bdanv

Saving GotM: is someone willing to help?

142 posts in this topic

Eventually I'll get back to you, though.

@zsozso: we'll be here waiting for you.

:bounce:

we can use some help for the fiction. read_book.gif

Ali, we miss you :please:

cool_shades.gif i know you're here!

someone else?

Ali, we miss you :please:

I'm sorry, I know I volunteered for several scenarios, but there have been changes aplenty in recent weeks. (New job, new fiancé, new house.) I'm going to have to defer to somebody else and get back when I can, if ever.

Good luck to all!

thanks Ali!

the GotM door will be always open for you. yes.gif

I had an experience in a recent game that might make for a good scenario.

I was playing the University and I was sharing a humongous continent with the Fremen, who are good with worms. Due to bad luck with the initial (random) research I did not get formers for a long time. As a result I had no solar panels, and little energy, and much slower research than I thought I would have. The lack of energy also meant little money for building maintenance which crimped my building of facilities.

Long story short, the Fremen beat me to building Xenoempathy Dome. I should mention here that I like playing on huge random worlds with abundant native life forms. The result was something of a nightmare, as his cities were very far away, but he could travel like lightning through the abundant fungus, in which he was hidden, and pop out almost anywhere (the continent wrapped all the way around the world), east or west, with large attack forces. If I tried to push back, the fungus often stopped me cold, or worse, I ran into native life forms, or was ambushed in the fungus by his troops that I could not see. Attempts to clear the fungus or build sensor arrays close to the front were hampered by the fact he would destroy my formers with airpower or just with units popping out of the fungus. His rovers could move three squares through the fungus (unseen) and then attack at full strength.

It really felt like fighting the Viet Cong, I was ok so long as I stuck to my cities but anytime I ventured into the "fungus jungle" I was apt to be ambushed by a far more nimble enemy, and he could disappear into the fungus at will and pop out anywhere to attack. It really was brutal, I don't think I've ever suffered so much from having an enemy AI get to a secret project before I could. It did make for a thoroughly enjoyable game. I was using my mod which gives the AI cheap SAM rovers with good armor, which made it very hazardous for me to try to use needlejets, as any plane which ended the turn in the air got shot down by one of his swarming SAM rovers in the fungus. It was a real challenge to hold a line somewhere, I finally managed to build a bunker in front of a contested city and stock it with ECM infantry and some of my own rovers which could be used for spoiling attacks when he got close. Eventually I managed to get copters and became able to kill his units from the air and then land before he could bring his SAMs to bear. It was a hell of a fight but I managed in the end to push forward and eventually take the city containing the Xenoempathy Dome. According to the Command Nexus he lost over 700 of those SAM rovers by the time the war finally ended.

Anyway it might make an interesting scenario. Imagine this: the world is initially a waterworld, or else suffers from global warming. The Solar Shade has been deployed and the seas have fallen drastically, leaving six factions on small but heavily terraformed islands in a "sea" of low altitude fungus where the ocean used to be. Lurking in that enveloping fungus jungle is Cha Dawn, in possession of the Xenoempathy Dome, with many fungal towers acting as bastions against those who would try to penetrate the fungus to attack him. His forces can move rapidly and invisibly in the fungus and pop out anywhere on the edge of civilization to attack his enemies. To win, you have to take the Xenoempathy Dome, which in this situation would make you the master of Planet.

If you haven't fought on a fungusy world against an enemy with the Xenoempathy Dome, it is definitely something to try. It is a game I will never forget, that's for sure!

chuft, you're my hands-down candidate for "top newb" for this month. :bb:

interesting idea, chuft. thumbs_up1.gif

do yo have experience with building maps/scenarios?

Very interesting. Worthy of a proper writeup perhaps. I look forward to such a GotM if you decide to run it (I'm queueing them up for when I get time, I will play them :)).

interesting idea, chuft. thumbs_up1.gif

do yo have experience with building maps/scenarios?

Unfortunately, no experience whatsoever.

At the moment I am working on the Cthulhoids faction. Just about done with the graphics....

...A thing the team could really, REALLY, use is another writer. I'm willing to do the lion's share of the the actual writing if I must, but I need someone to talk story with. My teammates, God bless 'em are not too bad with ideas, but I'm afraid they're fairly useless for talking story. Is there anyone out there who fancies they know their way around fiction writing and could help?

I'm just not a solitary writer and I need a peer to talk to and help keep me motivated. The writing's more stressful for me than it has to be. I personally find kicking it around with someone an enormous amount of fun. Help!

Again, I have no real time and will have no real time to invest in this for a long time. However, that is not to say that I can't give you a little of my time.

I've not written much, but I think I can help you. I'm willing to have ideas bounced off me, but I really cannot sacrifice much of my time to this, in a few months time (read late July) I'll have much more time, and I hope that I'll be a lot less stressed then too.

Email me any time, I respond to that faster than fora.

...What I need is to be able to build off what the others are talking about. Pasting stuff into emails to get you up to speed would be too cumbersome. If you were willing to follow what we're working on when we are working on something, comment when the spirit moved you and talk to me about the writing when I need it, that might really help me and not cost you a lot of time. Sound good?

Thanks. I'll see about getting you added to the view list, then.

Draz, the GotM folder should be visible to you now - have at it and have a good time.

Looking forward to our collaboration, Draz!

...A thing the team could really' date=' REALLY, use is another writer. I'm willing to do the lion's share of the the actual writing if I must, but I need someone to talk story with. My teammates, God bless 'em are not too bad with ideas, but I'm afraid they're fairly useless for talking story. Is there anyone out there who fancies they know their way around fiction writing and could help?

I'm just not a solitary writer and I need a peer to talk to and help keep me motivated. The writing's more stressful for me than it has to be. I personally find kicking it around with someone an [i']enormous [/i]amount of fun. Help!

Like Draz (was it?) I have less time than usual on my hands right now, but things will get better by, perhaps, autumn. Eithre way, I think I might be able to help with the story parts, at least as it's on the level of kicking things around. I could do some scribbling too, but since English isn't my first language someone would have to check it for peculiarities.

Yes, a little bit. I don't know how much, but if you tell me what you'd like me to help out with I could give it a try. I'm more of a reader than a writer, but maybe that isn't too bad?