Lancer

Interesting YouTube Vids

723 posts in this topic

Aircars...

I'll just put the first one.

Zkrib has been talking about these...

The Maginot Line. Everything I heard was baloney, watch these vids...

Edited by Lancer

About the Maginot line (watched all 5): As noble as the moderators´ intention of honoring those who defended it may be, his version of history is much more of a myth than what he tries to defy: That from a military point of view, the maginot line was a big fault. It did have some sense to it, but that was not purely military and i will mention it later, after mentioning some points as to why for military reasons alone, it was not a good idea:

- The very first and most profound reason is, that a line of fortresses is a weapon of static defence - and these two little words reflect best, the attitude that lead to the complete failure of france´s military effort in 1940: ´Static´ and ´Defence´. The french military doctrine had simply neglected every lesson since 1917 (the change that took the advantage from the defensive to the offensive already became evident in the late stages of WWI) and still believed that a good defensive system is unsurmountable. When the author states that the line was merely intended to allow for enough time to rush up reserves, he just merely decribes the early WW1 pattern of battle in his own words. In the end, those reserves would be rushed up in the intention of holding the line indefinetely, causing the enemy´s advance to grind to a hold.

- As the author mentions, the Maginot Line absorbed a lot of troops. And not only a lot of them, but the best of them, too. Young engineers, who would formely join the legion, now went into the concrete. In military terms, they were pinned even without any enemy attack. The technically sophisticated forts needed, at least upto a certain portion, to be manned by qualified professionals. Had the line indeed been extended to the sea, there would have been hardly anything left of the french army and it would have turned entirely static, easy prey for any attacker, who would be able to choose any point along it to attack it with concentrated force.

- The line itself became not only a tactical, but a strategic objective to the french military thinking. It needed to be held at all costs. The withdrawal from it was not a mistake, as the author states, it merely came way too late. When the decision of the battle could have been predicted to take place where it did (in the north of france, not in the west - just like in the previous war), France still maintained a 2.5:1 superiority at the maginot line, facing army group C. When Guderian had crossed the Meuse and was ready to roll his tanks towards the channel, setting the stage for dunkerque, all the french high command was concerned with, was a possible encirclement of the ML, and issued orders accordingly.

So why did the ML make sense after all. Where the french really only stupid, and nothing else, building it, instead of reinforcing their field army? Well, perhaps not, because it would have had one far-fetching consequence in a slightly different scernario. Assuming that the people who designed it, did not know, that the german attack to come one day would be presaged by a german invasion of poland, causing the UK to declare war on them, they probably assumed as a start for the assumption, that the next war, would roughly be a repeatition of the last (as they did in many other things as well). At the start of WW1, germany, with its long thought-out war-plan to beat france before russia would be fully mobilized, decided to attack france first and beat it fast. Already in 1914 the french had a line of fortresses along what then used to be the german-french border, which was, on top of that, the roughest terrain along the french northern border. Thus, for speeds´ and surprises´ sake, the germans opted to invade through belgium. That in turn brought the UK into the war.

So what the maginot line did, though again in the event it never had to deliver, was to ensure, that should france get attacked by germany again, they would most likely, again, opt for the route via belgium, and that in turn would most probably, again, result in the UK joining the french in their war against germany. The Maginot Line ensured, that should it be attacked by germany, france would have a fleet, as a cynic might want to put it.

Very interesting!

My own small contribution to this is to echo what Mr. Scruffy said. Specifically, the received wisdom I've heard was that the Maginot Line was not so much a folly as rapidly outdated. The French army in 1940 was powerful by WWI standards, but was obsoleted by radio communications, mobile armor, and air power.

They weren't so much incompetent as outdated.

Good post Scruffy. No wonder you are called Mr. :b:

Glad you guys had fun with it. Here's another, how they r e a l l y built the pyramids.

I can't find the Unsolved Mysteries show on the Loretto Chapel Staircase but here's this vid. When it was originally built it had no railing. As a carpenter I can tell you the feat achieved in the building of that staircase is no small thing. It must be a large spring, but all made of cut wood and put together with pegs. I am in awe. I watched Leonard Nimoy do an Unsolved Mystery show on the structure in the 80s and never forgot. Great music...

If you've never heard of the Coral Castle you really should watch this. While the Lorreto Stairs are amazing, the Coral Castle is impossible.

Natalie Portman goes bad

:eeeek: that was really quite ... uh ... interesting

On a more wholesome note, here's Cher, Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci rocking out in the closing scene of "Mermaids."

Edited by Zkribbler

Perhaps an even more normal day in the Finnish army. Inspiring music...

Edited by Lancer

Fasten your seatbelts!

Edited by Lancer

UFO, wormhole, blackhole, Russian missile or other?

BTW, this was early Wednesday morning northern Norway.

I just DanSed you and put a second one in there. The reverse angle on the first one was accomplished using time dilation.

I watched the news story on that Dale, they think its a Russian missile misbehaving. Very cool spiral.

It's funny how the Russians emphatically denied it for the first 12 hours and now they're saying "yeah, it was us. Hehehehe"

Not as interesting as an alien spaceship but on a slow news night we take what we can get.

Russian idiots put the wings on backwards. ;)

Edited by Lancer

Yup and here's the 5th generation fighter they mention in your link...

(artists conception only)

I thought this was kinda funny.

Edited by Dale

Huh. That didn't seem to work.

Edited by Dale