RMcD94

Punishment Sphere (Really Mean AI?)

63 posts in this topic

Is Googlie still around? He was one of the most prolific PBEM players around

He replies to his e-mail (I mailed him a year ago asking if I could use the Scott Allardyce name as a Great General in Planetfall), but hasn't posted in ages. :(

@Misotu: I'm glad it's working for you and yes unofficial patch has CPU check disabled. Actually, what I did in release you're using (which I'm considering a pre-release) is set ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm to 1 inside the code. This was a known solution to solving the crash and by doing this in code made it so folks wouldn't have to edit ini file.

Ah well, if I've understood you correctly then it was something else in the patch that fixed my problem, because I'd already tried the Voxelthingy in the .ini file and that didn't do the magic. Or is it more potent when you set it inside the code? I was wondering whether it was actually that you'd disabled the CPU check itself - or am I just not understanding what the Voxelthingy does? Anyway ... it worked and nothing else did for years. So :unworthy: to your talent for sorting the nonsense out :)

However, after more investigation prompted by this thread I found my initial method isn't the best solution (see thread for more details). In v1.0 I'm posting later today, I've totally redone code to take this into account. So not only will it not crash but you'll also get better performance than you would have with setting ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm. :)

Coo! So I guess with this new version I can simply repatch over the old patch and all will be well? (that's a very hopeful question mark - having just done at least three reinstalls of everything, I can't face more of the same for a while :lol:) And also, as an aside, the game looks great on my huge screen after I used your patch. It looked pretty sad before ...

Ma'am, I like the cut of your jib. :D

That's good because I'm rather proud of my jib myself :D

So Misotu; you lookin' for some MP?

Er ... not on the strength of my first SP try!! :(

Yeah well ... maybe. At some point. When I can remember the first thing about how to play properly ... :eek:

He replies to his e-mail (I mailed him a year ago asking if I could use the Scott Allardyce name as a Great General in Planetfall), but hasn't posted in ages. :(

Well, next time you speak to him please give him my good wishes. And, um, if he fancies facing an old foe and if I can get my game going again ... maybe a PBEM for old time's sake?

Er ... not on the strength of my first SP try!! :(

Yeah well ... maybe. At some point. When I can remember the first thing about how to play properly ... :eek:

i'll be waiting for you in the MP subforum :)

Ah well, if I've understood you correctly then it was something else in the patch that fixed my problem, because I'd already tried the Voxelthingy in the .ini file and that didn't do the magic. Or is it more potent when you set it inside the code? I was wondering whether it was actually that you'd disabled the CPU check itself - or am I just not understanding what the Voxelthingy does? Anyway ... it worked and nothing else did for years. So :unworthy: to your talent for sorting the nonsense out :)

Well, the voxel setting doesn't disable the CPU check just overrides the value it creates. It was probably the disabling of CPU check because even with voxel it could be problematic. Anyway, what matters is it works!

Coo! So I guess with this new version I can simply repatch over the old patch and all will be well? (that's a very hopeful question mark - having just done at least three reinstalls of everything, I can't face more of the same for a while :lol:) And also, as an aside, the game looks great on my huge screen after I used your patch. It looked pretty sad before ...

No reinstall necessary. Just download package here and replace the exe's and that's it. I'd replace or delete the terranx.exe of mine that you already have but for SMAC I'd make a backup of original before coping one in from v1.0 of unofficial patch.

I'd recommend looking at installation notes because there are some other notes about other patches outside of exe. All of them are optional but few like setting voxel setting back to 0 or deleting it are highly recommended.

And here I was, thinking that you were the n00b mentioned in a match against Maniac. :shame:

The first PBEM I ever played was against three small white noobs. I still remember the game quite well in fact, despite being a decade ago.

I was the Consciousness starting on the NE corner of the Freshwater Sea.

Lord Nyarlathotep was playing the Gaians starting on the west coast of the Nexus continent.

A certain fellow named Brian was playing the Drones and started on the other side of the Freshwater Sea, quite close to me. As Domai's the only leader without a known first name, I still think of the Drone leader as "Brian Domai". Brian had to leave the game however at some point and his position was taken over by Googlie.

Jeanette Mathews of the Pirates started to the west of the Drones.

There were also three AIs. The Usurpers started on the Pholus Ridge. I don't remember the other AIs.

The reason I remember the Usurpers is because at some point they declared war on me and advanced at me with overwhelming force. They conquered my base closest to the Pholus Ridge. Fortunately shortly after I was able to rally a small force of nerve gas rovers and decimated their force (and my former base in the process...)

I paid Googlie a sum of credits in exchange for support in the war. Supported by his force of Chaos Needlejets I advanced with ground troops (named the Logic Corps) and conquered the Usurper empire. Unorthodox would have been jealous of this example of mercenary trading between Googlie and me.

Another interesting war (happening before the Usurper war) was with the Gaians. I established a small outpost on the southern coast of the Nexus continent. Nyarlathotep was displeased and demanded I surrendered the base to his control. I refused, stating honestly I had no further expansion plans in his direction except for that small enclave. I just thought it looked cool on the map to have a single outpost on another continent. He declared war and sent some mind worms in my direction. Fortunately I was able to repel his attack with merely a rover and a Unity chopper. I guess people didn't realize back then native lifeforms are lousy combat units... After some time he had to agree to a stalemate, but relationships remained cold for the rest of the game.

Ultimately the end of the game approached. I didn't feel like declaring war on Googlie, who was right next to me and with whom I had cooperated well for the entire game; so we agreed to Transcend together. Thus ends my story of my early rise to n00b pwnage.

So is anyone organising potentially co-operative multi-player games for SMAC nowadays?

I quite hanker for that old esprit de corps ...

So is anyone organising potentially co-operative multi-player games for SMAC nowadays?

I quite hanker for that old esprit de corps ...

why not? chuft was interested in cooperative games if i remember well.

I think she means 2 humans vs 2 humans

When I say "co-op" I mean against the AI.

Yes, I mean 2 humans against 2 humans or whatever - although one of the best co-op games I ever played was a scenario with 6 human players and a seriously beefed up Hive controlled by the AI. It was called "Hive in the Middle" and was excellent fun.