bdanv

Saving GotM: is someone willing to help?

142 posts in this topic

Yeah, i know, the santa hat's a bit garish, will have to change it...

The thought did cross my mind...

Dan, Dale has respondd and asked for more details. I answered, but I'm sure the President of SMAC can do better.

Hi all, sorry i've been a bit absent, 'RL' has been hassling me with a hard combo of work , social commitments and illness :(

Anyhow should be more available now, so anything you want me to have a crack at, give me a shout...

thanks for the support Larrin. i hope you're in good health now.

we need a house (private forum) for the GotM staff first. let's see if the admins can provide one for us.

..I answered' date=' but I'm sure the President of SMAC can do better.[/quote']

done. don't know if it's better though.

Edited by bdanv

Well, you're the one in charge- somebody has to be- and you know what you want. I'm happy to contribute, but I'm not the guy to call the shots. I'm sure your answer is better.

well, let's wait for the answer now. i got the feeling it will come tomorrow.

Well, you're a writer. A good one, I hear- (I know you're fluent, aand lees typo-prone than I, and I really need to go dig up "Joe".) Someone good at devising plots can be invaluable in scenario creation.

(OMG. I've been thinking your avatar was a woman for two days and now I see it's Johnny Depp! That is too funny.)

It is possible (though unlikely) that you love him as much as I do.

If you do, then I fully understand. He's one of those actors who's so dishy I'd imagine he even makes men look twice.

I'm pretty decent at the odd graphic as well.

I'm actually quite fond of the Depp. I have the loutish straight guy's deep-rooted urge to beat him up for being so pretty, but he won me over a long time ago by being very very good in everything I've ever seen him in. (Are you old enough to remenber 21 Jump Street? It was an awful idea for a show- dumb and pandering- but they really put some lipstick on that pig. He was very good in that. And OH, so young and pretty. If you ain't seen the show, you gotta track it down.)

Dan? She IS pretty decent at the odd graphic.

..I'm pretty decent at the odd graphic as well.
..Dan? She IS pretty decent at the odd graphic.

what is this odd graphic you're talking about? my english skills are refusing to help me on this. :blush:

Oh, sorry. She means she knows her way around a graphics program- I assume done some RONTAP graphics. I know she can knock out good avatars in a hurry. So she's the total package on the story end- and doesn't she have CMN training, so we know she can use the scenario editor?

Urm, she's good at doing a small number of graphics. Like, if you have a graphic still to do, send it her way, but not lots.

Yeah, that's what odd means anyway.

So she's the total package on the story end- and doesn't she have CMN training, so we know she can use the scenario editor?

yes, she has. :b:

@Ali: thanks for the support.

Urm, she's good at doing a small number of graphics. Like, if you have a graphic still to do, send it her way, but not lots.

Yeah, that's what odd means anyway.

Well, in this context, more like have done a few; not at all useless at it.

I would bet that with her fertile imagination Ali could turn out fantastic scenarios on her own if we could get her to try it....

You ninja'd me...
She's the ninja. :nod:

:huh:

Always in ghost mode, and don't tell me you missed the admittedly racist avatars I did the other day.

Perhaps Vishniac could comment about why he likes GOTM's so much. That might give us insight' date=' and may even provide some useful blurbs or something.

Vish? We need your help.[/quote']

It has to do with a good scenario/story, something sci-fi, and an unknown map. Also some strange units and some changes in tech tree/facilities like Darsnan did are refreshing.

A good challenge but more like "finding the good key for the hole" than "everybody gangs up on you with units you can't match until 200 turns later".

I'd like to have scenarios revolving around some objective or victory condition (economic? It's seldom asked).

As for my motivation, it has to do with the PBEMs.

Battle Royale has resumed and should go smoothly.

White Rainbow is slow...

We Play SMAC is now at one turn/month!!:mad: Xmas holidays don't explain everything. My last turns were December 20 and November 17!!!

And, for the last two, we're talking about games in the 2120/2130 timeframe. It's not like it takes one hour to play, and the less we play the more we need time to remember what it was about.

So: motivation for PBEMs ==> motivation for GOTMs.:doitnow!:

Well, this is good food for thought. So you're talking about something like the Borehole Cluster scenario from Firaxis?

(I wonder if you ought to maybe start a thread in MP and get some discussion going about the timeliness of turn churn issues... Doubt it will do much good, but it could be worth trying. You never know.)

Well' date=' this is good food for thought. So you're talking about something like the Borehole Cluster scenario from Firaxis?[/quote']Never played. I should probably.

(I wonder if you ought to maybe start a thread in MP and get some discussion going about the timeliness of turn churn issues... Doubt it will do much good, but it could be worth trying. You never know.)
Like beating a dead horse to make it go forward?

There is also your (plural "you" here) own little inter-forum wars, not to talk about the intra-forum ones, and people fleeing one to found another then again and again, and their vendettas with X or Y or the mods... I don't know about but I had enough of my share of that on other forums not to put myself into it on a game forum.

And also people starting games then leaving without news. Like: "Hey, it's just a game, no need to take 2 min to post that I'm out, they'll have to live with that".

Well...I stop here, but you understand. If you're looking for someone ANGRY to kick some butts, just call me! But beware not to be on the receiving end somehow! That explains why I don't post on Off Topic too: on political and social topics, I am just a killer, and I don't want to start fights about it with people I like here on SMAC.

:mad::mad::mad:

Well Vish, I'm doing what I can to make amends for any unfortunate collateral damage to be laid at my door.

You speak to one reason MP has never appealed to me- it's just too slow. But Dan will not love us if we go on about it.

You know, I'm a very angry guy myself, but it's not who I strive to be. I hear you and think I totally understand, though. I've found that sometimes people can reach a better understanding if they're willing to get into difficult issues and carefully explain themselves to each other- thus my suggestion. It's possible better ideas for dealing with the lag could come out of it. Not likely, maybe, but if I was you I think I'd want to try.