's team), Team Sunshine (including hawks like BigFree) and one other based on the Iraqi information minister (don't remember the name). The problem with that game was that Panzer32 sucked badly at map design and the starts were incredibly unbalanced (even worse than Chieftess' MZODG map). It was the PTWDG1 all over again with the unbalanced starts even though with a mapmaker it shouldn't have been.

Yep, I wanted to smack the sh1t out of Panzer after that game :)

Welcome Proviisori, a long time civver and former teammate (back in Sarantium days).

Word of warning Provii, only I get to talk about beating team members in old PBEMs. You don't get to talk about the times you beat me. ;)

It's good to be here.

The smell in this room is quite familiar (might be Con?).

The smell of home.

I understand, Rhoth. I will not tarnish your spotless reputation as unbeaten master of Civ.

I will console myself on possibility to see you as my enemy when CiV hits the stores.

:)

It's good to be here.

The smell in this room is quite familiar (might be Con?).

The smell of home.

I understand, Rhoth. I will not tarnish your spotless reputation as unbeaten master of Civ.

I will console myself on possibility to see you as my enemy when CiV hits the stores.

:)

:nod:

Of course I should not come empty handed.

This is my souvenir from Japan to Beta.

a0cf7b8590291bf930c8c83d43456022.jpg

Enjoy!

They do like their baseball over there, don't they. :D