RMcD94

Punishment Sphere (Really Mean AI?)

63 posts in this topic

Appearantly you were working on their nerves then. ;)

Never new Redfred nor Misotu, so don't know how good they were.

Can I ask if you ever played against Maniac in SMAC?

I have never played against Maniac. You can't win a boxing match against God.

Misotu lived in the US while I lived in the UK, and oddly enough she moved to the UK just as I moved back to the US. I think she's intentionally avoiding me. She was the one who got bored one day during the PBEM game and started coming up with all sorts of anagrams of my username - I think a lot of people here are already familiar with those so I won't bore you with the details. One or two made it into the game as landmarks and it was very funny, again, anecdotes that have been recounted many times before.

RedFred was a good guy too. Very helpful with new SMAC strategies, helping me make the (still-incomplete) strategic transitions from single player to multi. I think he was the Cult, and he and Googlie together were putting together a very strong early game.

For a long while, I seem to recall Misotu being the top-ranked multiplayer of SMAC at Poly. It was just luck of the draw that she was my teammate, and I can safely say we should have lost to Googlie and RedFred, but for her high skill level.

:salute: the Poly Old Guard, wherever you got to now! :tear:

And here I was, thinking that you were the n00b mentioned in a match against Maniac. :shame:

Misotu lived in the US while I lived in the UK, and oddly enough she moved to the UK just as I moved back to the US. I think she's intentionally avoiding me. She was the one who got bored one day during the PBEM game and started coming up with all sorts of anagrams of my username - I think a lot of people here are already familiar with those so I won't bore you with the details. One or two made it into the game as landmarks and it was very funny, again, anecdotes that have been recounted many times before.

RedFred was a good guy too. Very helpful with new SMAC strategies, helping me make the (still-incomplete) strategic transitions from single player to multi. I think he was the Cult, and he and Googlie together were putting together a very strong early game.

For a long while, I seem to recall Misotu being the top-ranked multiplayer of SMAC at Poly. It was just luck of the draw that she was my teammate, and I can safely say we should have lost to Googlie and RedFred, but for her high skill level.

:salute: the Poly Old Guard, wherever you got to now! :tear:

Well, well. Here's one of the Poly Old Guard ... and clearly not avoiding you :p

Ah, the good old days when anagrams were landmarks and we could win a game before the nerve gas choppers made it to the helipad ...

Greetings old partner!

Welcome to WPC, Misotu!

I think Ali got herself banned by management recently because she had too much work to do.

She'll be back in a couple of weeks, I think.

Thanks and hi :)

Haven't played SMAC in years ... not sure I can even remember how now :(

do you still have the game?

Yup. And installed on this machine :D

Haven't played SMAC in years ... not sure I can even remember how now :(
Yup. And installed on this machine :D

then, i think you just need some practice. :)

umm.. let me show you the way: we have SP as well as MP resources in here.

what is your interest?

Thinks back to dimly-remembered past ...

Well, I used to be a builder, I remember that. My favourite faction was Peacekeepers, closely followed by Gaians.

Thinks back to dimly-remembered past ...

Well, I used to be a builder, I remember that. My favourite faction was Peacekeepers, closely followed by Gaians.

Wow, Misotu - you were already a legend bordering on myth when I started playing SMAC(X) PBEM back in '02! Welcome!

Lots has happened to the SMAC world since you've left the active arena. CMN such as myself (Googlie was my mentor - you may remember him) have really tweaked the game to enhance the AIs/ give different feels to the game (such as simulating heavy grav worlds, light grav worlds, waterworlds, etc.). If you do get the hankerin' to fire up SMAC again, there are several mods (SMAniaC is probably the best) and lots of scenarios to enjoy.

CGN also has become the Shrine for SMAC (at least IMO), so if you ever want to perform the haj and visit the Shrine to SMAC, then CGN is the place to go for that.

D

Hi Darsnan, pleased to meet you and I remember Googlie very well. One of the nicest guys at Poly and an old friend :)

Can't get over all the greetings and kind messages in just a few hours - the SMAC crowd really are the very friendliest gamers on the net. I've been playing ahem cough Civ IV for a while ... not the same camaraderie at all, sadly

Dunno about a legend and wotnot. I was ok as a builder but, as everyone always points out to me, this is a War Game and Builders Simply Can't Win in the Long Run.

They are right of course :sigh:

Just tried to fire the game up (not that I'm thinking of resurrecting my old addiction, oh no, course not, wot, me?) and it has encountered an error without even running ...

PS Just found the thread with links to patches etc. So will try everything there.

Sheesh. Can't remember if I patched this installation or not. Are there any more recent patches? Guess I'll uninstall, reinstall with whatever patches I can find and see if that does the trick ...

Is Googlie still around? He was one of the most prolific PBEM players around

Edited by Misotu

I posted a big guide to installing the game and setting up all the patches etc. The link's in my sig.

The unofficial patch is probably the only thing you haven't seen before, it fixes a bunch of bugs with the game and patches exploits.

I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to mention this yet, but v1.0 of the unofficial patch is coming in a few days

Sheesh. Can't remember if I patched this installation or not. Are there any more recent patches? Guess I'll uninstall, reinstall with whatever patches I can find and see if that does the trick ...

here is the patching sequence:

Installing SMAC

N.B. If the CDs won't autorun then just open setup.exe on the disc. If that doesn't work check troubleshooting for an alternate solution.

1. If you have the Planetary Pack or Laptop Collection, install both parts of that and skip to step 5
  2. If you own the new sold out software pack, install the games separately and follow the instructions for owning SMAX. This version of the game comes with a form of SecuROM DRM, If you get any weird errors, please post here.
  3. Grab your CD and install SMAC
  4. If you have SMAX, install it now
  5. [if you own the Planetary pack or Laptop pack] Install, in this order, the SMAC Win 2000/XP Update and the unofficial patch.
    Move on to configuring Hamachi
  6. [if you own SMAX] Install, in this order, the Alien Crossfire v2.0 update, the SMAC Win 2000/XP Update and the unofficial patch
    Move on to configuring Hamachi
  7. [if you don't own SMAX] Install, in this order, the SMAC v4.0 Update and the SMAC Win 2000/XP Update.

EDIT: x-posting

Edited by bdanv

Hello Misotu, nice to meet you. I am very new around here.

Maybe you would enjoy joining in the succession game we keep talking about but never start.

Hi chuft, nice to meet you too. I think a succession game might be a bit ... ahem ... early right now but I quite like them so could be up for it if it gets off the ground :)

Thanks bdanv and DrazharLn for the info on installing. Having spent several hours now trying to get the game working, I remembered that I gave up in the end last time. Could get SMAC to run but not SMAX ... it just crashed without even loading no matter what I did. Went through everything again - two reinstalls, searching here and elsewhere on the web. Lots of people out there with my exact problem, no fixes I could find. Tried changing display settings, editing the .ini file etc etc etc ad nauseam.

Finally reinstalled yet again, found it didn't work yet again and, in desperation I'll admit, installed the unofficial patch. And ...

YAROOKS!!

It fired up first time and seems to be playing with no problems. So a zillion thanks for that :b: :b: :b:

Wonderful. Should have tried your patch straight off but was trying to do the old change one thing at a time so you know what the effect is. I was pretty sure by the end that it was the CPU not supported thing - I could press ok and continue with SMAC but with SMAX it didn't even give me the opportunity. I think the patch disables the CPU check? If so, there's a good chance that that was what was needed for my set-up.

@RMcD, i have made an eco-warrior's faction, it's in my Custom Factions, ideas, etc thread (been buried on second page) i'm going to give them a little graphical update sometime soon, so you should see your 'Planet Spartans' soon. (The faction is eco-warrior style, but they are geared towards earth life rather than planetlife i'm afraid)

So Misotu; you lookin' for some MP?

@Misotu: I'm glad it's working for you and yes unofficial patch has CPU check disabled. Actually, what I did in release you're using (which I'm considering a pre-release) is set ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm to 1 inside the code. This was a known solution to solving the crash and by doing this in code made it so folks wouldn't have to edit ini file.

However, after more investigation prompted by this thread I found my initial method isn't the best solution (see thread for more details). In v1.0 I'm posting later today, I've totally redone code to take this into account. So not only will it not crash but you'll also get better performance than you would have with setting ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm. :)

Hello Misotu, nice to meet you. I am very new around here.

Maybe you would enjoy joining in the succession game we keep talking about but never start.

For the record: I'm up for that.

Thanks bdanv and DrazharLn for the info on installing.

No problem. :)

YAROOKS!!

Ma'am, I like the cut of your jib. :D

Hi chuft, nice to meet you too. I think a succession game might be a bit ... ahem ... early right now but I quite like them so could be up for it if it gets off the ground :)..
For the record: I'm up for that.

for all interested: i will post the succession game today in the AC General forum