RMcD94

Alpha Centauri 2

31 posts in this topic

What do you want to see in Alpha Centauri 2? If you make them nice and easy bullet points first, and then a description, I will add them to a list in this post for easy reading.

Alpha Centauri 2

1. 3D graphics

2. A Multiplayer environment better than Gamespy!

3. Keep game mechanics fairly similar since it works great.

4. Revamp helicopters as they are too powerful

5. Add more factions

6. Better AI

7. Rebalancing

8. More flexible design workshop.

9. More story.

10. Remake

11. Bugs fixed

12. New game, with awesome ideas taken from Alpha Centauri

13. Not 3D Graphics

14. Rotatable camera

15. Good story

16. Relate to characters

17. Better diplomacy

18. Angry citizens at being conquered

19. No conflicting Social choices

Edited by RMcD94

1. 3D graphics

2. A Multiplayer environment better than Gamespy!

3. Keep game mechanics fairly similar since it works great.

4. Revamp helicopters as they are too powerful

5. Add more factions

6. Let me just make a note that this would be one of the easiest games to remake as the game itself is still popular, the CIV crowd would jump on board and the best part about it is the game itself doesn't really need that much work. Just graphics need to be redone - can be cartoony tho, doesn't need to be ultra-realistic. So minimum cost $$ compared to the financial returns in my opinion. If a small game company took this under the win they could seriously make alot of money.

I'd actually say that one of the main things about AC that drew me in was the sci fi setting. I actually think that a graphics reboot, unless done very cleverly, would ruin part of the game. If you have better graphics then you lose the ability to just imagine what the world is like.

Rogue-likes and other ASCII games rely on this principle.

Besides that, working multiplayer networking is a must. A Game master mode for more fun games (they would have some power over the random events and such). More multiplayer options would also be good, what about a simultaneous turn system for PBEM games (i.e. turn order doesn't matter, as in the space empire games).

Or maybe a central server that you could run PBEM style games through without the need to actually find the save and email it (the system would do it for you and then sync the new save with all players).

More clever multiplayer systems like that.

Rebalancing (ensure that there are more workable tactics).

Better AI (we have the technology)

More flexible design workshop.

More story. (try to keep it sensible, personally, I never play with progenitors, I think they ruin the story)

I always come back to the Star Wars prequels. Maybe SMAC(X) can be topped, but I wouldn't bet that a sequel would even be as good.

I think what to aim for would be essentially the same game (it's just that well-made a game) with the bugs fixed and an updated look- I don't particularly need either, but I'd be glad to see all the new SMACers.

In other words, I pretty much agree with you guys.

In fact, what I really want is another game that takes some of the ideas of Alpha Centauri and creates something wonderful and new.

I don't really want a sequel.

The Hell with 3D!

I still play Europa Universalis 2 and Space Empires IV.

When I see what their successors look like with 3D, I wonder what's so great about it. :angry:

Does having a rotate camera ability force it to be 3D? I'm thinking no. Because the unit would just look the same maybe pointing in a different direction (I actually dislike that in the garrison screen, I want them all pointing the same way!).

If that's the case the rotatable camera, I want one of those if it goes 3D too mind.

Better AI is most definitely on the top of my list.

I remember one game where... as the Gaians... I had around 18 cities and an unparalleled military with the most technology out of all of the other factions.

The Morganites... who were stuck on a small island with 3 cities and almost no military... declared war on me for no reason. I wiped him out in 2 turns. This is not what I would call smart AI.

Tweaked graphics would also be nice.

Better AI is most definitely on the top of my list...

i agree, even if this will be the end on CMNing :)

you see, in one of my SMAC PBEMs Mart (the CMN of that game) managed to build a very nice scenario with very strong AIs. i'm in 2213 now and it took me 110 turns to be first in the power graph and the University (one of the AIs) is still leading in tech, not to mention that it will take another 20-30 years to conquer his bases. ( good job Mart! :b: )

Edited by bdanv
typo

Some new (and more balanced) game mechanics would be useful. (I liked the different terraforming civics and options in the planetfall mod, so something of a similar complexity might be good.)

I liked the graphics just fine, (unlike a lot of people, apparently), so something similar would be fine.

An improved faction editor would be good. (Making new faction graphics was interesting, and does give me some confidence for modding games in the future, but the faction editor could still use some improvements.)

The design workshop worked all right, but a more interesting combat system would be useful.

I liked the graphics just fine, (unlike a lot of people, apparently), so something similar would be fine.
The units graphics were terrible, though, because only the chassis really made the units look differently. Only very few weapons (e.g. the plasma shard) looked distinct enough to really see them on the map - that's bad interface design to me and was lamented by Soren on his blog as well.

I believe 3D graphics could help there, different animations, 3D effects, attached models etc. could go a long way to increase the distinctiveness of units (similar to the way a lot of RPGs use the flexibility to 3D graphics to interactively show equipment and equipped weapons etc.)

That's why I think new graphics, with a decent art direction that embraces the SMAC style, could help a lot, not only with keeping a fresh look, but also with making it more accessible.

Cheers, LT.

I thought the unit graphics were very good, it's always easy to tell what a unit is by looking at it. Simple and iconic style, I liked it.

I would further add that I came to an important realization during a discussion with Draz and Solver in Site this afternoon:

The single thing that makes SMAC the superior Civ game it is isn't the game play; it plays a lot like CivII. It's not the graphics- a lot of people don't like the weird alien color scheme of Planet at all. Nugog keeps saying "retina burn" and the like to me. It's not the quotes and the references to science and all the educational bits: the official Civs have that to various extents.

What makes SMAC(X) the best of the Civ games? It has a plot. The leaders have very distinct personalities- there's a common beginning-point to the story of the game, and there's a narrative throughout, up to the end.

It's not something that straight Civ can easily do, by the nature of the thing.

So really, what I'd demand from an ACII would be a new story as good as the first. I don't really care if anything else is changed, even to fixing the bugs. I want back that magic from 12 years ago of exploring a new world as I participate in a new unfolding -profound- epic.

That's all.

^^

As BU said. If there is to be another iteration of the AC series, let it have a narrative. I'd be just as happy with other games going to the same measures to create depth, though.

I would say that the tech quotes and other small things really do add to that narrative. Most of them are by the faction leaders, so that makes their characters more real to us and therefore allows us to relate to them more...

It grants immersion.

Yes, exactly. All those little extras combine to tell us a story. An AC2 without that depth of thought wouldn't be a proper AC.

I wholeheartedly agree with both DrazharLn and Buster's Uncle... having personalized storylines unfold for each of the factions added a perfect touch of role playing to the game, like you were playing a distinct individual rather than a generic character.

The tech voice overs would also be a definite must for any sequel....

Aria

Better control over diplomacy between nations. As it currently stands, the first human player to make contact with the AI factions will enjoy a huge bonus, because they can "milk" the AIs for tech, credits, and maps. Once the first human has done that, the others will have to work much harder to come up with something to hold the AI's trading interest.

Also, in Civ3 there was an interesting mechanic whereby each nation's citizens in their cities retained their original "tribe" identifier. When you conquered the city, the foreign citizens would be treated as unhappy citizens for as long as you remained at war with their home nation. I thought this made "POLICE" SE choices important in prosecuting an offensive war, and it would allow two sides to the SE dynamic: a low-police nation might not have too much difficulty fielding a defensive army, but they'd find it really hard to muster up any degree of forward momentum in conquering other nations. They'd have to devote a lot of time and attention to each individual conquered city to keep them in line.

Conflicting SE choices. Eg, no running thought control and democracy.

I think he means that you shouldn't be able to run SE choices that don't make sense.

E.g. Thought controlled democracy... I can't think of any others

There's nothing to stop you if they're on different levels.

I think he means that you shouldn't be able to run SE choices that don't make sense.

E.g. Thought controlled democracy... I can't think of any others

Oh, I think it does make sense to a certain extent. Think of it as a democracy, but with massive amounts of propaganda, brainwashing etc.

In a police state, obedience is enforced by control and surveillance, with thought control they even watch your thoughts! (think 1984) - whereas the thought control democracy makes the people willingly obedient, makes them mellow, so they just follow you and like it (a bit more like Brave New World).

Cheers, LT.

Oh, I think it does make sense to a certain extent. Think of it as a democracy, but with massive amounts of propaganda, brainwashing etc.

Like the US right now, then.