bdanv

Saving GotM: is someone willing to help?

142 posts in this topic

well, we are here now. this is, still, the best place to be if you're a SMACer.

we are the most active on topic forum here, so we have the attention of the admins (even if sometimes they forget to answer a simple question) and they support us.

of course, it could have been better if it wasn't for the 'wars', but not necessary on the MP side..

Has anybody done a putative* scenario based on the three "revolt factions"? We know the Consciousness broke off from the University, and the Angels broke off from Morgan. The Drones broke off from some other faction, but which one is unclear (strong hints of the Hive).

Maybe a scenario setting these factions in their Wars For Independence might work? You could either make the rebel faction the sympathetic one (a la Star Wars, or U.S. portrayals of the American Revolution) or have the player take the reins of the embattled original faction and uphold the loyalist banner (a la Shakspeare's Henry IV or Milton's Paradise Lost).

Another consideration is whether any special scripting needs to be done to enhance gameplay. The factions' own inherent differences are pretty dramatic over the long run, but in the short span of a tactical rather than strategic scenario, it might be better to exaggerate their differences with in-game alterations.

I'm so far out of scenbuilding for SMAX I can't even remember - does the game have the equivalent of the "events.txt" file back in Civ2?

*(is "putative" even the right word? Maybe I just mean "hypothetical". One of the first signs of ageing is misapplying words out of context and napalm.)

This sounds great. This sounds like it could fill up several months worth of GOTMs, in fact. The idea of interlinked independent scenarios done in a series appeals to me; each month could be a "story" set in the same continuity. This is an idea for a direction that would fit the bill beautifully.

Ali, let's not get any more specific than this yet- we're still hoping for that private venue...

Edited by Buster's Uncle
I'm a grammar nazi

Is it possible to code scenario B to look at savegame A for inputs? E.g. If you complete Scenario A in a certain way, then save it, Scenario B will look at the savegame to see how you did it?

It would be cool if you could customize later scenarios to take into account what you did in earlier ones.

My guess would be no, but it's only a guess.

It would be cool... If possible, we'd need to figure out how to structure it so it worked both that way and as a standalone, too. That would be key if we're not just doing it for Vishniac...

Edited by Buster's Uncle
I'm a grammar nazi

That would be key if we're not just doing it for Vishniac...

Yeah! The worst thing I could say is: I HOPE not having enough time to play it (meaning I would have got a good job). Anyway, you don't do it just for me (as I feel a little SMAC-demotivated these weeks, except PBEMs) but once the download is available here, everybody can come and pick it up.

That said: yes, some mini-series with interactive input would be great. No more "let's just finish this game quick!" but "I'd better get this or that if I don't want to get crushed next one".

And don't take personal my former post! It's just that I like people to take their responsibilities, even for a mere PBEM, and once I begin to pounce, I fire in full auto. :D

It ain't no big thing. I acknowledge that I've done some harm in the past and I'm sorry for it. I want to be friends with everyone I can and do my bit to make my online home as great as it can be.

I want you to speak up always about GOTM stuff, cause you are our core audience and your input really matters. We need it. I think we've got a good directional concept going now, and your endorsement helps me feel confident about it.

Putative means supposedly, BTW

Say, speaking of splinter factions- I've got 15 extra available. I made an alternate graphic for every single official faction- the Gaians twice. Some of them have a good deal of backstory already created. I especially have a lot worked out about the Aboriginal Australian woman, Cathy Bennalong, who I put in charge of the alt. Planet Cult, the Rainbow Warriors.

One thing it would tickle me to get out of this GOTM project as a fringe benefit is to get a few of my factions into people's hands...

I think good custom factions are definitely a draw for any mod/scenario that has them, besides. The new factions were my favorite part of SMAniaC, after all- and what led to my joining the inline community...

What "private venue" are we talking about? Like a member-protected hidden thread for modmakers or somesuch?

Something along those lines. We asked for a hidden forum. See the SMAC section content thread in Site, where I'm going to post something snotty of I don't see some sort of response before I go to bed.

Better yet, why don't you bump it? That'll get attention, and Solver's support for sure.

I'm sure they have their reasons. Forums are constantly-changing places, mods usually juggle commitments.

It's not like we're holding back a massive beta release waiting on a hidden forum either. (Though dammit I wish I could be in a position to say that!)

Edit: before I fully commit, I guess I really should go and play all of Darsnan's GOTMs just to get an idea of the shoes we're filling. Man, looks like I'm going to be playing some sweet, sweet SMAC for a while. :)

Edited by Alinestra Covelia

I wouldn't be a bit surprized if they have their reasons. I don't have to like it, though.

With idea of of a chapter-y epic about rebellion, I'm rarein' to get on it while I my enthusiasm holds out- and we've got two weeks left to slap the first together. :excited:

If you want, I could invite you all to google wave, then you could communicate through that. I think it would be well suited to your needs.

It's private, but you can add as many recepients/contributors as you want, you can add attachments, you can have multiple threads (just start a new wave).

If you want an invite, send me an email (click on my username) and I'll email you one. I've still got 25 invites left, so it's not as if they're in limited supply.

We could work via PMs- though Dan and I don't like PMs- or email, too. But it would just be more convenient to have a folder right here for it. Here is where we already are. The easier, the better.

I'd really rather not have to. bdanv seems to dislike PMs even more than I.

Still, if we can't get some sort of answer today, we probably ought to get started working. Dan?

We could work via PMs- though Dan and I don't like PMs- or email' date=' too. But it would just be more convenient to have a folder right here for it. Here is where we already are. The easier, the better.[/quote']

Or, the best, GOOGLE WAVE.

RMcD, if you want an invite, just send me an email or PM me your email address and I'll send you one.

If you want, I could invite you all to google wave, then you could communicate through that. I think it would be well suited to your needs..

we have our private forum now. anyway, thx for the offer!

..Unfortunately, I don't have nearly enough time to help.
Got it. I've always wanted to try my hand at AAR's.

there are many ways to help, like having an original scenario idea, promoting the GotM.. posting comments in the monthly threads, AARs, pictures etc.

also, joining the staff of the GotM means the you won't be able to make submissions to the GotM competition. and right now we are as low as we can be on the submissions :eek:

..Edit: before I fully commit, I guess I really should go and play all of Darsnan's GOTMs just to get an idea of the shoes we're filling. Man, looks like I'm going to be playing some sweet, sweet SMAC for a while. :)

i see Ali is willing to go through Darsnan's scenarios and i hope she has the time for that. this will be a good opportunity to bump those threads.

I can help by playing the things? Sure :p

I'll do that.

Good man.

You absolutely can help that way. Just report back your impressions, thoughts, ideas or whatever in the thread for the particular GOTMs, or more general observations here. I know I'm especially curious about the appeal of the GOTMS, so we can do what works best for the audience.

Vish, some words about anything you DIDN'T like in previous GOTMS mught help, too.

Vish' date=' some words about anything you DIDN'T like in previous GOTMS mught help, too.[/quote']

Nothing I can think of.

I like the game, the scenarios were interesting and not easy at all. What else?

I don't like Zip files but manage to work with Winrar or something like that.

Don't forget everytime to tell what to put in which folder, especially when there are several files!

Aren't you the one who said he was interested in custom factions if they were included in scenarios? It will come as no surprise that I'm pushing mine a little.

My whole thing about new factions as a user is that they do a lot to make the game fresh again.