DaemonStrassur

SMAX in XP: Help!

31 posts in this topic

I have the SoldOut SMAC/SMAX 'Windows Vista compatible' version of the game.

This works fine when installed in a Windows 98 Virtual Machine.

However running it in other operating systems is far more trixy.

I am currently trying to get SMAX to run on a Windows XP virtual machine (rather than my Win7 box). I've followed the instructions for installation as posted by DrazharLn on here.

When I try to run terran.exe it instantly crashes with the 'terran.exe encountered an error and needed to close' message.

When I try to run terranx.exe I see the SMAX splash screen but after a little while this crashes with 'terranx.icd encoutered an error...' message.

Compatibility modes do not appear to help.

Any suggestions ?

Petek often suggests re-installing in these sorts of cases- sometimes that works.

However, since it works in a Windows 98 Virtual Machine, I very much doubt that doing that will help this time. Hope someone has a better idea.

Edit: Ah. I see the Man Himself is here. Be patient and do everything he says- I rarely see him stumped.

Edited by Buster's Uncle

Ah, thank you... I have tried a re-installation already so I'll see what else Petek suggests.

Well, I don't have the Sold Out version, making troubleshooting more difficult. Lots of others are having problems with this version, but everyone seems to be able to get it to run, eventually.

Since you're getting a terranx.icd error in SMAX, you may not have downloaded and installed the "unofficial patch". It may be found here. Try that and see what happens. If SMAC still doesn't work, try copying terran.exe directly from the installation CD to your hard drive. Please post again if something still doesn't work.

Petek

Hi Petekm thanks for the suggestions.

Copying directly from the installation CD results in both terran.exe and terranx.exe displaying the splash screen and the programme exciting quietly.

As I understand the installation instructions for the unofficial patch it only requires copying the terranx.exe over the one on my HDD. Running this results in an instant terranx.icd error as described before; no splash screen.

i don't know if you have the problem fixed, but i have the sold out version, bought recently (to update me to SMAX) now i had a problem, saying my cpu is not supported (pentium4/windows XP), this was the solution:

You will need to modify a line in the Alpha Centauri.ini that is located in the game folder. To do this:

Double click on My Computer

Double click on the C: Local Drive (your Hard Drive or the drive that the game is installed to)

Double click on the Program Files Folder

Double click on the Firaxis Games Folder

Double click on the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Folder]

Double click on the Alpha Centauri.ini File (The file looks like a read me text file with a little gold symbol on it).

Once the file is open in Notepad, change:

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

to

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Be sure to save your changes, then run the game. You may still receive the error message. If it occurs, click OK and the game will load fine.

Thanks to Kaboth on CivFanatics for that! (i was going mad when i couldn't get SMAX to work)

Are you a different handle at CFC, Larrin? I don't recall you there.

Thanks Larrin. I have seen that solution a number of places although it's not the solution to my problem as I don't get that error message. My Alpha Centauri.ini file is blank as the program never gets far enough to populate it for the first time.

Hi Petekm thanks for the suggestions.

Copying directly from the installation CD results in both terran.exe and terranx.exe displaying the splash screen and the programme exciting quietly.

As I understand the installation instructions for the unofficial patch it only requires copying the terranx.exe over the one on my HDD. Running this results in an instant terranx.icd error as described before; no splash screen.

Let's concentrate, for the moment, on SMAX. If you successfully installed the unofficial patch, then you should not be getting a terranx.icd error. In your SMAC folder, what is the size and date of terranx.exe? It should be size 3012 KB, date 3/27/2009. If the date is earlier and the size smaller, then the unofficial patch didn't install correctly. If this is the case, then perhaps you don't have sufficient permissions to overwrite the existing file? Please post again after checking this.

Petek

I've checked terranx.exe and it has size 3012 KB and was last modified at 8:43pm on 3/27/2009.

Edit: Should any other files have been copied accross with the unofficial patch?

Edited by DaemonStrassur

I've checked terranx.exe and it has size 3012 KB and was last modified at 8:43pm on 3/27/2009.

Edit: Should any other files have been copied accross with the unofficial patch?

There are some other files in the unofficial patch download, but only the modified terranx.exe affects gameplay. Here's the reason that I think that the terranx.icd error shouldn't occur: The patched terranx.exe replaces both the original terranx.exe and terranx.icd. The icd file shouldn't be invoked. What happens if you execute the patched terranx.exe directly from the SMAC folder? If that works, perhaps you have a shortcut that's pointing to a different location.

Petek

Sorry i couldn't be more help, i'm sure that your problem has been dealt with somewhere, i have read about it before, but never had those problems myself, i'm sure Petek knows what he(/she)'s doing, but i'll make sure to let you know if i see a thread with a solution for you first!

I'm not on CivFanatics, but have browsed their forums on occasion before i signed up here... where else do you need to go when we have :zak: here!

Running the patched terranx.exe directly results in 'terranx.exe has encountered an error and needs to close...' immediately. No splash screen.

Running the patched terranx.exe directly results in 'terranx.exe has encountered an error and needs to close...' immediately. No splash screen.

OK, will have to think about this. Back tomorrow.

Petek

I just picked up a copy of the latest sold out version of SMAC(X) (don't thank me, I was going to get one anyway), I'll be testing that out when I get time. Of course, I might not get the same error as you.

@DaemonStrassur,

So I don't understand why starting SMAX one way results in the icd error, but executing the unofficial patch exe gives a different error. Do you have more than one copy of the game installed in different folders? You should have only one copy of terranx.exe and that should be the unofficial patch copy. Can you please check this out and make sure that you have just one clean copy of the game installed? Thanks.

Petek

Hey everyone

I am encountering the exact same problem on my machine. I am trying to install the original version of SMAC without the crossfire expansion. As soon as I try to run it I get "terran.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" So far I have tried installing the SMAC4 update and the 2000/XP update to no avail. I've also copied the entire CD contents onto my harddrive and reinstalled from that. The machine I am trying to install on is an acer netbook running Windows XP Pro. Here are the some of the specs

CPU: Intel Atom Z520 @ 1.33Ghz

2.0 GB RAM

Onboard Intel 500 Graphics 8Mb Shared (maxed out)

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

I've tried everything I can think of on this

Have you made sure the shortcut is running terran.exe directly? And have you tried all the compatability settings?

Welcome to the Playground, BTW. Do check the avatar thread up a level.

No go, shortcut goes directly to terran.exe, and tried all the compatability modes. I'm going to try them again with a un-updated install

That's about the limit for me helping without sitting down at your computer and poking around. If the re-install doesn't work, have a look around this forum at where Petek has helped others to see if that advice works- if all else fails, he or someone else better suited will show up eventually and suggest something else; they're really good. I know it's hard to be patient, but do try. Good luck.

Got it! woohoo!

Installed with 2000/XP compatability patch only, havent tried SMAC4 yet. Anyway I unchecked the compatability mode and checked 256 colors. Didn't work so I copied this into my blank alphacentauri.ini file and it worked.

[]

[Alpha Centauri]

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

ds3d=0

eax=0

MainFontSize=16

InterludeFontSize=16

Prefs Format=11

Difficulty=4

Map Type=2

Top Menu=0

Faction=3

Preferences=10111011111000011101110110110110

More Preferences=1110100111000101101000

Semaphore=00000000

Announce=111100001110101001

Rules=1101000001110

Customize=1

Custom World=2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,

Time Controls=1

Latest Save=

Latest Scenario=

Directdraw=0

I think its the directdraw line, forces it to run at your desktop res. Thanks guys :)

GREAT! Don't be a stranger, now. We'd love to hear questions and comments about your SMAC(X) experiences, and the MPers would love to whoop on you, and there's all kinds of stuff in the general forum.

Have fun taking over Planet.

ecarmine, was your alpha centauri.ini file completely empty when you were getting the error?

If so, the presence or absence of the Directdraw line may have been immaterial.

If not, that line may be a bug fixer.

If you have the time, could you try running SMAC without that line?

Thanks