bdanv

Saving GotM: is someone willing to help?

142 posts in this topic

Mart, zsozso, I'd like to see you guys volunteer. If you wanted to be on the GOTM folder list, we'd only ask that you look in when you're around and contribute to the discussion when you can. Any obligations assumed would be up to you.

Has anybody done a putative* scenario based on the three "revolt factions"? We know the Consciousness broke off from the University, and the Angels broke off from Morgan. The Drones broke off from some other faction, but which one is unclear (strong hints of the Hive).

Maybe a scenario setting these factions in their Wars For Independence might work? You could either make the rebel faction the sympathetic one (a la Star Wars, or U.S. portrayals of the American Revolution) or have the player take the reins of the embattled original faction and uphold the loyalist banner (a la Shakspeare's Henry IV or Milton's Paradise Lost).

This would be very interesting. Maybe something like this:

- Scenario 1: 2101 till faction split. The objective would be to build as strong/large as possible a original faction in limited number of turns or other limit. Maybe 50-80 turns would work well. Start might also be enhanced by multiple colony pods/ planetfall locations. The best submission or other selected would be the base for the next two scenarios.

- Scenario 2: Independence declaration - Rebels to power. A player would obtain a fragment of original faction that wants to form a separate one. To make the game a bit more challenging, split faction would be somewhat weaker, maybe even lacking few techs, prototyped weapons, etc. The objective would be to survive in certain number of turns, conquer motherland, sign treaties/pacts with other factions that initially would be hostile to rebels. The could be some non-standard victory points system too.

- Scenario 3: Like previously, but Rebels are stronger this time and a player gets to play motherland. Objectives - survive, crash rebelion, time/turns limit also?

- Scenario 4, anything else that might be created after 2 and 3.

Other ideas, the game might be on no-wrap map, just a fragment of the planet, so only the faction of interest and like 3 other neighbors are in the scenario. This way there is room for splinter faction/s.

i guess this means you are willing to enter the GotM staff room.. :)

I still think that GOTM success is by attracting players with shorter games, that time input and micromanagement is not that overwhelming.

Is it that gotms are downloaded, then not many submitt finished games? I think it is mostly people start games and then do not finish them.

Well, this alone is somewhere you can contribute- Ali and I tend to think big...

I believe the problem up to now is that things haven't been that active. The potential player base checking the forum regularly has grown, and I hope participation won't be a problem.

We're taking some new promotional initiatives, too...

the way i see it, a shorter scenario means using objectives and lots of fine tuning and playtesting. it can be done but we certainly need more help for that.

Yes, I can be part of GOTM stuff. :)

:woohoo:

Is it that gotms are downloaded, then not many submitt finished games? I think it is mostly people start games and then do not finish them.

Hey! It's not just "Start, play and finish" when Darsnan makes scenarios where you must play 10 times to find the way to win...:D

I think the path we're on promises a lot of variety- but we should definitely throw in some killer scenarios for you...

If a scenario has a turn limit and can be played in let's say 3 evenings, then it would be easy to play test. And always, any genuine idea of a player to achieve something in turn limit would be interesting.

we definitely need a time limit on the February game as the time for playtesting is limited

You should be seeing the GOTM folder shortly after Dale turns up next. Something short here and there sounds like a good idea.

Mart, you should be able to see the forum now..

***EDIT***

BUncle is moving too fast for me.. or maybe i'm too tired

Hey! It's not just "Start, play and finish" when Darsnan makes scenarios where you must play 10 times to find the way to win...:D

Ok, but part of gotm is competition. What I like about civ4 gotm (civfanatics) is that there is system working with lost games. One Deity gotm (botm 22), I remember, was won only by 3 players. Take a look:

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/results/index.php?month=70022

Over 40 submissions, but mostly around 100 people submits games.

Over 40 submissions, but mostly around 100 people submits games.

we won't have that many for sure! this is still a 10 years old game. ..or maybe 11?

In this botm 22 most players lost, and how much they lost was ranking them, it still counted. there is one attempt only. That's true, around 60 usual participants even did not try. I think difficult games here could work the same.

Mart, if you'd go poke around the GOTM folder and do what comes naturally....

Mart' date=' if you'd go poke around the GOTM folder and do what comes naturally....[/quote']

You mean civfanatics gotm?

I look forward to your input.

How much do you know about interlude triggers? You can answer in the Pravin thread when you're up to speed...

I had worked on a scenario last year that would make a good GOTM material, but it is still not finished -- unfortunately recently RL got in the way of my SMACing, so I have not made any progress for a long time... Eventually I'll get back to you, though. Maybe for the March or April slot if no-one else comes up with anything before. So, do not reserve the spot for me just yet, but I do have something in the pipe.

Join the team and you can get help. Again,

If you wanted to be on the GOTM folder list, we'd only ask that you look in when you're around and contribute to the discussion when you can. Any obligations assumed would be up to you.
I've been advocating the Middle Earth scenario as a posibility...