Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

Buster's Uncle

WPC links in Wikipedia SMAC(X) articles

63 posts in this topic

Actually, it seems that it was not Vyeh who removed the links to forums. Someone else removed the forum links. Vyeh was actually adding to the content around the WPC link in June 2010 (mentioning the Game of the Month etc).

So yes, this may be annoying, but it wasn't done by Vyeh, it was done by DustFormsWorlds in this edit.

That's the typical can't-leave-anything-alone ineptitude I mentioned. Had to fiddle with the article, attract the aspies' attention and now no SMAC forum gets the recruiting boost.

Not cool.

I don't think that's entirely fair, his edits were logical and improved the article, people were already discussing the thing about the merger anyway.

How about we make this a positive thread.

The reason given for removing the links was given as "External links: removing links per WP:EXTERNAL - external links are for material relevant to an encyclopedic understanding that cannot be integrated into the article,".

I think we can argue that WPC contains information relevant to an encyclopaedic understanding of the topic of SMAC. The trick is to make the article discuss something that we're a part of.

For example, you could add a section about the continued development of the game and talk about the unofficial patch and about the GotMs. A section on multiplayer gaming could mention the lack of an in game match-making facility and talk about CMNs (a topic that certainly should be covered in an encyclopaedia, it's an intriguing and quite unusual setup).

Don't make this about individuals. Long term grudges are one of the worst features of established internet communities, and it does not flatter WPC to see them expressed.

Excuse me, sir; are you pretending that I'm the problem?

You know, Buncle, I am the most spiteful guy of all the people I know.

But I have learnt that you are for sure the most touchy of my internet 'relatives'.;)

So, NO, the guy didn't say you are the problem!

Vishniac is right; I wasn't saying you were the problem.

I'm saying that we should just accept that the link is gone and look for ways to get it back up.

WikiAdmins have become militant over deleting any link that heads towards a forum. We're not the only ones to suffer, topics all over WP are having forum links deleted.

Unfortunately, those forums are usually where the best/most information is held on the topic.

That is not what happened to the SMAC article though. This is a case of vyeh's vengeance and self-promotion. He removed all but one WPC links, and added CGN links instead. Also the only mod he mentions is the unofficial patch.

There are two consistent ways to deal with modding in the article.

1) Either leave out all mention altogether. This means the unofficial patch promotion and all CGN links should be removed as well, as has already been done to the WPC links and Planetfall link.

2) Do mention certain SMAC-related mod projects. In that case however it seems most logical to mention the most popular mods throughout SMAC's history. That would above all be Planetfall - which has been downloaded 100 times more [*100, not +100] than the unofficial patch - and after that things like the network node factions or Aldebaran. In any case not the unofficial patch.

Just make sure the links point to download sections and not to the actual forums and it should be all right, as long as there is a section on mods and gotm in the article.

SO-

Anyone have any idea what to do about this? I think the argument that forums are a source for further information is more than valid. I further note that if I'd done the community the grave disservice of attracting attention that got the links removed, I'd be interested in making amends, if I could. Any ideas?

My thoughts on this are this - one of the biggest reasons why anyone would be looking for an active site for SMAC is to multiplay. Let's use that. Someone previous said to mention and explain the cmn program, and that we should. Create a section named 'multiplayer' and just explain the different forms of a problems with multiplayer,then reference WPC. That can be as simple as the following:

Since there are no dedicated servers or match making program for the game, finding multiplayer opponents can sometimes be difficult. Many players seek out forums and sites dedicated to SMAC multiplayer matchmaking such as WPC etc. This gives players both a community to discuss and learn about the game but also facilitates multiplayer games.

That way we 1) add new content and 2) have a legitimate claim to being linked. Dunno, that's my dos centavos.

Since there are no dedicated servers or match making program for the game, finding multiplayer opponents can sometimes be difficult. Many players seek out forums and sites dedicated to SMAC multiplayer matchmaking such as WPC etc. This gives players both a community to discuss and learn about the game but also facilitates multiplayer games.

well, that's more than 2 cents. it's a start. :b:

still, GameRanger it's a matching program and it works fine for XP users. we should consider that as well..