vyeh

[CMN Academy] Call for CMNs

75 posts in this topic

Alinestra Covelia has indicated an interest in learning how to CMN.

There was also interest from two people in the thread started by Mart.

Darsnan has agreed to help in this endeavor, especially for the advanced topics.

This is my idea of the curriculum.

(1) Generating a multiplayer game using an existing map. This is the bare minimum to set up a game. After you finished this segment, you'd be able to find the modified vet's map and create a vanilla multiplayer game. You would know how to avoid the common bug of having incorrect difficulty levels.

(2) Generating a multiplayer game using a randomly generated map. After you finish this segment, you would be able to set up a game on a map you generated randomly. We'd cover choosing starting locations and start using the map editor.

(3) Boosting the AI. This is a Darsnan specialty. We'd cover ways to make the AI's more interesting for the players. There would be more extensive use of the map editor and we'd start modifying the aphax.txt and faction files.

(4) Custom maps. I hope to get Russia4Life involved at this point.

(5) Advanced topics. Depends on what you want.

At this point, I'd like to see who is interested and get feedback on the curriculum.

Hi vyeh,

I might be a bit some kind of a fresh fish in the area of setting up games (1 in my record, but with flaws) but I'm willing to learn more.

I'd be happy to join the course if my application is looked favorably upon.

Alinestra is indeed still interested in learning to CMN.

Two more exams to go. I'll be free on Wednesday.

Welcome, Bodissey. I was thinking about you when I set up this thread.

Which game did you set up?

The issue there was tech sidetrack?

Since the game is on the vet's map and starting locations are posted, I don't think it would hurt anyone if you post the scenario (not the game file) if you still have it.

I could use it as an example and we could figure out why University had all the tech sidetracking.

Sorry, just been released from my parenting chores.

All I get is an Invalid File message when I try to post the scenario file.

Here it is zipped.

multi.zip

Edited by Bodissey

What is a CMN?

Creator Moderator Narator

This is my idea of the curriculum.

(4) Custom maps. I hope to get Russia4Life involved at this point.

How do you want me to be involved? Map making?

P.S. I have no interest in becoming a CMN, even though I already know how to use the scenario editor.

At that point, I want to share your experiences making maps.

:slap: <--- sorry smiley getting slapped with a fish made me laugh so hard I had to share.

Back on topic: OK, I guess that's fine I have no problems sharing anything I learned.

I will give the most important one I learned right now(I think anyone who will ever attempt to make a map with the scenario editor should know this it is a very annoying bug), always generate a random map before you start editing a blank map. There are so many bugs and glitches if you don't it is ridiculous.

P.S. I am still laughing about the smiley being slapped with a fish

I'm interested in learning how to properly CMN. I've actually got an idea for a special kind of game with special scoring, which I will reveal once I'm ready to actually set up a game.

Darsnan got me in the CGN CMN private forum.

I posted a couple of messages and a new thread (on forcing current difficulty).

I'm trying to get bdanv in to have a separate pair of eyes.

There aren't a lot of posts, but there are a few nuggets.

What I like is the idea of a private CMN forum. We could post PWs there as safekeeping (as long as we get Solver to swear that he won't check out the PW's of his fellow players in The Magnificent Seven!:)).

And I wouldn't have to ask that scenario files be emailed to me!

I'd like to get some feedback on the idea of a private forum.

Do we have a list of courses? So far I have seen:

101 - basics

102 - random smax mp game

201 - text file editing

I would start map generation, but I wonder which level. I thought still 100, as it looks for me easier than editing text files. so:

103 - random map generation and editing.

(4) Custom maps.

I think 202 is more appropriate.

Being able to generate a game from a map you've made or modified, e.g. vets map, is easier than creating or modifying a map and then creating a game.

Look at it another way, 101 and 102 don't require the map editor.

Creating maps requires the map editor.

Then advanced topics will have the 300 designation.

That being said, you are welcome to use the 103 designation if you plan to teach the course at the 100 level.

Edited by vyeh

So maybe then map generation will be 202 course. I was planning on covering as much as possible on making a map. Well, maybe below modifying the files in hex editor, but maybe in the future... a 400 course?

Vyeh, you organize topics in CMN Academy, so I will use your advice.

bdanv got in the CMN private forum at CGN. I'll be interested in his reaction.:)

hey guys, what's the structure of CMN training these days? I'd like to start acquiring some of the knowledge you have to share. So, how do we do this?

well, if you make an official request and promise to make good use of the skills you will develop, then i can give you access to the CMN private forum, where you will start your training.