Heraclitus

Anyone want to live on Alpha Centauri? [RPG]

39 posts in this topic

I've decided to get the book (GURPS Alpha Centauri). Since its unlikley I'm going to find a gamers group in my corner of the old world (my D&D group is already running a campaign and has another one lined up, and the GURPS guys are in Zombieland for the next year), I'm wondering...

Does anyone have any experience with online role playing with GURPS? If so would anyone be interested in playing a few oneshots to see how Chaos Rovers do against your party or how exactly your probe team frames the Belivers for the Universities atrocities? Or even perhaps eventually a longer campaign set in the first years of planetfall or perhaps ~MY2175?

You know you want to.

I just want to say that I haven't RPGed in so long that I don't think this is my personal cup of tea, but I heartily endorse this notion, and praise you for coming up with it, Heraclitus.

You should pester Ali and Mart, as they've both displayed interest in GURPS AC.

Ack, the last thing I need right now is another gaming commitment.

Of course, it's the first thing I want right now :D

What's the format like? I already have a GURPS game going with another group and time is pretty tight.

Ack, the last thing I need right now is another gaming commitment.

Of course, it's the first thing I want right now :D

What's the format like? I already have a GURPS game going with another group and time is pretty tight.

So we may have someone interested in this afterall!!! :D

For anyone else interested:

I was thinking a few oneshots [2-4h] or perhaps a few miniseries [3x1-1,5h] before going into anything serious starting in mid- to late- February right up to summer. No plans for a long campaign before then (so no sooner than next fall, if however anyone was willing to DM the thing I'd be willing to commit on the spot! )

My highly flexible schedule gives me plenty of time anytime except the weekends on a regular basis. Though I prefer it not being in the morning (7.00-12.00) since I would have to skip classes. For reference I'm in CET, but you can approximate GMT (London) to get an idea of what that means for you.

Edited by Heraclitus
Removed excesive smiley icons

I'd be interested as well. (have never actually done any sort of roleplaying like this before, and would be interested in trying it out.)

At the moment I'm unemployed, so have a wide open schedule, but that hopefully will change in the coming months/weeks.

I'd be interested as well. (have never actually done any sort of roleplaying like this before, and would be interested in trying it out.)

At the moment I'm unemployed, so have a wide open schedule, but that hopefully will change in the coming months/weeks.

What kind of roleplaying have you done before? As much as I'd like to have you, if you are doing this first time I think you should go for a live experience rather than something online for your first time. If you have played something like D&D but GURPS I recomend you check out the core rules or even the SMAC book if you have it. :)

I don't have the link handy, but SJGames does a Gurps Lite handbook that's pretty good for beginners.

I count as largely a beginner myself.

I'd be interested, but I'm an absolute beginner. I'll have a browse of GURPS Lite, though, so I can see what I'm getting myself into.

2 newcomer players, 1 GM. Can this work?

How about if we each control two characters for four PCs in total? I'd like to get this off the ground, and I believe having four players is less important for online gaming than it is for face-to-face.

So, how would the game go, anyway? Or, rather, what medium(s) will we use to communicate?

I'm still reading that booklet, the basics seem pleasantly simple.

Just out of curiosity, of course. If you don't think that a complete newbie is a good idea, I'm cool with that.

If complete newbies are not allowed, then I'd have to bow out too. :)

I like the idea. I'd be available to play by IM (my schedule is essentially full, but if you're okay with me working on other stuff at the same time as playing, then I can fit it in). Also, learning by playing is the best way to do it, and if we're all noobs then there's no pressure on anybody.

I guess we're both in then :)

I also have a busy schedule, and that schedule will only become more busy over the next 3 months. I shouldn't be so busy that I can't spare a couple of hours a week for this, though.

IM is fine by me.

I'm in also. I have never played GURPS but I own the Alpha Centauri sourcebook and the GURPS 3rd Ed. Main Rule Book. I'd like to learn and have a plethora of rpg experience. I'll look over my books to let you know about what kind of character I'd like or you can just give us pre-generated ones.

Hmm. He was around in the middle of the day...

Oh come on people... four days... yes its best to proclaim me missing in action. :p

Now if I understand this right Arcainite would like to join as well. :)

:eek: Heraclitus back from the dead! ;)

Looks like we might get this off the ground after all - three players, one GM :woohoo:

I don't have the Alpha Centauri GURPS book. How should I go about making my character?

Also, welcome back ;P

:eek: Heraclitus back from the dead! ;)

Looks like we might get this off the ground after all - three players, one GM :woohoo:

I have a gf, somethimes I can't spend an entire day in the virutal world.

She needs to learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone... :D

She needs to learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone... :D

Innuendo makes me feel good.

I don't have the Alpha Centauri GURPS book. How should I go about making my character?

Also, welcome back ;P

Did you see the link in my other thread? I *think* the guy with the bazilion links has a SMAC character sheet and a few caracter creation docs. I'll post the link here in a min.